Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree with your posts in this thread, pcamps. I have long thought that satan/the adversary in the book of Job was symbolic of Job himself. And representative of what I believe is a misconception many people had (and still have): that God intervenes in our physical world.
Pleroo, that does not make sense that Satan is Job himself. Do you really think Job would purposely bring all that evil on himself and then wonder why it all came upon him?

Sometimes I really wonder about how people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:18 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Pleroo, that does not make sense that Satan is Job himself. Do you really think Job would purposely bring all that evil on himself and then wonder why it all came upon him?

backatcha.

No, I don't think Job would purposely bring evil on himself. I believe the point in Job is that our perception of God, when it is fear based -- if we are fearful that God will punish us for any misstep -- can subconsciously bring evil (calamity) on us.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Tell me what you believe Job is saying by this statement he made

For the thing which I greatly feared IS come upon me, and that which I was afraid of IS come unto me

Did he fear good was going to happen to him or evil ?.
Eusebius, could you respond to this post please.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
backatcha.

No, I don't think Job would purposely bring evil on himself. I believe the point in Job is that our perception of God, when it is fear based -- if we are fearful that God will punish us for any misstep -- can subconsciously bring evil on us.
That is not what the book of Job is about or says concerning the evil that came on Job. So why even say it? I can say the book is all about purple submarines contacting alien life in another galaxy but is that what the book actually says?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:23 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
That is not what the book of Job is about or says concerning the evil that came on Job. So why even say it? I can say the book is all about purple submarines contacting alien life in another galaxy but is that what the book actually says?
I say it for the same reason I assume you say the things you do. I think it's true.

It's what I take away from the book of Job. Ymmv.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:

You mean like God, satan and man all being the cause behind the same incident, then using anyone of the 3 to justify your doctrine.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Why is it, that common sense evades people?

I know, Satan is cleaver and tricky; and God had to prove a point.
Send in the thieves, tornado's, and take the lives of his children ...
... but, you cannot take his life? Talk about false conceptions!
Quote:
Jerwade, I don't see what you are getting at. Could you elaborate?
Calamity happens from time to time, which can be extremely adverse.
Would it not be: How we respond that matters?

"When life deals you lemons, make lemonade."

In other words, there is no reason to play the blame-game.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Job 42:8-11 Now take for yourselves seven bullocks and seven rams. Go to my servant Job, and offer up an ascent offering
on behalf of yourselves. And Job, my servant, he shall pray for you. For then I shall lift up his face by not inflicting on you
any disgrace. For you did not speak concerning Me what is rightly so as My servant Job has done. (9) So they went,
Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, and they did just as Yahweh had spoken to them.
And Yahweh lifted up Job's face. (10) Then Yahweh Himself turned back the captivity of Job when he prayed on behalf of
his associates. And Yahweh added to all that Job had by a double portion. (11) All his brothers and all his sisters came
to him and all his acquaintances from before, and they ate bread with him in his house. Then they condoled with him and
comforted him over all the evil that Yahweh had brought upon him
. Each of them gave to him one kesitah, and each,
one pendant of gold.

Job said God gives and God takes away. That is the right thing to say. If anyone says otherwise then they align themselves with Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:50 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Julian658,

He did not personally kill the children.
Why do some of you have such a low view of God? How could God who is infinite goodness be remotely related to the murder of children? DO you realize that the primitive barbaric men from that era humanize God?

Quote:
But the book of Job does not paint God in a bad way, so why do you try to as if the sole thing to take away from the writing is that "God is a killer of children." Really?
The story paints God as a frivolous God who simply makes a Bet with Satan as though is Satan was someone that important. And, yes in this story God comes out as a killer of children. But, you somehow rationalize this murders.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Job 42:8-11 Now take for yourselves seven bullocks and seven rams. Go to my servant Job, and offer up an ascent offering
on behalf of yourselves. And Job, my servant, he shall pray for you. For then I shall lift up his face by not inflicting on you
any disgrace. For you did not speak concerning Me what is rightly so as My servant Job has done. (9) So they went,
Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, and they did just as Yahweh had spoken to them.
And Yahweh lifted up Job's face. (10) Then Yahweh Himself turned back the captivity of Job when he prayed on behalf of
his associates. And Yahweh added to all that Job had by a double portion. (11) All his brothers and all his sisters came
to him and all his acquaintances from before, and they ate bread with him in his house. Then they condoled with him and
comforted him over all the evil that Yahweh had brought upon him
. Each of them gave to him one kesitah, and each,
one pendant of gold.

Job said God gives and God takes away. That is the right thing to say. If anyone says otherwise then they align themselves with Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar.
You might as well posted "if you do not believe what i do you are believing wrong" . Could you at least have a go at explaining what it possibly could have been Job was fearing and give your reason why it was not the woes he was experiencing at the time he said "that which i greatly fear came is come upon me" ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity