Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,664 times

Advertisements

So, I was reading some posts on some different FB pages and such and noticed something from a couple of people that, I have to say somewhat bothered me. I respect for them because they truly believe in what they are saying and think they are following the Bible. It bothered me because why or how could any human being change their views or personal beliefs just because a church, priest or church elder or pastor told them to?

There was this one person who has stated that he believed in waterboarding and didn't think of it as torture. Now, this post is NOT about politics or your political views, so please politics aside. Anyway, this person said that he would modify his views and/or beliefs if a Bishop or Priest told him that they were against church doctrine. He said that there would be no questioning it at all and that it was up to him to follow all church doctrine, even if he had to change his political views and/or beliefs.

Am I all alone with the fact that there is no way I could automatically change or modify my beliefs and/or views just because someone from my church told me to do so? I realize that I am a bit different than most Christians in that I refuse to follow any certain denomination or set of doctrines, but I can't believe that anyone would give up their free will to change their thoughts about anything because someone from the church told them something different. I am sorry but it just doesn't seem right to me and leaves me to think that it is why this person is so comfortable being in this certain denomination, because he doesn't really have to think for himself and believes and follows all the church tells him.

OK, I am off the soapbox now. Let the flogging begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
So, I was reading some posts on some different FB pages and such and noticed something from a couple of people that, I have to say somewhat bothered me. I respect for them because they truly believe in what they are saying and think they are following the Bible. It bothered me because why or how could any human being change their views or personal beliefs just because a church, priest or church elder or pastor told them to?

There was this one person who has stated that he believed in waterboarding and didn't think of it as torture. Now, this post is NOT about politics or your political views, so please politics aside. Anyway, this person said that he would modify his views and/or beliefs if a Bishop or Priest told him that they were against church doctrine. He said that there would be no questioning it at all and that it was up to him to follow all church doctrine, even if he had to change his political views and/or beliefs.

Am I all alone with the fact that there is no way I could automatically change or modify my beliefs and/or views just because someone from my church told me to do so? I realize that I am a bit different than most Christians in that I refuse to follow any certain denomination or set of doctrines, but I can't believe that anyone would give up their free will to change their thoughts about anything because someone from the church told them something different. I am sorry but it just doesn't seem right to me and leaves me to think that it is why this person is so comfortable being in this certain denomination, because he doesn't really have to think for himself and believes and follows all the church tells him.

That's what religion is. You follow and believe the same thing as the rest of the people at your church. You have to throw your mind out of the window, that's the way it works.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:

Honest and challenging post and it isn't about politics, it is about following church doctrine - no matter how much it may conflict with human moral values.

Let the flogging, as you say, begin.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
People are often presented with conflicts in their beliefs. Choosing a method to resolve such conflicts is not unusual, but the one you note does not appeal to me either. I'd rather do some more in depth investigation into the facts and reasons behind such stances. In the example given of waterboarding a simple appeal to the golden rule would work for me; I would not want to go through it.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM

110 posts, read 104,411 times
Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

I don't blindly follow any man. What my Pastor says is always measured against scriptures. Like many Baptist churches we have a statement of faith. These are suppose to line up with scriptures. They were voted upon when the church began. They unlike a Creed can be altered by a majority vote of the congregation. People who join the church understand up front what we believe and teach. There is usually a family or two attending services who are not members because they believe we are wrong on a particular doctrine. They are not asked to leave or even remain silent. I suppose if someone became disruptive something would be said.

We believe that everyone is personally responsible to God and must act out their faith in good conscience. We call this "soul liberty" and it is part of our articles of faith(part of the statement of faith).

Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:

That is what religion is all about.

Some follow their preacher or their church. Others follow the bible word by word. This is never a good idea.

It is best to follow the Golden Rule in this instance.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post

I don't blindly follow any man.
Good for you!

Quote:
What my Pastor says is always measured against scriptures.
Ouch! I guess the pastor tells folks what they want to hear.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:27 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
That's what religion is. You follow and believe the same thing as the rest of the people at your church. You have to throw your mind out of the window, that's the way it works.
So religion by its very nature rejects the idea of man's free will?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So religion by its very nature rejects the idea of man's free will?
Yes!!!!!!

But, laws do the same thing. And I am amazed most people follow the traffic law while driving.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Good for you!

Ouch! I guess the pastor tells folks what they want to hear.
You don't think it's a good idea to follow the words of the apostles over a pastor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity