Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:06 PM

63,890 posts, read 40,164,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm going to provide you with EVIDENCE that gay people are BORN that way--like you were born black. Now, because you are a fundamentalist through and through you will not accept the evidence. That in itself is characteristic of religious fundamentalists. It would make their idol, the Bible (or Quran or Torah) appear incorrect or the holy God as the creator of what HE, Himself deems evil--that is the problem with not understanding the Word as infallible in terms of faith and practice but quite fallible in terms of science, psychology, sociology, and culture.
From an article in 2008:
Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex - life - 16 June 2008 - New Scientist
From a 2012 article:
Homosexuality & Choice: Are Gay People 'Born This Way?'
From a 2013 article:
Studies Show Differences Between Heterosexual and Homosexual Brains! | UberFacts
Now you will KNOW that YOU have a religiously prejudiced brain when you reject scientific study for the guesses of men 2800 years ago. So how is being born with a different brain makeup any different than being born with a certain skin pigmentation?
The only contrary source to any of this is from a discredited psychologist by the name of Paul Cameron who is himself a fundamentalist. He was dropped from the American Psychological Association because he held himself out to be a sociologist as well as a psychologist, and was kicked out of the Nebraska Psychological Society for basically lying and misrepresenting the views of that distinguished group.
His lies go back to 1984 and are STILL being repeated by fundamentalists despite all sorts of contrary evidence and witness. And therein is the basic problem of fundamentalists. As proclaimed by 460 fundamentalist Christian leaders on July 4, 1986--
The Bible is the only absolute, objective, final test...for all philosophies, books, values, actions, and plans-----" and
"The Bible States Reality for all Areas of Life and Thought...in the spheres of law, government, economics, business, education, arts and communication, medicine, psychology and science."
"All theories and practices of these spheres of life are only true, right, and realistic to the degree that they agree with the Bible."
And that is what makes "Bible believers" as defined by fundamentalists so dangerous to freedom loving people everywhere. If one substituted the Quran for the Bible in the above statements from the Manifesto for the Christian Church, they would still perfectly apply.
In 2005, Dr. Fritz Stern, a refugee from Hitler's Germany and a leading scholar in European history explained his passion for history to reporter Christ Hedges in a New York Times article. Dr. Stern wanted to grasp how democracies should heed the seductiveness of authoritarian movements. At an award ceremony honoring Dr. Stern, a professor emeritus at Columbia University, he compared the mood in Germany that welcomed Hitler into power with the current mood in America.
"Public Lives: Warning from a Student of Democracy's Collapse," by Christ Hedges, New York Times, January 6, 2005, Metropolitan Desk, Late Edition---Final, section B, p.2.
Don't think for a moment you are not a part of the same thing. Wake up before it is too late. God still loves you.
But guess what, whether you wake up or not, those of us who know the Jesus of the Bible will not allow you to define the term "Bible believer." If you really believed that Bible, you would practice it like Jesus did. I value my religious freedom and YOURS AS WELL. Therefore I will resist all efforts to make this a "Christian nation."
President Washington began negotiating the Treaty of Peace and Friendship with the Muslim nation of Tripoli that was signed on November 4, 1796 and placed into law by President John Adams in 1797. Article 11 of that treaty gives some succinct early evidence that this nation is not and never has been a Christian nation.
The Avalon Project at Yale Law School, "The Barbary Treaties: Treaty of Peace and Friendship Signed at Tripoli," November 4, 1796
Excellent witness and sources, Warden. No follower of Jesus Christ should EVER be in favor of forcing anyone to follow what they believe God wants through secular laws and punishments, period. Forced behavior has ZERO value to God. Our purpose is NOT to force anyone to do anything except ourselves. Christians control themselves and just love others as Jesus did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
I stand with reason and the honest that will help whenever they can. Some in our ranks are theist and some atheist, but we all understand service before self.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent witness and sources, Warden. No follower of Jesus Christ should EVER be in favor of forcing anyone to follow what they believe God wants through secular laws and punishments, period. Forced behavior has ZERO value to God. Our purpose is NOT to force anyone to do anything except ourselves. Christians control themselves and just love others as Jesus did.
err, figured this out when we did 6th grade bio. we are made of cells she said, I answered we do as the cells allow, she tossed me out and sister james tomas brought the wood down.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:16 PM

45,641 posts, read 27,250,610 times
Quote:
I'm going to provide you with EVIDENCE that gay people are BORN that way--like you were born black. Now, because you are a fundamentalist through and through you will not accept the evidence. That in itself is characteristic of religious fundamentalists. It would make their idol, the Bible (or Quran or Torah) appear incorrect or the holy God as the creator of what HE, Himself deems evil--that is the problem with not understanding the Word as infallible in terms of faith and practice but quite fallible in terms of science, psychology, sociology, and culture.

Are you really still trying to equate homosexual behavior with being black?

Is homosexuality even sin to you?

I never disputed people born with a predisposition to homosexuality - all people have a predisposition to all types of sin at birth. You need to read my posts properly instead of having your own agenda.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I never disputed people born with a predisposition to homosexuality - all people have a predisposition to all types of sin at birth. You need to read my posts properly instead of having your own agenda.
I don't think Warden is equating being homosexual to being black. He is equating being discriminated against for being homosexual with being discriminated against for being black. The issue is the unjustified discrimination. What you or anyone else thinks your God considers a sin is irrelevant. It can NOT be the basis for unjust discrimination in our Constitutional Republic, period.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:39 PM

45,641 posts, read 27,250,610 times
Quote:
I don't think Warden is equating being homosexual to being black. He is equating being discriminated against for being homosexual with being discriminated against for being black. The issue is the unjustified discrimination. What you or anyone else thinks your God considers a sin is irrelevant. It can NOT be the basis for unjust discrimination in our Constitutional Republic, period.
I answered that already on the last page. It's not the same.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:40 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times
Quote:

When did you CHOOSE to be heterosexual? I mean, like was there a time in your life when you said, "Ya know, I don't want all the grief and heartache and verbal abuse, the sometimes being the victim of beatings or murder that comes with being a homosexual, so I'm going to be a heterosexual!???"

No gay person CHOSE to be gay. In fact quite a few have tried to "ungay" themselves through all the false 'reparative' therapy fundamentalists say will work. Except it hasn't. The guy who INVENTED the whole reparative therapy concept has apologized to homosexuals for trying to "convert" them.

Quote:
I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy. I also apologize to any gay person who wasted time and energy undergoing some form of reparative therapy because they believed that I had proven that reparative therapy works with some “highly motivated” individuals.
Robert Spitzer. M.D.
Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry,
Columbia University
EXCLUSIVE: Dr. Robert Spitzer Apologizes to Gay Community for Infamous ‘Ex-Gay’ Study | Truth Wins Out

Gay people are gay BECAUSE GOD MADE THEM THAT WAY. It's only fundamentalists who are the way they are because THEY have chosen a lesser path. At the very best a fundamentalist is the most immature kind of Christian, because almost without exception they concentrate on the "big three" of fundamentalism:
1. The bible is inerrant and infallible about everything. (Jesus Himself whispered the words in the authors' ears).
2. Abortion is evil in every sense (but only doctors, not the mothers taking their unborn children to a clinic, should go to jail).
3. Homosexuals are all hateful, want "special" privileges (like getting served in a bakery or even a restaurant [kinda like black people wanted in the fifties and sixties], and not getting fired simply because God made them with a different sexual orientation.

What fundamentalists who have CHOSEN to make themselves superior to others rarely do with the Bible is read the heart of the law. They understand the "letter" of the law.

The activist Jesus is largely ignored by fundamentalist Christianity. Mel Gibson's movie Passion of the Christ features his bloody death while his fiery speeches about justice and mercy ended up on the cutting room floor. Not one scene was left to explain why the religious and political leaders conspired to silence Him. Jesus was sentenced to death because He condemned their misuse of wealth, confronted their abuse of power, and called them to do justice, love mercy, and seek truth. His values conflicted with their values and it cost Him his life.

Today fundamentalist Christians have turned His death into a simple formula for "getting saved." And doing justice and loving mercy have been boiled down to leading a neighbor in "the sinner's prayer" or distributing pamphlets (tracts) with pictures illustrating hellfires and escape routes. Fundamentalists have left the Good News and have set our nation awash with what Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German preacher and theologian who stood against Hitler in Germany, called "cheap grace." Cheap grace is self-congratulatory. Cheap grace looks for those "worthy" of being saved. Cheap grace turns its back on the very people Jesus rubbed shoulders with every single day.

The "Christian" leaders of the fundamentalist U.S. are drowning in wealth while demeaning "lesser" homosexual people, and they, in some cases use the same wording as both white supremacists used against your own race and as Hitler used against Jews. Why can't preaching Good News to the poor include taking a stand against the billions spent on the military to use at least part of those funds to provide food, clothing, housing, and medicines for those in need?

The difference between you as a black and MLK Jr. is that MLK Jr. had a dream for ALL people, not just Christians or Jews, not just whites or blacks, but everyone. The minute you fall into the muddy trap of demeaning some people in order to lift yourself up (because that is what you do) you are NO DIFFERENT than those white police officers who charged Karen Harrick with obstructing traffic during a demonstration against discrimination in 1969 because "she was lying on the sidewalk while she was being clubbed by police." ---And no, it WASN'T because she was black, it was because she was a lesbian. (Donn Teal, The Gay Militants: How Gay Liberation Began in America, 1969-1971 [New York: St. Martin's Press, 1971] p.55

Like the white Mississippi state police officer told my high school class in Biloxi, Mississippi in 1963-- "We came upon a little old lady who had been driving her Cadillac down a country road and hit two Nigras walking on the side of the road. When we arrived at the scene, one man was lying partially through her windshield and the other was twenty yards down the road in a ditch. She was crying. We tried to console her and told her we would get the one who was partially in her car for breaking and entering and the one down the road in the ditch for leaving the scene of an accident." (He told that as a "joke" to a high school auditorium of 1500 white students).

That's the same kind of perversion that fundamentalists of any color perpetuate on homosexuals. Whether you see yourself as the same as that police officer, I can assure you that Jesus Christ does. Dr. King defined Jesus' call to love as agape love, "Understanding, redeeming good will for all men [and women], a willingness to go to any length to restore community. (Martin Luther King, Jr. "An Experiment in Love, in A Testament of Hope, pp.16-17)

King also wrote "We have inherited...a great "World House, in which we have to live together....a family unduly separated in ideas, culture and interest, who, because we can never again live apart, must learn somehow to live with each other in peace." (James Melvin Washington, ed., Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr [San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1986], p.16)

I was in Dallas, Texas in the early nineties when a rash of murders of gay men took place. In 1993 Nicholas Ray West was murdered in Tyler, Texas. He was a 23 year old Southern Baptist singer who was kidnapped, tortured, and executed in a gravel pit because he was gay (thirty years earlier it might have been because someone was black).

In January 1994 the body of another gay Texan, Michael Benishek was found in San Antonio. The coroner wasn't able to tell if Michael had been killed by the sever blow to his head with a blunt instrument or if he had bled out from the knife slash across his throat.

In February, 1994, Tommy Musick, a 48 year old gay hairstylist in Midland, Texas was shot four times in the back of the head. The jury found 18 year old Ramsey Harrell guilty of murder but sentenced him to just twelve years in prison. According to local pastor Billy Cawley, "The jury allowed Harrell to have the lesser charge because of their prejudice against gay people. Tommy Musick got no justice. This sends a clear message that if you kill a gay person in West Texas, you will not be punished."

In April 1994 a 16 year old San Antonio youth took a rifle out of his truck and shot and killed another gay man, 26 year old John A. Burwell. The teenage killer dragged Burwell's body to his pickup, drove to a nearby creek and dumped the corpse off a bridge forty feet above the water to lay on rocks until found.

In June 1994 Paul Quintanilla, a young gay man, was found murdered in a field near Dallas. He had been stabbed a dozen times and his throat and genitals had been slashed.

Near the end of that year the New York Times reported that 60 percent of the murders involving gay or lesbian victims were called "overkill" because they involved four or more gunshot or stab wounds, repeated use of blunt objects, or the use of more than one killing method. "The bias related slayings of gays and lesbians,' said the Times, are often gratuitously violent and many go unsolved."

The language I hear used by fundamentalists about gays and lesbians is the SAME language I heard them use about your race. The violence I've read about being used on them over the last twenty-five years is the same violence I read about being used on blacks in Mississippi and Alabama when I was a teenager. I even heard some of the same language from some of my own family members.

I stood against them, and I'll stand against you. I loved them and I'll love you, but I will never yield to the ugliness of spirit I saw then and I see now coming from the mouths of fundamentalists. Religious fundamentalist are cursed with the urge to purge--someone, somewhere, always.

God proved through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection that God loves outcasts best. When you stand with the outcasts, you stand with Jesus, and when you despise the outcast, you despise Jesus as well.
Knowing the Bible by heart isn't nearly as important as knowing the heart in the Bible.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I answered that already on the last page. It's not the same.
Of course it is the same. It is unjust discrimination, period. There is no legitimate reason to discriminate against homosexuals. What do you think is a legitimate reason to do so???

Old 02-21-2015, 11:54 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Warden,

The fundamentalist Lutheran church I grew up in never advocated the murder of gays. Yes, I was taught that homosexuality was sinful behavior. But I was never taught to hate gays. In fact, I was taught that hate was equivalent to murder, as Jesus taught. I was also taught that looking at a woman lustfully was equivalent to adultery (as Jesus taught), so I came to understand that I was no better (when it came to sexual sins) than the gays.

Are there fundamentalist churches that actually teach that gays should be harmed?

Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 AM

34 posts, read 27,342 times
Quote:

At the very best a fundamentalist is the most immature kind of Christian, because almost without exception they concentrate on the "big three" of fundamentalism:
1. The bible is inerrant and infallible about everything. (Jesus Himself whispered the words in the authors' ears).
2. Abortion is evil in every sense (but only doctors, not the mothers taking their unborn children to a clinic, should go to jail).
3. Homosexuals are all hateful, want "special" privileges (like getting served in a bakery or even a restaurant [kinda like black people wanted in the fifties and sixties], and not getting fired simply because God made them with a different sexual orientation.
Would you consider every pro-life Christian to be an "evil fundamentalist"? (My church does not teach it is sinful if the mother's life is in danger.) We pray on this subject. Together we also provide support to young unwed mothers and their children. Are we evil in your mind for sharing the gospel while also helping with their physical needs? We are supposed to remain publicly silent on abortion? You would prefer no free speech on this subject?

Quote:

What fundamentalists who have CHOSEN to make themselves superior to others rarely do with the Bible is read the heart of the law. They understand the "letter" of the law.
It doesn't seem like it when we daily confess our sins in prayer & ask for forgiveness. One popular hymn we sing is "Chief of Sinners though I Be".

Quote:

Today fundamentalist Christians have turned His death into a simple formula for "getting saved."
Somewhat true.

Quote:

And doing justice and loving mercy have been boiled down to leading a neighbor in "the sinner's prayer" or distributing pamphlets (tracts) with pictures illustrating hellfires and escape routes.
False
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity