Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:01 AM

709 posts, read 378,386 times

Advertisements

24. And when the messengers of John were departed, he began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to behold? a reed shaken with the wind? 25. But what went ye out to see? a man clothed in soft raiment? Behold, they that are gorgeously apparelled, and live delicately, are in kings' courts. 26. But what went ye out to see? a prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and much more than a prophet. 27. This is he of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, Who shall prepare thy way before thee. 28. I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there is none greater than John: yet he that is but little in the kingdom of God is greater than he. (Luke 7:24-28)

So the lesson is that the christian's should be greater than John the baptist, but how many is even half than John the Baptist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
It's just a story someone wrote, so there is no need to analyze it too deeply. The first baptism (water) is represented by John. His "beheading" is probably symbolic too. The "fire" baptism (new birth) is represented by Christ.

It's about renewing your mind. Awakening from sleep.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
24. And when the messengers of John were departed, he began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to behold? a reed shaken with the wind? 25. But what went ye out to see? a man clothed in soft raiment? Behold, they that are gorgeously apparelled, and live delicately, are in kings' courts. 26. But what went ye out to see? a prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and much more than a prophet. 27. This is he of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, Who shall prepare thy way before thee. 28. I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there is none greater than John: yet he that is but little in the kingdom of God is greater than he. (Luke 7:24-28)

So the lesson is that the christian's should be greater than John the baptist, but how many is even half than John the Baptist?
All we need to be is "but little" to be greater. Half would be a substantial degree more than required and over-kill if we need to be but little, right?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:47 AM

John the baptist was a servant of God who was willing to give hes extra shirt to the one who just need it, but how many today's so called christian's are willing to do that, and even more?

Today's christianity is not real christianity.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:52 AM

45,618 posts, read 27,240,441 times
Anyone who has Christ in them through the Holy Spirit is better than John the Baptist.

In other words, Jesus Christ is better than John the Baptist.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:59 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,698,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Anyone who has Christ in them through the Holy Spirit is better than John the Baptist.

I agree with the highlighted sentence since I suspect that Jesus Christ was a invention of John the Baptist to aid in recruiting for his revolutionary stance against the Roman occupation.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Yes pretty much like that it is, but how many live according to the Spirit, doing act's of Christ, better that act's of John?

If we say that the Spirit is in us, but do not, do the works of the Spirit, we lie to our selves, and the truth is not in us.

There is no darkness in God, but if we walk in the darkness we do not really know God.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
John the baptist was a servant of God who was willing to give hes extra shirt to the one who just need it, but how many today's so called christian's are willing to do that, and even more?
Is charitable giving uncommon in Finland? I've witnessed many acts of charity by Christians and non-Christians alike.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,589,326 times
a. What did you go out into the wilderness to see? Jesus explains that John was a great man of God, one who did not live for his own comfort or the approval of others. John is a chosen prophet of God, not a man-pleaser.

b. For I say to you, among those born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: Yet, John was greater than all the prophets, mainly because he had the privilege of saying of the Messiah “here He is” instead of “He is coming.”

c. Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way before You: Jesus quotes the Malachi passage about the coming of John, because the prophets themselves were not prophesied, but John was, and this is one way that he is greater than all previous prophets.

d. But he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he: Yet, John the Baptist is less than the least in the kingdom of God, because John was not born again under the terms of the new covenant, on account that Jesus’ work on the cross had not yet been accomplished.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Is charitable giving uncommon in Finland? I've witnessed many acts of charity by Christians and non-Christians alike.
There is some charity in Finland, like in many countries there is, but you cant invoke of that kind of general charity, and like say that "my job is done now,"

What is your personal part of to the charity?

Many people's live in the joy's of the world spending them self, and give like a coin in the charity, and think that they are good people's, but like you say, that this kind of charity can do also the non christian groups, or even gentiles so what great is in that, if you give that coin from your wealthy life, if even the gentiles can do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity