Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,345,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In my natural state, yes -- I did.
What does "natural state" mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,399,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
we are first and foremost saved from the wrath of God.

My God already saved me and he is not violent or full of wrath.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,290,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Interestingly enough, that's what the Book of Mormon teaches, too:

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." (Mosiah 3:19)
The difference, of course, is that the above text seems to indicate that it's up to us to submit. The Bible says that God changes the heart, though. It's God that draws us to him. It's God that fully saves us. Maybe you don't see the difference...I think there is a distinction to look at there.

Philippians 1:29, "For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake."

2 Timothy 2:25, "with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth."

We are saved by grace through faith -- not by works.

On the other hand, the Book of Mormon says differently. 2 Nephi 25:23 states that it's faith, as long as you've done all you can:

"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

Quote:

It is a wonderful and glorious thing. But even that is not all we can hope for.

I've got one question for you, Vizio. You say that "we who do not seek God and hate God are saved by Him." That doesn't sound like what I've been listening to you say all these years you've been posting. I thought you believed that only those who love God will be saved by Him. Now you're saying that those who hate Him will also be saved? Or am I misunderstanding you?
By nature, we are born sinners. Everyone -- we are all at war with God. We are children of wrath. God does save some, and he regenerates us so that we can trust him.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What does "natural state" mean?
From birth. Before a person becomes a Christian.

1 Cor 2:14 states "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned."

In the context, Paul was talking about how some people in the Corinthian church were acting like pagans. They were not actually Christians, and were still non-Christians, acting like non-Christians do.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:04 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,998,604 times
"Saved from wrath" is specifically what Peggy is denying. The idea of a scapegoat is in every way abhorrent, but especially from the idea that responsibility for our shortcomings can be transferred to an innocent person, and the idea that God's punishment can be for the sole purpose of vengeance. There are other interpretations of how "atonement" works, and "propitiation" is a translation for a Greek term that may not have exactly the meaning you believe, even if we are to accept the perceptions of the person who used it.

I'd venture to say that "from good to better" is specifically a denial of the perception that man is basically bad, as opposed to having selfish impulses, sort of like those who "do by nature the things of the law" that Paul mentioned.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:06 PM

20,500 posts, read 12,901,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

My God already saved me and he is not violent or full of wrath.
You're taking it to the extreme, to serve your purpose. Nevertheless, Scripture is clear we are saved from God's wrath. How do you deal with Romans 5:9?

Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM

20,500 posts, read 12,901,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
snip...

I'd venture to say that "from good to better" is specifically a denial of the perception that man is basically bad, as opposed to having selfish impulses, sort of like those who "do by nature the things of the law" that Paul mentioned.
Do you agree with Peggy? Do we go from good to better?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Saved from wrath" is specifically what Peggy is denying. The idea of a scapegoat is in every way abhorrent, but especially from the idea that responsibility for our shortcomings can be transferred to an innocent person, and the idea that God's punishment can be for the sole purpose of vengeance. There are other interpretations of how "atonement" works, and "propitiation" is a translation for a Greek term that may not have exactly the meaning you believe, even if we are to accept the perceptions of the person who used it.

I would suggest you ought to sit down and read the first 10 chapters of Romans -- if not the whole book. Chapters 1-5 hammer on this topic hard.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,349,480 times
From "good to better" sounds like spiritual evolution and I can certainly get on board with that.

But I'm of the opinion the whole salvation angle is Christianity's biggest con.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,998,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Do you agree with Peggy? Do we go from good to better?
Well, SOME of us do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity