Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM

17 posts, read 63,088 times

Advertisements

I thought that King David's ordeal with Bathsheba made him break all 10 Commandments! Is this correct or am I thinking of someone else?

Thanks all

jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsam View Post
I thought that King David's ordeal with Bathsheba made him break all 10 Commandments! Is this correct or am I thinking of someone else?

Thanks all

jb
I'd say yes, King David probably broke all 10 commandments.

But then, by Christ's standards, who of us hasn't?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
I don't think he broke them all with this act alone. He committed adultery and murder. He was guilty of coveting and in a way he was guilty of stealing (another man's wife). You could say that he was not honoring his father and mother because they most likely would not condone such behavior.

He didn't take the name of the Lord in vain, or fail to keep the Sabbath holy, or bow to any graven images, so it would appear that he didn't break them all at one time. However, he broke many of them and was still called by God as "a man after God's own heart".

Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsam View Post

Thanks all

jb

If your asking did he get all ten broken in the one act? I'd say no to commandments (1 & 4,) but he did get 5,6,7,8,9,10.(with a possible 2 & 3) He did get all ten at some point in his life ... yup he threw a strike!

and the beauty in all of this... from one of the most dysfunctional families/bloodlines in the land of Israel... came Jesus. Perfection from imperfection.

To know Him is to love Him!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM

17 posts, read 63,088 times
Nicley put Dave,

While reading the OT I don't think any other King broke all 10. I'll have to research this again. I thought there was some place that said he broke all 10. Dojilynn, I think Samuel 12:14 (Because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme.) Covers number 3. 1 and 2 I can't seem to find any occasions of these. hmmm Back to the Word I go!

Thanks all!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
I agree that David broke SOME of the 10 commandments. What astonishes me is that he could have a man killed (Uriah), so that he could take Bathsheba for a wife, yet STILL find favor in the eyes of God. Murder is such a horrible sin...most of us would have to spend many long years in jail if we did what David did. I guess what it means is we can find forgiveness as long as we are willing to repent and follow after God...

Bud

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,601 times
This shows God has his favourites and David could twist Him round his little finger. If David had been your normal Israelite in the street, he would have been put to death a few times over for what he did.

He committed adultery and murder. What is his punishment? He gets a good telling off and his newborn son has to die... so much for thinking God places great value on the life of a child.

Then....Then, this is the best....He commits the unforgivable heinous crime of ...wait for it....taking a census without Gods permission! 2 Sam 24. What is his punishment? He gets a choice!
  1. Seven years of famine,
  2. Three months of war, or
  3. Three days of pestilence
David couldnt decide. But he doesnt want anything bad to happen to him personally..
You can read all about it in 2 Samuel 21.
And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the LORD; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man. So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men. 2 Samuel 24:14-15

What a coward! But 70,000 people died for his TRIFLING sin...compared with his other sins! So, David gets away with it, and even leaves behind a good reputation, having written many of the Psalms which praise God and say how sorry he is.

The Scriptures say that all things written aforetime (in the Scriptures) were written for our benefit. So the moral of this story is...You can commit evil, murder and adultery, and repent and be forgiven. Someone has to be punished for your sin though, it may well be your child.

On the other hand, get involved in an illegal census, or commit a sin of pride as some have called it, and the consequences are unthinkable. 70,000 innocent people may have to die for you!!.... but you still have Gods favour at the end of it, because you can write some very nice songs (Psalms) about Him.

You could only find stories like this in the Bible and find people justifying them as just and noble.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 9,593 times
Default The Devil i a liar

Because of the sin of David, because of the sin of humanity, the first born son must be killed. All through the bible we hear of first born sons being killed for sin against God. God's first born son of a virgin was killed for the sin of the World. The Devil is a liar, death and destruction was Satan's diabolical plan from the beginning. How clever is Satan at citing scripture and twisting things just enough to confuse men and have them blindly walking down the wrong path: the path leading to destruction and death final. David was man man after God' s heart simply because when he fell down he did not stay down, he got back up in search of hie heavenly father. David's example is one for all mankind, Romans 3:23
New International Version (NIV)
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Praise be to God

Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM

461 posts, read 480,542 times
What David did for the Lord by proclaiming Gods words to the people was what made David the Lords son and servant. You people have been taught by man and not by God that is why you do not see that David was forgiven His sins, because He served the Lord.But God did punish him. Another thing is that the commandments are not what you think they are.

"The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him incurs guilt."

"Let your heart hold fast to my words, keep my commands so you will live".

"Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice before Him".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity