Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,459,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
For you the bible is everything. A true Sola Scriptura person.

OK, I get that.

But, why do you assume that only YOU have the truth?
The assumption, based on study, is that the Bible has the truth.

Man may miss seeing some of it or distort it or listen to false teachers of it, so real study is needed not just superficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 AM

18,520 posts, read 9,203,092 times
Quote:
Sure, this is new territory for a novice atheist. I discuss these issues because I am a Catholic, it is that simple. Otherwise, I have no clue about what is God. Everything is a guess! But, I don't think it is important to know that.

But, don't worry, I was once like you. Been there done that!
It sounds like your Catholicism is mainly a cultural / ethnic identity thing rather than a religious thing. For you, being Catholic is like being Irish, Polish, etc. Do I understand you correctly?

There's a similar phenomenon in Judaism if I'm not mistaken.

You and I are probably on the same page when it comes to the claims of devout believers. No need for me to argue further.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,370,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It sounds like your Catholicism is mainly a cultural / ethnic identity thing rather than a religious thing. For you, being Catholic is like being Irish, Polish, etc. Do I understand you correctly?

There's a similar phenomenon in Judaism if I'm not mistaken.

You and I are probably on the same page when it comes to the claims of devout believers. No need for me to argue further.
:
Exactly!

Sorry for ribbing you.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 PM

110 posts, read 105,390 times
Quote:
For you the bible is everything. A true Sola Scriptura person.

OK, I get that.

But, why do you assume that only YOU have the truth?
I once sat through a legal trial between two people. It was about a three day trial and basically boiled down to who the judge chose to believe. In sentencing the judge said he considered the testimony of both and found the one person's testimony had the ring of truth to it.

The scriptures have the ring of truth to me. It tells me a lot about the nature of man which life constantly confirms to me. I see its truths in my own life and others. The presentation of who God is is both unique and complex. Its explanation of the world is believable and rational.

I have read the writings from other religions. I like to collect doctrinal books from other Christian sects in an attempt to understand what they believe. Of course I weigh them against what I understand to be true. I've no problem believing I could be wrong.

The thing is if you've found the formula that appears to explain all the important questions of life you embrace it. Am I aware there is other formulas out there? Sure. That doesn't deter me from living and expressing what I am certain to be true. As long as what I have been taught rings true I see no reason to shrink back.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
I once sat through a legal trial between two people. It was about a three day trial and basically boiled down to who the judge chose to believe. In sentencing the judge said he considered the testimony of both and found the one person's testimony had the ring of truth to it.

The scriptures have the ring of truth to me. It tells me a lot about the nature of man which life constantly confirms to me. I see its truths in my own life and others. The presentation of who God is is both unique and complex. Its explanation of the world is believable and rational.

I have read the writings from other religions. I like to collect doctrinal books from other Christian sects in an attempt to understand what they believe. Of course I weigh them against what I understand to be true. I've no problem believing I could be wrong.

The thing is if you've found the formula that appears to explain all the important questions of life you embrace it. Am I aware there is other formulas out there? Sure. That doesn't deter me from living and expressing what I am certain to be true. As long as what I have been taught rings true I see no reason to shrink back.
I agree, our perception is our reality. And that is OK as long as you do not think your religion is better than another.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 PM

322 posts, read 243,778 times
Quote:
I agree, our perception is our reality. And that is OK as long as you do not think your religion is better than another.
A religion you do not think is any better than any other is a worthless religion. But based on your admission of being a "cultural" or Catholic in name only, I understand how you could feel that way. You basically do not have a religion but just a culture. So to not feel as though you are missing something you have to degrade all religions as if they are the same. I don't say that as a put down but just as an observation based on your claims. I suspect you will actually agree with me. My point is, you making a statement about any religion is not of much worth since you have no religion.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
A religion you do not think is any better than any other is a worthless religion. But based on your admission of being a "cultural" or Catholic in name only, I understand how you could feel that way. You basically do not have a religion but just a culture. So to not feel as though you are missing something you have to degrade all religions as if they are the same. I don't say that as a put down but just as an observation based on your claims. I suspect you will actually agree with me. My point is, you making a statement about any religion is not of much worth since you have no religion.
I would be a lunatic if I was religious or God forbid a Bible Literalist which is as bad.

You are correct, Catholicism is a HUGE part of my cultural baggage. We do Xmas, Easter, baptisms, weddings, 1st communions, conformations, Catholic Schooling, funerals, church parties, etc. And I enjoy going to mass! Whether God exists or not is moot, really who cares!

So I would never tell anyone that my religion is better no matter how crazoid they are. However, I am willing to debate within the framework of religion. I have no issues with that at all. I think it is a beautiful thing to honor The Virgin and I get emotional when I hear the Schubert Ave Maria.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Whether God exists or not is moot, really who cares!
Religious Catholics.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,603,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Many feel the church is God's voice. Fundies are hell-bent on forcing everyone to comply with their view / interpretation--I think just to make themselves feel better?

THE CAT-O-NINE-TAILS on this FREE THINKING HERETIC AMONGST Y'ALL...
That is a pretty sweeping statement there. I am one of those "fundies" you are referring to and I force nothing on anyone. In fact I am a member of a fundie church and not a single member out of about 200 people are interested in forcing anything on anyone.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,956,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is a pretty sweeping statement there. I am one of those "fundies" you are referring to and I force nothing on anyone. In fact I am a member of a fundie church and not a single member out of about 200 people are interested in forcing anything on anyone.
Of course not, they all leave THAT to God to do, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity