Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,392,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
The scriptures are God's gift to mankind. It doesn't matter if the different writers knew their work would be part of the canon. God knew and he is the author.

Biblical faith is trusting what God says. It is different than hope which is based on trusting in God's goodness rather than what He said.

Yes you can have faith in your Pope or the televangelist on TV but, that is just faith in men. Faith in God requires Him to speak. He has spoken and does speak through His scriptures.
Would you believe in God if there was no Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 AM

18,555 posts, read 9,243,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Lastly, not knowing what was there before the Big Bang is a much more powerful event to generate faith than a few written words in a book. God is much more than the NT!
Correct. The unknown is obviously evidence for God. And not just any God, but specifically the Christian God. The unknown is certainly not evidence for Allah, Ahura Mazda, or Ra. That would be impossible! Obviously.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM

89,028 posts, read 85,578,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
No, the Catholic church is not. The Catholic church follows their own rules and not the Bible completely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin R View Post
The sqabbling between those of different faiths seems a fuitless exercise; like little boys squabbling over the size of their big brothers.
Exactly. What is the POINT of saying something like "The Catholic church follows their own rules and not the Bible completely"? Yeah, and? That's a fact. We all know it.

I suspect what the poster is implying is the unsaid part, "...and THEY'RE WRONG and MY church is RIGHT!"

Just stop with this nonsense.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Correct. The unknown is obviously evidence for God. And not just any God, but specifically the Christian God. The unknown is certainly not evidence for Allah, Ahura Mazda, or Ra. That would be impossible! Obviously.
Ha, ha!

A newbie atheist! You are funny dude. I just said the name of God is the Big Bang.

Nice Straw Man!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Julian,

How did I misrepresent you? You clearly stated that not knowing what was before the Big Bang was a "powerful event" to generate "faith." In the context of the ongoing discussion, it was a clear reference to faith in the Christian God.

Please clarify if you meant otherwise.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Julian,

How did I misrepresent you? You clearly stated that not knowing what was before the Big Bang was a "powerful event" to generate "faith." In the context of the ongoing discussion, it was a clear reference to faith in the Christian God.

Please clarify if you meant otherwise.
Catholicism is my cultural heritage. Whether God (or whatever name you want to use) exists or not is a moot point. In the end I am less religious than you (the newbie atheist).

Old 01-08-2015, 10:54 AM

110 posts, read 106,763 times
Quote:
Would you believe in God if there was no Bible?
Sure but my belief would be a matter of hope rather than faith.

I would also be at great risk of placing my faith in a false god or gods. Even in "Christian" countries we see folks embracing false Christs and false gospels. Their faith is in some man or men who plays lip service to scriptures but, follows their own imagination. God has spoken and we have an obligation to hear and heed His words.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Whether God (or whatever name you want to use) exists or not is a moot point. In the end I am less religious than you (the newbie atheist).
If the existence of God is moot than why bother discussing God and religion in these forums? It's nothing personal obviously, I just don't understand.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
Sure but my belief would be a matter of hope rather than faith.

I would also be at great risk of placing my faith in a false god or gods. Even in "Christian" countries we see folks embracing false Christs and false gospels. Their faith is in some man or men who plays lip service to scriptures but, follows their own imagination. God has spoken and we have an obligation to hear and heed His words.
For you the bible is everything. A true Sola Scriptura person.

OK, I get that.

But, why do you assume that only YOU have the truth?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
If the existence of God is moot than why bother discussing God and religion in these forums? It's nothing personal obviously, I just don't understand.
Sure, this is new territory for a novice atheist. I discuss these issues because I am a Catholic, it is that simple. Otherwise, I have no clue about what is God. Everything is a guess! But, I don't think it is important to know that.

But, don't worry, I was once like you. Been there done that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity