Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
First, I should say that by soul I mean that part of us/energy that never dies and goes on to live eternally after our physical body dies. I have been told that is our spirit, but for some reason I have always used the term soul.

You often hear people say (and I am one of those people) that when we die our soul goes home. Does that mean our souls have always existed and have already lived where we all go when we leave this Earth, or does is simply mean that is where we belong?

When do our souls get "created"? When we are in the womb, after we are born, or right before? I do think that our souls develop and grow and mature while we are here on Earth, but I wonder when they come into existence.

I don't think the Bible has much to say on this topic, unless I have missed it?
There really is no scriptural basis for the idea of a soul being pre-existent in Heaven. From what I have seen, it seems that the soul is created at birth, or in the womb. When exactly? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You've missed it.

Jewish thought talks about the Creation being in a sense shattered from the Unity it originally was.

Paramatman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a Hindu parallel. Paramatman is the Universe Soul, or God. So souls are fragments of God, those house within humans. Which explains the real reason atheists react violently to anything suggesting souls.

This is also suggested in the section about the Body of Christ.
Yes, I have always thought that souls are part of God, that we are all connected to God this way, so this makes sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There really is no scriptural basis for the idea of a soul being pre-existent in Heaven. From what I have seen, it seems that the soul is created at birth, or in the womb. When exactly? I don't know.
I guess this is one of those things we just have to wait to find out for sure, unless it will remain a mystery to us even after we die.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:15 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I know from several witnesses they say that aborted children are growing up in Heaven. That means they had already a soul (life) in the womb. Luke 1:41+44 testifies of it.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:38 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 830,890 times
Quote:
Yes, I have always thought that souls are part of God, that we are all connected to God this way, so this makes sense to me.

I guess this is one of those things we just have to wait to find out for sure, unless it will remain a mystery to us even after we die.
The soul is from God, spiritual, may even know more than our consciousness, it always longs to be connected with God, all humans try to find the lost paradise, many want to, but only few find it. God is Spirit and the connection comes through the Holy Spirit, which we have to receive, to be connected to God or have fellowship with God. But God can connect to anyone, believer or unbeliever. We have to be born again, to be connected to God again, because in Adam we are spiritual dead and in Christ we are spiritual alive again.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Yes, we always have been and always will be. There's never been any separation from God.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:00 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
First, I should say that by soul I mean that part of us/energy that never dies and goes on to live eternally after our physical body dies. I have been told that is our spirit, but for some reason I have always used the term soul.

You often hear people say (and I am one of those people) that when we die our soul goes home. Does that mean our souls have always existed and have already lived where we all go when we leave this Earth, or does is simply mean that is where we belong?

When do our souls get "created"? When we are in the womb, after we are born, or right before? I do think that our souls develop and grow and mature while we are here on Earth, but I wonder when they come into existence.

I don't think the Bible has much to say on this topic, unless I have missed it?

The Biblical view of the soul comes from the writers of the Bible. Orthodox Jews following the Mosaic traditions of oral and written law. I would look to their teachings as a starting point.

A short synopsis of the Jewish viewpoint:

The Soul is the "Breath of Life" given by God to humans and other living things. It is not an energy force or some infinte and eternal force. The soul or life force of a mortal body is in the blood. Thus, Jews refer to both humans and higher land dwelling animals (mammals) as "living souls". This is why the Mosaic Law forbids the eating of blood, and established dietary laws for Jews (not binding on Gentiles under the OT covenant).

The Soul is not the same thing as the spirit of God dwelling within a human.

The Soul of a person is not preexisting. Rather, God breathes the spirit of life into each human at some point shortly after conception. Humans are not eternal beings.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes, we always have been and always will be. There's never been any separation from God.
yes pc. It's like saying the moving electrons (amp) is separate from the nucleases around them. because they are both there the computers gets to "think".

Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
yes. I agree. But, Because I am less emotional I would say we are the universe having a human experience. But I think the universe maybe alive so people mis- interpreted that connection as "separate super god thing".

Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Is there evidence for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity