Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,513,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When there is disagreement we should look to the fruit of the spirit. When there is disagreement about the meaning of the Bible what do you look to?
I look to the spirit.

The spirit is what caused the Bible to be written, it is .. spirit inspired. Thus the spirit will never lead us to something in violation of clear scripture, it simply helps us understand the deeper things in God's written word. Those who claim the spirit is leading them, but are in disagreement with clear scripture (Note there are unclear scripture and even a few verses that are suspect) are of the wrong "spirit". The unclear are explained by the clear and the spirit allows that understanding to occur. Man on his own cannot do it.It isn't new revelation it is further understanding. Kinda like Acts 15. Men explained what happened found the explanation in scripture and made a decision led by the spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 05:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,989,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I look to the spirit.

The spirit is what caused the Bible to be written, it is .. spirit inspired. Thus the spirit will never lead us to something in violation of clear scripture, it simply helps us understand the deeper things in God's written word. Those who claim the spirit is leading them, but are in disagreement with clear scripture (Note there are unclear scripture and even a few verses that are suspect) are of the wrong "spirit". The unclear are explained by the clear and the spirit allows that understanding to occur. Man on his own cannot do it.It isn't new revelation it is further understanding. Kinda like Acts 15. Men explained what happened found the explanation in scripture and made a decision led by the spirit.
So, basically, you give scripture priority, but when push comes to shove you invoke the Spirit? Start with the Spirit and test those scriptures BY it.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, basically, you give scripture priority, but when push comes to shove you invoke the Spirit? Start with the Spirit and test those scriptures BY it.
If a test rejects scripture the spirit is false.

Evidence that such is correct is the huge number of different doctrines all established by people who claim to be spirit led, and are in disagreement with scripture and each other.Each claims to have tested it and they are right and the other guy is not. God is NOT stupid and does not lead people to confusion. The Bible is spirit inspired thus will never contradict or be contradicted by the spirit. They work together.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,492,265 times
Quote:

Evidence that such is correct is the huge number of different doctrines all established by people who claim to be spirit led, and are in disagreement with scripture and each other.Each claims to have tested it and they are right and the other guy is not. God is NOT stupid and does not lead people to confusion. The Bible is spirit inspired thus will never contradict or be contradicted by the spirit. They work together.
What spirit told you that?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What spirit told you that?
The same spirit that had the Bible written. Oh and the Bible confirms it.

Look at Acts 15 to see how it works.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,492,265 times
Quote:
The same spirit that had the Bible written. Oh and the Bible confirms it.

Look at Acts 15 to see how it works.
I know how it works, have been walking in the Spirit for as long as I can remember.

...was circumcised on the day I was born, and have always followed my heart.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,989,340 times
Quote:

If the scripture violates the Spirit, the scripture is false. Evidence of such is the huge number of different doctrines all established by people who claim to be following the bible. God is not stupid and did not promise people the confusion that inevitably comes from a self-contradictory book. The originals of the manuscripts may have been inspired by God (and that does not mean "dictated") but evidence of accretions and redactions to those manuscripts is pervasive. Thus it is not to be placed in authority over the Spirit, but to be subject TO the Spirit as even you have noted. Binding the Spirit to the Bible does NOT work as even that book noted.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 PM

322 posts, read 244,215 times
We test the spirits by the scripture. If your spirit does not agree with scripture then you need to stop following that false spirit. The false spirits are the reason for all the divisions and churches.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:18 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,767,758 times
Quote:
I know how it works, have been walking in the Spirit for as long as I can remember.

Being circumcised means nothing!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,392,986 times
Quote:

I was cut too! And I am not Jewish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity