Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM

33 posts, read 72,007 times

Advertisements

I'm curios what do Christian Universalisms believe. Do they believe that all people are saved, and that there is no hell?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Hi BWMillard, Christian Universalists or Universalist Christians believe in the eventual restoration of all people to God. We believe that all mankind will be reconciled to God through the sacrifice of Christ. All are not saved at the same time. Most Christian universalists believe that many will experience the judgments of God, hell, God's wrath but we believe that this is not an eternal or everlasting condition and the end result being the restoration of all to God. I will list some websites which can give more information. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-05-2008 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmillard View Post
I'm curios what do Christian Universalisms believe. Do they believe that all people are saved, and that there is no hell?
Hi bwmilliard, I guess I am what you would call a christian universalist. The only thing I can offer you is scripture as to why I believe as I do. I won`t give you a bunch of assumptions with no scripture. I won`t give you a bunch of man made or church doctrine with no scripture.When I talk to people who still believe the church on everlasting torment,I just show scripture that can not be refuted. So instead of them telling me what those scriptures really mean they just tell me I`m wrong and quote the I and my father are one scripture. When I give scriptural rebuttal they just say I`m wrong because they can`t refute God`s word. That is one thing I have learned, If you have the truth of God`s word then it can not be proven wrong. Isn`t that what we all want..the truth? But some refuse to even listen to God`s word. They just can`t let go of the church and mans doctrines because it is just so engrained in them. But I understand them because I was the same way for a long time. As I have stated many times,I once believed like the majority in the church. I grew up as an infant in the church. That was all I knew. Everyone around me believed the same thing. Church doctrines like eternal torment,the trinity, our free will overriding god`s sovereignty etc. etc. As I grew up those things didn`t sit right in my spirit. But I would look in the bible and see that word eternal,eternity and the church kept preaching that we have a free will to choose God and I kept thinking about the billions who had lived and never heard of Jesus. I thought about young kids who died extremely young and never prayed a sinners prayer and thought...how could they spend an absolute eternity in a literal burning hell when they only lived on this earth for a few short years..maybe 12,13,14 years. That cannot be right! I tried to accept it all on faith that God was just... because that`s what the church always said. They couldn`t explain it either because it makes no sense for a God of love to do this. But because the church has her doctrine, her only response can be..well,just accept it on faith. But I kept praying about it. God please show me your truth. If it is what most of the church is teaching then give me peace in my spirit about it. If it is not then show me, I want your truth. Give me an open mind to accept whatever your word and truth is and not be blinded by satan or any false teaching. I kept searching and finally the revelation for me was when I learned that the word eternity in our english translated bible was indeed not eternal at all but the greek word aion. The word means age or of an age or period of time. It started becoming clear to me and it all fit with God`s nature and more spiritual truths I am learning everyday. I believe the bible when God said he is the savior of ALL men! Notice the following verse and the word all. Most people have no trouble identifying Adams All to mean everyone but in the very same exact verse and in the same sentence the same word all is used again for Jesus but they don`t want to acknowledge that is the same all that is used for Adam. They want to believe Adam is greater than Jesus! The all is in the same sentence,how can it not mean the same thing? Why do we not want to believe God`s word? Because we want to follow church beliefs and doctrines instead of our own eyes!
<BLOCKQUOTE>"For even as in Adam, ALL are dying, thus ALSO, in Christ, shall ALL [this "all" is the same "all" that are dying in Adam, hence: everyone] be vivified [imparting life beyond the reaches of death]... Yet each in his own class: the Firstfruit, Christ ... For He must be reigning until [but not longer] He should be placing all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy is being abolished: death... Then the Son Himself also shall be subjected to Him [God the Father] Who subjects all to Him, that God may be ALL in ALL" (I Cor.. 15:22-28) (Emphasis mine). WOW!

Next I will list some verses that correctly translate the word aion from the greek. I got this from another website,so I can`t take credit for researching it on my own.

The Greek word "aion" is here translated properly and consistently by two different translations. Notice carefully the categories these verses fall into: BEFORE, MAKES, PAST, PRESENT, END, NEXT, FUTURE, CONTRASTING, AND ENDS. It is not possible to use any one of these words in conjunction with any word meaning "endless time" or "eternity."
<DIV align=center>
<FONT face=Arial>

Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Hi bwmilliard, I guess I am what you would call a christian universalist. The only thing I can offer you is scripture as to why I believe as I do. I won`t give you a bunch of assumptions with no scripture. I won`t give you a bunch of man made or church doctrine with no scripture.When I talk to people who still believe the church on everlasting torment,I just show scripture that can not be refuted. So instead of them telling me what those scriptures really mean they just tell me I`m wrong and quote the I and my father are one scripture. When I give scriptural rebuttal they just say I`m wrong because they can`t refute God`s word. That is one thing I have learned, If you have the truth of God`s word then it can not be proven wrong. Isn`t that what we all want..the truth? But some refuse to even listen to God`s word. They just can`t let go of the church and mans doctrines because it is just so engrained in them. But I understand them because I was the same way for a long time. As I have stated many times,I once believed like the majority in the church. I grew up as an infant in the church. That was all I knew. Everyone around me believed the same thing. Church doctrines like eternal torment,the trinity, our free will overriding god`s sovereignty etc. etc. As I grew up those things didn`t sit right in my spirit. But I would look in the bible and see that word eternal,eternity and the church kept preaching that we have a free will to choose God and I kept thinking about the billions who had lived and never heard of Jesus. I thought about young kids who died extremely young and never prayed a sinners prayer and thought...how could they spend an absolute eternity in a literal burning hell when they only lived on this earth for a few short years..maybe 12,13,14 years. That cannot be right! I tried to accept it all on faith that God was just... because that`s what the church always said. They couldn`t explain it either because it makes no sense for a God of love to do this. But because the church has her doctrine, her only response can be..well,just accept it on faith. But I kept praying about it. God please show me your truth. If it is what most of the church is teaching then give me peace in my spirit about it. If it is not then show me, I want your truth. Give me an open mind to accept whatever your word and truth is and not be blinded by satan or any false teaching. I kept searching and finally the revelation for me was when I learned that the word eternity in our english translated bible was indeed not eternal at all but the greek word aion. The word means age or of an age or period of time. It started becoming clear to me and it all fit with God`s nature and more spiritual truths I am learning everyday. I believe the bible when God said he is the savior of ALL men! Notice the following verse and the word all. Most people have no trouble identifying Adams All to mean everyone but in the very same exact verse and in the same sentence the same word all is used again for Jesus but they don`t want to acknowledge that is the same all that is used for Adam. They want to believe Adam is greater than Jesus! The all is in the same sentence,how can it not mean the same thing? Why do we not want to believe God`s word? Because we want to follow church beliefs and doctrines instead of our own eyes!
<BLOCKQUOTE>"For even as in Adam, ALL are dying, thus ALSO, in Christ, shall ALL [this "all" is the same "all" that are dying in Adam, hence: everyone] be vivified [imparting life beyond the reaches of death]... Yet each in his own class: the Firstfruit, Christ ... For He must be reigning until [but not longer] He should be placing all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy is being abolished: death... Then the Son Himself also shall be subjected to Him [God the Father] Who subjects all to Him, that God may be ALL in ALL" (I Cor.. 15:22-28) (Emphasis mine). WOW!

Next I will list some verses that correctly translate the word aion from the greek. I got this from another website,so I can`t take credit for researching it on my own.

The Greek word "aion" is here translated properly and consistently by two different translations. Notice carefully the categories these verses fall into: BEFORE, MAKES, PAST, PRESENT, END, NEXT, FUTURE, CONTRASTING, AND ENDS. It is not possible to use any one of these words in conjunction with any word meaning "endless time" or "eternity."
<DIV align=center>
<FONT face=Arial>
sorry i missed up onpasting this from another website. But here are the translations and mistranslations for the word aion.

<DIV align=center>
<FONT face=Arial>

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
sorry i missed up onpasting this from another website. But here are the translations and mistranslations for the word aion.

<DIV align=center>
<FONT face=Arial>
well, I`ll have to type them out for you because they won`t paste.

<DIV align=center>
<FONT face=Arial>

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM

sorry bwmilliard,
it won`t let me paste on here. but I have a list of mistranslations of the word eon and aion to the word eternity in most translations and one can see how it doesn`t make sense when the original greek for age is used. i would be happy to email it to you or send you a link..if you`re intersted.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Notes

INTRODUCTION TO
ALL of MANKIND will be SAVED, EVENTUALLY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

What does it mean that - “All of Mankind will be Saved, Eventually?”

It is that God will save all men. Some will be drawn into Him during this Gospel age, while others will be drawn to
Him in the next age, and the remainder of men in the ages to come, so that every knee will willingly bend and
every tongue will gladly confess that ‘Jesus Christ is Lord.’

Nowhere does this endorse that God will reward even one unrepentant sinners with endless bliss.

(a)-- The great majority of the human race that God had created, have never in this life heard of His
grace expressed in His Son and the good news of redemption. Therefore, what kind of a 'god' could love the sinner with Calvary’s love when Christ died, and then leave most of these sinner, in indescribable suffering eternally?

(b) Many plain direct statements in the sacred scriptures declared that the purpose of God is through our Lord Jesus Christ to bless all humanity and to bring the whole universe into harmony with Himself.

How could this be, if myriads of mankind whom He so loved, were to be kept alive 'for ever' in a hopeless, purposeless misery?

Moderator cut: snippet and link only please

An Introductory Study to UR - by Sam........

Although Universalist Christians many not agree on every point, the basic view is that all mankind will be restored to God through Jesus Christ. God bless.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-06-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM

33 posts, read 72,007 times
[quote=spm62;2430246]Why do we not want to believe God`s word? Because we want to follow church beliefs and doctrines instead of our own eyes!

When I became a christian one of the strongest desires God gave me was to test every spirit to the word of God, as stated in 1 John 4:1.

From your post it seems clear to me that you are looking for the truth of Gods Word not what man says but what God says. So I in the same way am seeking that same truth. One thing that I have found is Gods Word will not conterdict itself, so one must use the whole Word of God (not just parts) with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, to interpret what God is saying. I have learned that anyone can pick out verses from various places in the bible to make it fit what they believe, I believe we must use the whole word not just part. So you say whats my point? As a christian its my responcabilty to test every spirit, that does not mean to riducule or degrade in any way but to be sincere and un bios to what I may have believed before hand, and be willing to find the truth, so that God be glorified, and no one else.

With all that being said may we look at each phase starting with all will be saved.

I have always believed that if a person does not believe and except the gift of salvation that person is considered a lost child and an enemy of God, therefore if they never change their mind they would go to hell, forever.
I would like to see scripture prove that all people are saved and no one goes to hell. At the same time I will search for scripture that support this issue.

Thank you for your help in understanding I hope that we are both in this to find the Truth and not what man thinks but what the Bible teachs.
In Christ. God Bless.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Notes

INTRODUCTION TO
ALL of MANKIND will be SAVED, EVENTUALLY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

What does it mean that - “All of Mankind will be Saved, Eventually?”

It is that God will save all men. Some will be drawn into Him during this Gospel age, while others will be drawn to
Him in the next age, and the remainder of men in the ages to come, so that every knee will willingly bend and
every tongue will gladly confess that ‘Jesus Christ is Lord.’

Nowhere does this endorse that God will reward even one unrepentant sinners with endless bliss.

(a)-- The great majority of the human race that God had created, have never in this life heard of His
grace expressed in His Son and the good news of redemption. Therefore, what kind of a 'god' could love the sinner with Calvary’s love when Christ died, and then leave most of these sinner, in indescribable suffering eternally?

(b) Many plain direct statements in the sacred scriptures declared that the purpose of God is through our Lord Jesus Christ to bless all humanity and to bring the whole universe into harmony with Himself.

How could this be, if myriads of mankind whom He so loved, were to be kept alive 'for ever' in a hopeless, purposeless misery?

An Introductory Study to UR - by Sam........

Although Universalist Christians many not agree on every point, the basic view is that all mankind will be restored to God through Jesus Christ. God bless.
Thanks shana..awesome points!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-06-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity