Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM

28,150 posts, read 30,097,469 times

Advertisements

Thinking-man's thread on the gang rape of a 70-year-old Catholic nun in India got me thinking. (As a matter of fact, I suspect I've given this more thought than "Thinking-man ever has.)

Here are a sampling of a few of the things he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I guess, the question is why didn't god protect her....
Quote:
hmm.....So tell me again why god (with all his/her/its infinite power) didn't just prevent the nun getting raped.....
Quote:
Yeah, of course those who raped her are to blame....but you know...if i'm all powerful and all knowing and i could stop them from raping this 70 old virgin who had devoted her whole life to me, i'd step in and prevent those people from raping her.....
Quote:
So....if you had the power to help a suffering 70 year old nun who was about to be repeatedly raped and abused, you would do nothing?
Quote:
^ so, when a 70 year old nun is about to be raped, YOU would do more to help the poor nun, than your "all loving" god would? Well, that says a lot about your "god"!
Quote:
Because he can do something about it but he won't! (according to you guys, he's all powerful & all knowing...right?)
Quote:
the question is how many more nuns is your god going to WATCH get raped, as he/she/it does nothing!?
Quote:
Sure....but i think it's just as likely for her to think "WTF "god"....why weren't you there for me when i needed you the most? oh, maybe you're not there! i'm OUT!"
Quote:
....if her "god" had only protected her like a "loving", "Caring", "all powerful", "all knowing" "god" should have done, this poor 70 year old nun wouldn't have to suffer as you suggested.
I'll say one thing for this guy. He's persistent. He doesn't give up. A dozen different responders answer his question and all he can do is continue to ask it over and over and over and over again. So anyway, now I have a question for Thinking-man and anybody else who believes as he does.

How exactly is this God you don't believe exists supposed to handle the situation? He sees a gang of men approaching a 70-year-old nun and, obviously knowing their intentions, does one of the following things. Which of them makes the most sense to you?

1. He strikes them dead before then can do anything to hurt her.
2. He strikes them dead after they've committed their horrible crime.
3. He miraculously causes the nun to disappear.
4. He gives the nun supernatural powers so that she can fight them all off.
5. He allows the act to take place, but gives the nun amnesia so that she doesn't remember it at all.
6. He drops three or four police officers down from out of nowhere just before they act.
7. He momentarily touches their consciences and they decide to find another victim instead.
8. He does nothing to intervene but will hold these men accountable at Judgment Day.

(P.S. I was going to post a poll, but had problems doing so, so this will have to suffice.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-16-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,340,570 times
yes, think our friend is the very quintessence and definition of "persistent" for sure, LOL.

interestingly questions and it will be fun to see what his answer(s) might be. FWIW, my take is that ANY of those scenarios MIGHT happen according to God's will and plan at a particular time (the bible seems to have a fair number of similar situations where the "good guys" were saved from apparently impossible straits--from the red sea parting to let the children of Israel escape from Egypt to the three young men surviving the fiery furnace, and yes, even Jesus rising from the dead---they are often called "miracles") BUT think most probably some variant of 7 or 8 is most likely.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-16-2015 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,762,572 times
I will say what I said in the other thread: In order for God to be fair, he must always intervene anytime anyone does or even thinks of doing something bad. That means we must be placed in a perpetual state of mind-control by God. If it is God's job to stop people from doing bad things, then this is the only logical conclusion.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I will say what I said in the other thread: In order for God to be fair, he must always intervene anytime anyone does or even thinks of doing something bad.
Not only that, if God stops the person before he does something wrong (particularly, if He stops him by striking him dead or some such thing), then what are you going to do about the outcries against "your god who kills innocent people." A rapist isn't guilty of rape in the eyes of society unless he actually commits the act, so God would have killed him for nothing. Once again, it ends up being all God's fault.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:57 PM

I guess the question's too hard for Thinking-man.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,450,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How exactly is this God you don't believe exists supposed to handle the situation? He sees a gang of men approaching a 70-year-old nun and, obviously knowing their intentions, does one of the following things. Which of them makes the most sense to you?

1. He strikes them dead before then can do anything to hurt her.
2. He strikes them dead after they've committed their horrible crime.
3. He miraculously causes the nun to disappear.
4. He gives the nun supernatural powers so that she can fight them all off.
5. He allows the act to take place, but gives the nun amnesia so that she doesn't remember it at all.
6. He drops three or four police officers down from out of nowhere just before they act.
7. He momentarily touches their consciences and they decide to find another victim instead.
8. He does nothing to intervene but will hold these men accountable at Judgment Day.

(P.S. I was going to post a poll, but had problems doing so, so this will have to suffice.)
Is this based on the God of the Old Testament, or the New Testament?
Because the perceptions of men change, over the course of time.

Last edited by Jerwade; 03-16-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,746,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thinking-man's thread on the gang rape of a 70-year-old Catholic nun in India got me thinking. (As a matter of fact, I suspect I've given this more thought than "Thinking-man ever has.)

Well, to be completely fair, God didn't protect his own Son either. I think God let us all know right there that His primary interest is in seeing how we will treat one another, not in stepping in on every event initiated by people.

We value this life in a much different fashion than I think God does. He is looking at eternity. As people we may think we're going to dwell with Him, but I don't see anyone rushing to look into Eternity with God.

There are those who question having faith in God precisely because of the existence of evil. NT scholar Dr. Bart Ehrman says he reached his agnostic stance for exactly that reason.

I do not believe any Christian is spared from evil entering their lives. God makes the sun to shine and the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. The difference for believers is that God is with us and, because of the suffering of His Son, we can be sure He understands suffering and suffers with us.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-17-2015 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM

2,169 posts, read 3,147,894 times
My take on stuff like this is as follows: If God always intervened on our behalf, life would a utopia, right? But how would we know? Without pain, how would we know what pleasure was? Without sadness, how would we know happiness? Without death, how would we know life?

So without anything bad in our life, how would we know about what is good? If there is no opposite for comparison than we can never know what we have.

God has a plan for everything. Trying to make sense of something that is not understandable is for those with no faith. You have to have faith in the unknown, unseen and things that we don't understand. Those without faith have to place a value or have an exact answer for their questions.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is this based on the God of the Old Testament, or the New Testament?
Because the perceptions of men change, over the course of time.
I'm not sure what you're asking. The choices I suggested aren't based on either the God of the Old or the New Testament, but just on what it seemed to me would be God's options for dealing with the problem of evil.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I do not believe any Christian is spared from evil entering their lives. God makes the sun to shine and the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. The difference for believers is that God is with us and, because of the suffering of His Son, we can be sure He understands suffering and suffers with us.
You really hit the nail on the head with this conclusion. Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity