Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,377,012 times

Advertisements

Folks:

The temptation of Jesus is an allegorical tale to teach a point. And Jesus had to be fasting for 40 days to be vulnerable to temptation. The story is set up to teach a lesson on how to avoid the easy evil path even during our weakest moments. The verses are not supposed to be taken literally.

This is not different than the parables used to teach a point.

Last edited by Julian658; 02-21-2015 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 AM

20,456 posts, read 12,848,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Actually, it was the scribes and Pharisee's who confronted Christ.
See Matthew 4.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Indeed, and it was always scripture that did not conflict with the Spirit of love that "the Living Word" promised us for our guide. The authority is not the scripture, but the spirit that inspired the words written.
Do Jesus' words about the sheep and goats conflict with love? What about Matthew 24?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not saying that. But you seem to accept the traditional Christian view of Jesus and the Bible. Taking everything in it literally. Some would say that is following the Antichrist. The substitute for the real Christ.
No. I serve the Christ of whom the Bible speaks.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Folks:

The temptation of Jesus is an allegorical tale to teach a point. And Jesus had to be fasting for 40 days to be vulnerable to temptation. The story is set up to teach a lesson on how to avoid the easy evil path even during or weakest moments. The verses are not supposed to be taken literally.

This is not different than the parables used to teach a point.
What is the lesson to be learned?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,377,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is the lesson to be learned?
Do you have to ask?

It means we must remain GOOD at all times, even during times of suffering. We need to always take the high road and not rationalize the wrong path because of hunger or any other turmoil.

Christianity was different because it taught humility and a simple life. Other competing pagan religions offered greatness at all times.

Later on the early Christians would embrace an ascetic and monastic lifestyle where all worldly pleasures were rejected.

You guys spend too much time of the concept of worship, salvation, and Satan. IN the mean time the message of Jesus is lost.

The teaching point of the allegory is ignored by bible literalists who think this is just another fight between Satan and God.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,762,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
No one on this board has said "the Bible alone" as far as their relationship with God. The conservative Bible-believing viewpoint has been (for 2 thousand years) and still is "God speaks through His living Word--the Scriptures." Hebrews 4:12: the Bible is quick--this means "alive." I do not worship the Bible; I worship the Triune Godhead, Who inspired (breathed) His Word into the willing hearts of His faithful men, who penned God's Words as He directed them. This is not faith in a vacuum...it is a lovely, warm-hearted, living relationship with Father, Saviour and Holy Spirit guided entirely by what He says and how He says it.
I am not Protestant, nor Catholic. Andrew Dunn (who left Catholicism to follow Jesus Christ) did not become Protestant. He became a Bible-believing Christian. I am sorry that those like Peter Kreeft did not know the Lord Jesus Christ by His Word, and so found himself in Catholicism. But all is not lost! He, and every other Roman Catholic, as well as Protestant who is not born again (and there are many) still have time to forsake mysticism, man-made religious traditions and follow Jesus in spirit and truth--according to His Word.
NT, first off I want it to be abundantly clear that I place tremendous value in the Bible. But there are several things wrong with what you're saying here.

Where in the Bible does "Word of God" = Bible?? The Bible itself never limits "Word of God" only to written and canonized works.

Let's consider the context for the phrase "word of the LORD" in the following passages:
  • Genesis 15:4 "And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but he who comes from your own body shall be your heir." "
  • 2 Samuel 24:11 "When David was up in the morning, the word of the LORD came to the prophet God, David's seer, saying,"
  • 1 Kings 13:20 "And it came to pass, as they sat at the table, that the word of the LORD came to the prophet who had brought him back."
  • 1 Kings 12:22 "But the word of God came to Shemaiah, the man of God, saying,"
  • 1 Kings 21:28 "Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite:"
  • 1 Kings 17:2 "Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah:"
  • 1 Kings 17:8 "And the word of the LORD came to him, saying,"
  • 1 Kings 19:9 "Then he came to a cave and lodged there; and behold, the word of the LORD came and said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" "
  • 1 Chronicles 22:8 "But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 'You have shed blood abundantly, and have made great wars; you shall not build an house to my name because you have shed much blood upon the earth in my sight."
  • 1 Chronicles 17:3 "And it came to pass the same night, that the word of God came to Nathan, saying,"
  • Isaiah 38:4 "Then came the word of the LORD to Isaiah, saying,"
  • Jeremiah 1:4 "The word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Jeremiah 1:11 "Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Jeremiah, what do you see?" And I said, "I see a branch of the almond tree." "
  • Jeremiah 1:13 "And the word of the LORD came to me the second time, saying, "What do you see?" And I said, "I see a boiling pot, and the face of it is toward the north.""
  • Jeremiah 24:4 "Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Jeremiah 33:19 "And the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying,"
  • Jeremiah 33:23 "Moreover the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying,"
  • Jeremiah 34:12 "Therefore the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 3:16 "And it came to pass at the end of seven days, that the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 11:14 "Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 12:1 "And the word of the Lord came to me, saying:"
  • Ezekiel 14:12 "the word of the LORD came again to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 15:1 "And the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 17:11 "Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 20:45 "Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 28:11 "Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Ezekiel 31:1 "And it came to pass in the eleventh year, in the third month, in the first day of the month, that the word of the LORD came to me, saying,"
  • Haggai 1:1 "In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah"
  • Haggai 2:20 "And again the word of the LORD came to Haggai in the twenty-fourth day of the month, saying:"
  • Zechariah 1:7 "Upon the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, which is the month Sebat, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the LORD to Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet,"
  • Zechariah 4:8 "Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying:"
  • Zechariah 7:8 "Then the word of the LORD came to Zechariah, saying:"
  • Jonah 1:1 "Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,"
  • Luke 3:2 "Annas and Caiaphas were the high priests, the word of God came to John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness."
  • Colossians 1:25 "I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness-"\
  • Philippians 1:14 "and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear."

The typical Sola Scriptura Protestant always always always likes to make "word of the LORD" or "word of God" = The Bible. In all of the cases above (and dozens more I didn't bother listing) here is what is not happening: We are not seeing the paper and ink Bible (which didn't even exist yet) walking into the room and talking to the prophet or apostle in question. So what do Biblical writers mean when they say "word of the Lord" and "word of God"?? In every single case listed above, "word of the Lord" introduces new direct revelation from God. In fact, this is the context of virtually every reference to "word of the Lord." Calling Christ "The Word" makes sense in this context because he is the one delivering the revelation.

Is there any justifiable reason to read "word of the Lord" as anything but direct revelation from God? How did this incredibly persistent tradition of insisting that it references the Bible and only the Bible get started? Yes the Bible does contain God's word because it contains the revealed will of God to man in ancient times. It is immensely valuable for that reason. But the Bible clearly intends "word of the Lord" to mean immediate and direct revelation and only very rarely does it reference the word of the Lord that has already been written down.

A better way of reading the following would be to understand "word" as direct and immediate revelation from God. In truth, these passages make a lot more sense if read with "direct revelation" in mind:
  • Acts 6:7 "The word of God kept on spreading; and the number of the disciples continued to increase greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were becoming obedient to the faith."
  • Ephesians 6:17 "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:"
  • Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
  • Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
  • Colossians 4:3 praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned;
  • 1 Thessalonians For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith toward God has gone forth, so that we have no need to say anything.
  • 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.
  • 1 Timothy 4:5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.
  • Hebrews 13:7 Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
  • 1 Peter 1:23 for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.
  • 1 John 2:5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
  • 1 John 2:14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
  • Revelation 1:2 who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.
  • Revelation 1:9 I, John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.
  • Revelation 6:9 When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained;
  • Revelation 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
  • Revelation 20:4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

It doesn't hurt to focus on the revelations God revealed to ancient people. There is immense power in the Bible because it records direct revelation from God. But it is only truly valuable insofar as we utilize it in order to receive "the word of God" or direct revelation from God for ourselves. How can we really come to know God if we are not receiving direct communication/revelation from Him?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
Quote:
Do Jesus' words about the sheep and goats conflict with love? What about Matthew 24?
Do you think they do?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,915,364 times
Quote:
No. I serve the Christ of whom the Bible speaks.
In other words, you are a fundamentalist/literalist.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do you think they do?
No, because I understand God has more than one attribute.

Do you (think it conflicts with love)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity