Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 AM

322 posts, read 243,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
A capacity to observe and think?
So you are your final authority and not God!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
So you are your final authority and not God!
How do YOU think God communicates with us, and is it perfectly pure in all aspects? What did Jesus promise to guide us?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How do YOU think God communicates with us, and is it perfectly pure in all aspects? What did Jesus promise to guide us?
I don't know what you think! Other than that you are your own final authority and not God based on your comments.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
But you have no problem telling people their religion is not as good as your religion or that one is a lunatic if they have their religion rather than your religion!
Straw Man alert!!!!!!

I said I would be a lunatic if I took MY religion or any religion seriously.

ANd I have said at nauseam my Catholicism is no better than the religion of other people---and that includes Jews and Muslims.

This is what I said in post 67:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I would be a lunatic if I was religious or God forbid a Bible Literalist which is as bad.

You are correct, Catholicism is a HUGE part of my cultural baggage. We do Xmas, Easter, baptisms, weddings, 1st communions, conformations, Catholic Schooling, funerals, church parties, etc. And I enjoy going to mass! Whether God exists or not is moot, really who cares!

So I would never tell anyone that my religion is better no matter how crazoid they are. However, I am willing to debate within the framework of religion. I have no issues with that at all. I think it is a beautiful thing to honor The Virgin and I get emotional when I hear the Schubert Ave Maria.
Nice try, but Straw Men rarely work.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I don't know what you think! Other than that you are your own final authority and not God based on your comments.
And the point is what YOU think IS your authority unless you are going to tell me that you have heard the voice of God in direct communication with you. Acknowledging that seems to be a problem for you, or why did you not just answer the questions?

Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,706,596 times
Quote:
There are many here in this forum who hold to their own authority rather then God's. They believe and teach it is the Holy Spirit yet this holy spirit does not use nor direct or believe the scriptures to be the Word of God, the Bible for its authority to bring truth or error in what is being shared, but whatever or whenever it speaks to the person is supposedly is God's truth..... kind of scary sometimes with what this entity speaks to some of them....

Old 01-11-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
There are many here in this forum who hold to their own authority rather then God's. They believe and teach it is the Holy Spirit yet this holy spirit does not use nor direct or believe the scriptures to be the Word of God, the Bible for its authority to bring truth or error in what is being shared, but whatever or whenever it speaks to the person is supposedly is God's truth..... kind of scary sometimes with what this entity speaks to some of them....
Well it's common among non-believers.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Then when those claiming to be led by the spirit disagree and .................. obviously someone is not led by God's spirit or is led by a false spirit, so any such claim is meaningless. They cannot offer any proof but that THEY tested it. Hum they all say that and ... they still disagree on what the spirit told them. Makes them feel good, but is of no real value.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
There are some here who seem to think the fruit of the Spirit is bible verses....it isn't. Check Galations 5 again.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Then when those claiming to be led by the spirit disagree and .................. obviously someone is not led by God's spirit or is led by a false spirit, so any such claim is meaningless. They cannot offer any proof but that THEY tested it. Hum they all say that and ... they still disagree on what the spirit told them. Makes them feel good, but is of no real value.
When there is disagreement we should look to the fruit of the spirit. When there is disagreement about the meaning of the bBible what do you look to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity