Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM

18,533 posts, read 9,224,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
But, more importantly, strict Sola Scriptura is very new, no more than a 100 years. You cannot get a full university education with just books. You need to go to class and hear the professor give a class on the subject to receive things that can only be passed from one person to another. A doctor does not become a doctor by reading books. A doctor needs to be trained by other physicians and learn things that are not in the book. The Bible alone with nothing else is not enough.
Sola Scriptura can be traced back to the time of the reformation. But yes, some modern day Protestants seem to take it to the extreme: four bare walls and a sermon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,381,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Sola Scriptura can be traced back to the time of the reformation. But yes, some modern day Protestants seem to take it to the extreme: four bare walls and a sermon.
When Luther said Sola Scriptura he simply wanted to get rid of the corruption in the Church. Luther still believed many things not on the Bible.

So now you see it is possible to discuss religion if one accepts religion is just religion.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,765,007 times
Quote:
Some folks call it bibliolatry rather than Christianity.

Christianity existed long before people became bible literalists.
Agreed. I call it Bible worship.

I think it's important that we value the Bible, but we should also be more realistic about what it actually is: A library of writings recording God's dealings with various different people, not a compendium of all answers to everything. It's an invaluable tool, but the Bible by itself is not what defines Christians.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:47 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,381,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Agreed. I call it Bible worship.

I think it's important that we value the Bible, but we should also be more realistic about what it actually is: A library of writings recording God's dealings with various different people, not a compendium of all answers to everything. It's an invaluable tool, but the Bible by itself is not what defines Christians.
Exactly!

BTW, some Muslim extremists are also Quoran fanatics.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM

299 posts, read 265,081 times
Quote:
Sure, there are exceptions to the rule and some folks cross over from one religion to another. But, most religious folks are usually connected to whatever tradition they grew up with.
And BTW, there are MANY well versed highly intelligent Protestants that have converted to Catholicism.
But, more importantly, strict Sola Scriptura is very new, no more than a 100 years. You cannot get a full university education with just books. You need to go to class and hear the professor give a class on the subject to receive things that can only be passed from one person to another. A doctor does not become a doctor by reading books. A doctor needs to be trained by other physicians and learn things that are not in the book. The Bible alone with nothing else is not enough.
No one on this board has said "the Bible alone" as far as their relationship with God. The conservative Bible-believing viewpoint has been (for 2 thousand years) and still is "God speaks through His living Word--the Scriptures." Hebrews 4:12: the Bible is quick--this means "alive." I do not worship the Bible; I worship the Triune Godhead, Who inspired (breathed) His Word into the willing hearts of His faithful men, who penned God's Words as He directed them. This is not faith in a vacuum...it is a lovely, warm-hearted, living relationship with Father, Saviour and Holy Spirit guided entirely by what He says and how He says it.
I am not Protestant, nor Catholic. Andrew Dunn (who left Catholicism to follow Jesus Christ) did not become Protestant. He became a Bible-believing Christian. I am sorry that those like Peter Kreeft did not know the Lord Jesus Christ by His Word, and so found himself in Catholicism. But all is not lost! He, and every other Roman Catholic, as well as Protestant who is not born again (and there are many) still have time to forsake mysticism, man-made religious traditions and follow Jesus in spirit and truth--according to His Word.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:47 PM

20,464 posts, read 12,859,106 times
Well said, NT!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,169,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
paul? who foof is he?

no your wrong. I have no problem with what this guy supposedly taught. I teach my kids the same stuff. I have no problem with love, compassion and understanding. That's good stuff. I have no problem with "non-literal" religion either. I was not abused one so I am not anti-religion. whatever "boat" one needs in life is cool.

I have a problem with literalist. be them believers or non-believers. Especially ones that may very well be sock ones. You get me puppet boy?
Your ignorance is well noted here.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,169,472 times
To all those on here that have a problem with the bible. On judgement day, what will you think Jesus will judge by?

How well of a person you thought you were according to what you thought is good and bad or what the scriptures says when Jesus said if you love him you will obey his commandments?

Matthew 7:21-23(NKJV)
I Never Knew You
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Jesus said to follow his commands many times, his commands are written in the same exact book that many on here seem to have a issue with.

Matthew 22:35-40(NKJV)
35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

So Jesus himself said the entire bible is SUMMED up as Love God and Love another, so im pretty sure the bible that many keep thinking shouldnt be taken that serious is very relevant since the other commands all point to the main 2 that everyone loves to quote.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,973,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
All this time and you still don't get that God's Word and the Bible are not synonymous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is the difference?
To begin honestly looking into it, try this exercise. Take the first 14 verses of John and wherever you see "Word" substitute "Bible" and tell me what you can conclude.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM

20,464 posts, read 12,859,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
To begin honestly looking into it, try this exercise. Take the first 14 verses of John and wherever you see "Word" substitute "Bible" and tell me what you can conclude.
Dodge. It's very obvious John is talking about Jesus.

What's the difference between the living Word and the written Word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity