Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM

86 posts, read 141,907 times

Advertisements

We can't afford Christian school any longer for our daughter. She had to enroll in public school. We didn't think it would be a problem. Now, were starting to realize the lies that are taught referencing our descension from God and Christ's existence and our purpose in this life.

Times are much tougher then when we had to go through public school. I remember science teachers teaching us about evolution, that man came from apes, and everything exist due to a big bang theory.

All lies, it is terrible. We pray that she will see these for what they are and stay with the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
We can't afford Christian school any longer for our daughter. She had to enroll in public school. We didn't think it would be a problem. Now, were starting to realize the lies that are taught referencing our descension from God and Christ's existence and our purpose in this life.

Times are much tougher then when we had to go through public school. I remember science teachers teaching us about evolution, that man came from apes, and everything exist due to a big bang theory.

All lies, it is terrible. We pray that she will see these for what they are and stay with the truth.
You need to find a different forum. These posts are not specific to the Triangle.

You should try:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

//www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/

Old 09-23-2007, 08:54 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Please vent your issues in the correct area of this forum. This has nothing to do with the triangle.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,032 times
and you think the concept that a god one day just said "poof! there is a human" (also a theory for which there is no evidence) is more plausible and that should be taught as fact to all children in school? sorry but science should be kept in school and religion at home.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:02 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,421 times
Excuse me, but it's not lies. It's a scientific theory, taught in science class. It's not absolute fact - and neither is Christianity. Christianity is a religion; a belief. Religion is not taught in public schools.

I was raised a Christian, and also taught Darwin's theory of evolution in school. I was never told that my faith was wrong. I had no problems reconciling the two.

You might want to do some reading on theistic evolution. From the article I linked:

Quote:
Many denominations of Christianity support or accept theistic evolution. For example, on 12 February 2006 the 197th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth was commemorated by "Evolution Sunday" where the message that followers of Christ do not have to choose between biblical stories of creation and evolution was taught in classes and sermons at Methodist, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Unitarian, Congregationalist, United Church of Christ, Baptist and community churches.[4]

Additionally, the National Council of Churches USA has issued a teaching resource to "assist people of faith who experience no conflict between science and their faith and who embrace science as one way of appreciating the beauty and complexity of God’s creation." This resource cites the Episcopal Church, according to whom the stories of creation in Genesis "should not be understood as historical and scientific accounts of origins but as proclamations of basic theological truths about creation."
BTW, one of the supporters of theistic evolution is Billy Graham.

Everything's a theory. The actual truth is not known until you die.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
easy does it guys, let's not gang up on a person who is new to the forum.

To the original poster, look, I'm a Christian too, however, I will tell you right now that you will not be able to stop your child from learning anything, including evolution. Although I don't really believe in evolution, I cannot say: it's all lies, because I really don't know for sure and I think religion and science has a lot of connection. But anyway, you are not asking me about that, since you made your beliefs clear.

What I'm saying is, your child is an individual. You need to let her learn, but at the same time explaining why you believe the way you believe. Let her make her own mind. Trying to shelter her away from other beliefs/religions/science etc... will only want her to learn more.

I know that the best I can do for my son is let him explore, but continuing to model my own beliefs.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
easy does it guys, let's not gang up on a person who is new to the forum.

To the original poster, look, I'm a Christian too, however, I will tell you right now that you will not be able to stop your child from learning anything, including evolution. Although I don't really believe in evolution, I cannot say: it's all lies, because I really don't know for sure and I think religion and science has a lot of connection. But anyway, you are not asking me about that, since you made your beliefs clear.

What I'm saying is, your child is an individual. You need to let her learn, but at the same time explaining why you believe the way you believe. Let her make her own mind. Trying to shelter her away from other beliefs/religions/science etc... will only want her to learn more.

I know that the best I can do for my son is let him explore, but continuing to model my own beliefs.
Excellent post. I completely agree - let children learn what's right for themselves, rather than telling them what they must believe.

Bringing children up in a certain faith is one thing, but to tell them that everything else out there is a lie is very wrong, IMHO. There's no absolute proof of what constitutes the truth and what is a lie.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:54 PM

560 posts, read 2,188,449 times
Short of homeschooling there isn't much you will be able to do. On the other hand, many religions support the theory of evolution along with creationism and you can help cement this theory at home. It is all theory anyway and you can explain to her that theories are not fact and that just like different religious beliefs, there are different theories of how the world began. I think it will only be a big deal if you make it one. I also have my children in Catholic school but I teach in the public school and our science books not only discuss evolution they also touch on creationism, believe it or not.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Excellent post. .
Thank you.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
I went to public schools, as did most of my close friends; all of whom are Christians. Don't worry about it. Your child will make up their own minds when they're older. I know people that were raised in strong Christian households and attended religious schools, only to fall away from religion when they became adults. I know people who attended public schools and whom are religious adults. You can't control this. We should all be exposed to every theory. Let the school teach their thing and teach what you want at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity