Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 PM

518 posts, read 471,714 times

Advertisements

I was reading a magazine I receive each month and in an article the author quoted this from another author. I am including a small quote from the article that I believe presents us with a common trait of we humans. Give it a read.

Quote:
“About 350 years ago a shipload of travelers landed on the northeast coast of America. The first year they established a town site. The next year they elected a town government. The third year the town government planned to build a road five miles westward into the wilderness. “In the fourth year the people tried to impeach their town government because they thought it was a waste of public funds to build a
road five miles westward into a wilderness. Who needed to go there anyway?"

“Here were people who had the vision to see three thousand miles across an ocean and overcome great hardships to get there. But in just a few years they were not able to see even five miles out of town.
They had lost their pioneering vision. With a clear vision of what we can become in Christ, no ocean of difficulty is too great. Without it, we rarely move beyond our current boundaries.” (L. Anderson)
I personally have seen Christians, ministers, churches, and ministers who seem to have lost their lost their vision. I am reminded of an event where Jesus sent the Apostles out ahead of him in a boat. While they were in that boat a storm came and they became afraid. Jesus walked on that stormy sea out to the boat. After the initial shock and becoming convinced it was not a ghost, one of the Apostles asked Jesus to let him come to him on the water. Jesus bid him to come to him and the walk began great. But when this Apostle took his eye off the goal, he started looking at his situation and his attention shifted back to himself and his situation. This is so often the beginning of failure for us.

On this sub-forum I see many who seem to have come here to share their faith with others and what Jesus has done for them. The very act of stepping out on this forum brings a storm. Like that Apostle they begin to sink into the murky water along with those creating the storm and take their eye off the goal. Soon they end up doing the same thing, bickering, name calling and trying to defeat someone just like the ones creating the storm. We must remember that they serve a defeated foe. We need not be concerned with their attempts to trip us up with the storms they create. We must keep our eye on the mission at hand and continue presenting the Good News of Jesus Christ and just walk right over them and the storm they are trying to hit us with.

With Jesus we can rise above anything the enemy has to throw at us. Just ignore him and keep you eye on the price. Resist him and he will flee from you. You don't have to engage him and play his game. You serve the winner and the battle is yours in Jesus Christ.

May God bless your efforts to serve Him and grant us all the wisdom to recognize where our vision should be focused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 02:48 PM

1,100 posts, read 799,937 times
Thanks for the reminder.

Still, I need Jesus's help to keep my eyes on Him. I trust Him to do it as He is my Good Shepherd.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,893,760 times
You are correct - it's easy to lose sight of the objective and the fact that Christ faced persecution (and death) far beyond any minor persecution we face.

As the old axiom states, "When you are up to your ears in alligators, it's sometimes difficult to remember that your goal was to drain the swamp."

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,318,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You are correct - it's easy to lose sight of the objective and the fact that Christ faced persecution (and death) far beyond any minor persecution we face.

As the old axiom states, "When you are up to your ears in alligators, it's sometimes difficult to remember that your goal was to drain the swamp."
A very good post.

I would add the words of Christ who said in Luke 8:1.[21] And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it

Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,471,391 times
My brothers and sisters are everyone who has lived, or will live.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Sensible, liberal Christians sail in smooth, serene waters.

I suspect some of the storms fundamentalist Christians are weathering are caused by their own huffing and puffing.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,797,983 times
Matthew 5:11,12
"Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets before you."

Old 12-20-2014, 08:16 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,318,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
My brothers and sisters are everyone who has lived, or will live.
Jerwade -
If your brothers and sisters are everyone who has lived, you are not in the family of God, where Jesus said His mother and brethren were those who hear the word of God and do it.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Jerwade -
If your brothers and sisters are everyone who has lived, you are not in the family of God, where Jesus said His mother and brethren were those who hear the word of God and do it.
Jesus was misquoted.

A lot.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,496,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Jerwade -
Now you have gone and done it; quote the Bible on a Christian forum and ..... someone will:

1. Reject it
2. Claim improperly translated
3. Added by others
4. Their spirit says it is wrong
5. Claim you are saying salvation comes by works
6. Be told it is still true for everyone as Universal Salvation is true

and on and on

Too many do NOT want anything Jesus said to be true except ............ what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity