Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:05 PM

63,940 posts, read 40,210,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is nothing to protect the business owner from . . . except criminal acts. The privilege of running a PUBLIC business in America comes with rules based on secular laws. Your God's sins have no place in a business that serves the public. You cannot discriminate against anyone because you think they are sinners in the eyes of your God. It does not affect your personal life in any way and should not affect your relationship with your God. If you cannot serve everyone who has a legal right to your services because of your God . . . then you cannot be in business in America, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me throw this in there again, since you didn't address any of it:
Why are you so adamant on forcing them to do something they believe would violate Gods will? You keep telling others to MYOB, while you involve yourself in this issue, and you pick a side which (not surprisingly) is opposing the ones willing to honor their God. <snip>
Is that too much to ask for?
Why are you making yourself the law enforcer every time you think a Christian might have broken a law, while everyone else gets pass? It makes you look like someone who is always looking for an opportunity to accuse the children of Christ of something.
Honoring your God can have NOTHING to do with operating a business in America. What about that do you NOT understand, Finn. No one is forcing you to operate a business. But if you want the benefits of running a business in America you MUST follow the law, period. The business law in America does not CARE what your God thinks about anybody's sin. You WILL serve the public regardless of their sins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Finn, see if you can figure out the difference between MYOB when applied to something that really has no effect on the person involved or on society as a whole, and MYOB when applied to behavior that is harmful to another person.
Well said, nate. I wish I had said it.He seems to think MYOB applies to violating the law. It does not.
Quote:
No effect? If you force a person to violate the will of their God it certainly has an affect. Every time you force people to do things they are not comfortable doing, it has an effect. It is harmful to them. <snip>
Listen carefully, Finn . . . No one is forcing anyone to BE in business in America. But they ARE forcing those who ARE in business in America to abide by the business laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No one is forcing them to do what is right, they can go out of business. Consider the Amish, who forgo a LOT of things for the sake of their religion.
If you are going to conduct a business in the US be sure you can conduct it within the laws of the US or get out.
Excellent example, nate! I fear that Finn is tone deaf to these arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 PM

950 posts, read 926,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Is that your Big Gay Bible? I missed that particular tome.

not mine.

Must be yours.

You seem to follow that gay manual quite well as you demonize the Christian churches and toss the "bigot" label around.

Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen would be proud of you................( if they haven't died of AIDS )

Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,625,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
not mine.

Must be yours.

You seem to follow that gay manual quite well as you demonize the Christian churches and toss the "bigot" label around.

Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen would be proud of you................( if they haven't died of AIDS )
I do not have Big Gay Bible. You seem to have an intimate knowledge with this book. Almost like a bible.

I have read the Anarchists Handbook though. Does that count?

Your concern for their health is touching, and I hope your mentors are in good health. You should write the publisher, and tell them how reading this book has effected you. You could get a blurb on the cover.

When ever I toss anything, it always lands in the correct spot. I have excellent aim. It is always helpful to have such a large target.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:56 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Honoring your God can have NOTHING to do with operating a business in America. What about that do you NOT understand, Finn. No one is forcing you to operate a business. But if you want the benefits of running a business in America you MUST follow the law, period. The business law in America does not CARE what your God thinks about anybody's sin. You WILL serve the public regardless of their sins.
Well said, nate. I wish I had said it.He seems to think MYOB applies to violating the law. It does not.
Listen carefully, Finn . . . No one is forcing anyone to BE in business in America. But they ARE forcing those who ARE in business in America to abide by the business laws.
Excellent example, nate! I fear that Finn is tone deaf to these arguments.
The LORD was with the men of Judah so that they were able to take possession of the mountains. But they could not force out the people living in the valley who had chariots made of iron.

The iron will of the fully paid up member of the political christian fundamentalist community is impossible to break, and reflecting upon this today walking down to my local bar for lunch, i was questioning myself debating with those who are of that community, its as if you are sowing seed on the roadside.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,234,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

I have read the Anarchists Handbook though. Does that count?
Probably not. He's obviously a fan of books about the gay community. I'm guessing he has a well-thumbed copy. I had to Google the title to find out what it was about. (Basically...... it's about gays coming out of the closet and being accepted. Yawn. Very 1990's.) Though I must say it continues to impress how much the militant anti-gay faction knows so much about homosexuality.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-11-2015 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 09:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
not mine.

Must be yours.

Your spirit is dark and reeks of malignancy.

Most fundamentalists are merely ignorant and misguided, but a few, like you and a couple of others on this board, have an aura of malevolence.

Sociopaths I've dealt with projected similarly.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,475 times
Quote:
Why are you so adamant on forcing them to do something they believe would violate Gods will? You keep telling others to MYOB, while you involve yourself in this issue, and you pick a side which (not surprisingly) is opposing the ones willing to honor their God.
Here's how I look at it. Individual person's have Constitutional Rights. Businesses do not. The minute you hang a shingle and open your doors to the public, you sacrifice some rights and agree to follow certain rules. You, as an individual have the right to now allow a search of you home or property unless the authorities have a warrant. You can't demand the health inspector show you his warrant when he shows up to inspect your restaurant. You as an individual have the right to discriminate in any way you see fit, but once you have a business license, you agree to play by the rules.

Don't want to, don't open a business, go get a job instead. Of course even there you risk getting fired if you refuse to do something that's part of your job responsibilities. For example, a Muslim clerk at a Grocery Store can't refuse to ring up a customer that is buying bacon and beer.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:52 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
The answer to the OP is difficult to say the least. In the late 1980's i became consciously aware that i was a bible fundamentalist, i was shocked and disgusted with myself, but upon hearing a message on grace and faith i began to walk in new way and so began a marvellous transformation in my life.

How i became a bigot, i suppose it happened because i just accepted what was being taught by those who thought they had the understanding of the scriptures nailed. Yes i know it is sad, but my initial faith was in the fact that i was greatly loved of God, but then got educated before i knew it into the ways of the church of bible fundamentalism, and believe me once you have let go of reason and your senses, the ministers of bible fundamentalusm own you.

I would also like to say, that when i was freed from what i had become, i had no computer so that i could go to a forum such as this and hear a different perspective other than what i had without reservation opened my heart to. So i thsnk God for all the opposition to bible fundamentalusm, whether I agree with it or not on this forum.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:29 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Is bigotry the same as ignorance?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:06 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is bigotry the same as ignorance?
Good call.
I think it has its roots in ignorance.
People pointing finger."your God says we are sinners".
Pretty simple.
None without sin..
So who's the Bigot and were did they come from.
Well just look at the op.
First one to smell it dealt it..
Old wine New wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity