Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's the point, Julian. I want my congregants to verify what I say with the words of the apostles -- the Bible. If what I say contradicts it, or what they think contradicts it....we're wrong. It's not about what an individual believes...it's what God has already said. We have the Word of God through his apostles and prophets as recorded in the Bible. Don't follow a man--follow God.
How is blindly following the teachings of a religious text any different than blindly following a church or a man? I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 05:14 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
My Church is Apostolic, it does not get any better than that.
No, the Catholic church is not. The Catholic church follows their own rules and not the Bible completely!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:41 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
No, the Catholic church is not. The Catholic church follows their own rules and not the Bible completely!
Once again, this shows your ignorance regarding the Catholic Church.

Apostolic generally means Apostolic Succession. This means that Catholic priests can trace their ordination back to the Apostles.

Secondly, the Catholic Church is not a Sola Scriptura Church. The Church is based on Tradition and Apostolic Succession (besides the Scriptures).

Old 01-08-2015, 06:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's the point, Julian. I want my congregants to verify what I say with the words of the apostles -- the Bible. If what I say contradicts it, or what they think contradicts it....we're wrong. It's not about what an individual believes...it's what God has already said. We have the Word of God through his apostles and prophets as recorded in the Bible. Don't follow a man--follow God.
It comes to something when a person needs the bible to know what is right or wrong and who is right or wrong, it was never intended for that purpose, scripture is for building ourselves up in the faith, throughout them it is proclaiming have faith in God seek the Lord and you will find HIM(not whether you are right or wrong)you can have it all right and at the same time be completely wrong.

Whatsoever is not of faith is sin(unbelief).

Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It comes to something when a person needs the bible to know what is right or wrong and who is right or wrong, it was never intended for that purpose, scripture is for building ourselves up in the faith, throughout them it is proclaiming have faith in God seek the Lord and you will find HIM(not whether you are right or wrong)you can have it all right and at the same time be completely wrong.

Whatsoever is not of faith is sin(unbelief).
Faith in what???? If you have absolute faith that the earth is flat then you would be mistaken. Faith in the truth is the only faith that profits you something. The bible is God's word to Man. Without it, what exactly would you have faith in? How would you know anything about God's plans and purposes for your life? Plainly, you wouldn't!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Faith in what???? If you have absolute faith that the earth is flat then you would be mistaken. Faith in the truth is the only faith that profits you something. The bible is God's word to Man. Without it, what exactly would you have faith in? How would you know anything about God's plans and purposes for your life? Plainly, you wouldn't!
The Bible is not the answer. The bible is an excellent guide for Christianity, nothing else. In fact, when the Bible authors wrote the Bible they had no idea the writings would be considered Scriptural by subsequent generations. The Bible writers simply wanted to provide a guide for Christians.

Lastly, not knowing what was there before the Big Bang is a much more powerful event to generate faith than a few written words in a book. God is much more than the NT!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:32 AM

110 posts, read 104,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Bible is not the answer. The bible is an excellent guide for Christianity, nothing else. In fact, when the Bible authors wrote the Bible they had no idea the writings would be considered Scriptural by subsequent generations. The Bible writers simply wanted to provide a guide for Christians.

Lastly, not knowing what was there before the Big Bang is a much more powerful event to generate faith than a few written words in a book. God is much more than the NT!
The scriptures are God's gift to mankind. It doesn't matter if the different writers knew their work would be part of the canon. God knew and he is the author.

Biblical faith is trusting what God says. It is different than hope which is based on trusting in God's goodness rather than what He said.

Yes you can have faith in your Pope or the televangelist on TV but, that is just faith in men. Faith in God requires Him to speak. He has spoken and does speak through His scriptures.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
So, I was reading some posts on some different FB pages and such and noticed something from a couple of people that, I have to say somewhat bothered me. I respect for them because they truly believe in what they are saying and think they are following the Bible. It bothered me because why or how could any human being change their views or personal beliefs just because a church, priest or church elder or pastor told them to?

There was this one person who has stated that he believed in waterboarding and didn't think of it as torture. Now, this post is NOT about politics or your political views, so please politics aside. Anyway, this person said that he would modify his views and/or beliefs if a Bishop or Priest told him that they were against church doctrine. He said that there would be no questioning it at all and that it was up to him to follow all church doctrine, even if he had to change his political views and/or beliefs.

Am I all alone with the fact that there is no way I could automatically change or modify my beliefs and/or views just because someone from my church told me to do so? I realize that I am a bit different than most Christians in that I refuse to follow any certain denomination or set of doctrines, but I can't believe that anyone would give up their free will to change their thoughts about anything because someone from the church told them something different. I am sorry but it just doesn't seem right to me and leaves me to think that it is why this person is so comfortable being in this certain denomination, because he doesn't really have to think for himself and believes and follows all the church tells him.

OK, I am off the soapbox now. Let the flogging begin.
Many feel the church is God's voice. The problem for rational people is we realize EVERY CHURCh says something different so it is easy for us to catch on. For the fundie, their church is the ONLY church, therefore it is ALWAYS right.

I believe sincere people read the word and decide for ourselves how it fits and works in our lives. We also respect that other people can do the same. Fundies are hell-bent on forcing everyone to comply with their view / interpretation--I think just to make themselves feel better?

THE CAT-O-NINE-TAILS on this FREE THINKING HERETIC AMONGST Y'ALL...

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
The scriptures are God's gift to mankind. It doesn't matter if the different writers knew their work would be part of the canon. God knew and he is the author.

Biblical faith is trusting what God says. It is different than hope which is based on trusting in God's goodness rather than what He said.

Yes you can have faith in your Pope or the televangelist on TV but, that is just faith in men. Faith in God requires Him to speak. He has spoken and does speak through His scriptures.
Evidence? If God "knew" why is the book so disjointed and full of contradictions?

May be I can write a book about the Civil War tonight, just based on what I "know?" If I wasn't there, I CANNOT write an accurate portrayal of the facts.

I asked a friend yesterday about Paul's admonishment to women and remaining SILENT in the church. He said that was directed towards the people of his day and not applicable to us today....(ROFLMAO) to which I asked way has the HATRED for LGBT folks escalated--Jesus NEVER said anything about LGBT, and if what Paul (a mere mortal) wrote is no longer applicable today....I sincerely hope the convolutions are obvious here...

Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 AM

162 posts, read 113,145 times
Quote:
The sqabbling between those of different faiths seems a fuitless exercise; like little boys squabbling over the size of their big brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity