Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,890 times

Advertisements

To my fellow Christians..

It seems like especially lately this board has been full of unbelief, disrespect toward God and the Bible, and hatred for the way of truth. How is it affecting you? Is the devil managing to get you to feel "down"? I came across these verses the other day, and they strengthened me.
1 Cor 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
3:18 ¶ Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
I was thinking especially of the bolded parts. Christians may be reviled, thought of as foolish, yet this has always been, and will always be the world's reaction to a follower of Christ. Oh, that more would see and follow the light! Let's keep it shining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 PM

14,890 posts, read 17,179,835 times
Quote:

It seems like especially lately this board has been full of unbelief, disrespect toward God and the Bible, and hatred for the way of truth. How is it affecting you? Is the devil managing to get you to feel "down"? I came across these verses the other day, and they strengthened me.
1 Cor 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
3:18 ¶ Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
I was thinking especially of the bolded parts. Christians may be reviled, thought of as foolish, yet this has always been, and will always be the world's reaction to a follower of Christ. Oh, that more would see and follow the light! Let's keep it shining.
Cg81, this kind of reaction is to be expected. It comes with the territory. I don't let it get me down because I believe that even God has a purpose for all of it and He will be glorified in the end. I think about the hostility that Jesus endured and we are not greater than the Lord. Thanks for sharing the encouraging passage and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-16-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

Thank you cg81 for sharing this passage. It really spoke to my heart.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM

27,665 posts, read 16,156,388 times
All of Mr. Worldly wisemans clever arguments could not turn Christian out of the 'Way'

Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,497 times
You captured my recent feelings quite well. The battle for truth can be exhausting. Your post is a breath of fresh air in an oftentimes stagnant place.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,518 times
Quote:

I think the point of that passage wasn't just in reference to those who profess themselves to follow God, but to all of us on this world in general. Only God is wise, only God is discerning, and only God is all Loving/Righteous. It's important that we understand our own fallibilities before God - and at how much mercy he imparts on all of the people of earth - before we go chastising others for there lack of understanding regarding the scriptures.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
I think the point of that passage wasn't just in reference to those who profess themselves to follow God, but to all of us on this world in general. Only God is wise, only God is discerning, and only God is all Loving/Righteous. It's important that we understand our own fallibilities before God - and at how much mercy he imparts on all of the people of earth - before we go chastising others for there lack of understanding regarding the scriptures.
I agree with these points. The scriptures clearly say that the knowledge we have is from God, not of ourselves. The purpose of this thread wasn't to insult or put others down... rather, to bring out the thought that through God, not through studying, or gaining earthly knowledge, is true wisdom found. And this will always look foolish to the world.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,518 times
Quote:
I agree with these points. The scriptures clearly say that the knowledge we have is from God, not of ourselves. The purpose of this thread wasn't to insult or put others down... rather, to bring out the thought that through God, not through studying, or gaining earthly knowledge, is true wisdom found. And this will always look foolish to the world.
Okay. Well I wasn't really trying to be adverserial though. We need to take the speck out of our own eye, before we attempt to find the specks in others eyes. Many Christians do appear to be that way to the outside world, due to the way in which they act towards their bretheren and those on the outside. Remember the Pharisees? They were religious men, and they were highly esteemed - but guess what Christ called them? "Sons of the devil" So before we look on the outside and point to all of those things we believe are foolish, we need to make sure we understand that we ourselves are already "foolish" in the eyes of God.

If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise.

The Centurian on the outside of Jerusalem, had more Godly wisdom and faith in God than those that were in Jerusalem. First let's look at ourselves. When God has helped us clean our cups from the inside, we'll be more capable of helping others and bringing others to the faith who are on the outside.

Last edited by simpleton; 01-16-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Changed to God..it's not about us!! :)

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM

14,890 posts, read 17,179,835 times
Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking especially of the bolded parts. Christians

When I think about what Cg81 shared I think about what seems to be taking place as far as constant put downs and criticism of Christian faith, efforts to tear down which may get some believers down. I really haven't seen too much of believers tearing down the nonbelief of nonbelievers but more of a sharing of why we believe the way that we do when confronted with what seems to be attacks (imo) So we can realize that the wisdom that God gives is contrasted with wordly wisdom or with what might seem to be common sense or enlightenment from a wordly perspective if this is the situation. Believers should keep this in mind when confronted with attitudes that seem to present this, imo. This doesn't mean that believers should consider themselves to be better than others or be condescending or the like. We realize that what we may experience from those who may seek to tear down our faith is nothing compared to the treasure that we have in these earthen vessels and we realize that what God treasures or values is the most important thing. God bless.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Okay. Well I wasn't really trying to be adverserial though. We need to take the speck out of our own eye, before we attempt to find the specks in others eyes. Many Christians do appear to be that way to the outside world, due to the way in which they act towards their bretheren and those on the outside. Remember the Pharisees? They were religious men, and they were highly esteemed - but guess what Christ called them? "Sons of the devil" So before we look on the outside and point to all of those things we believe are foolish, we need to make sure we understand that we ourselves are already "foolish" in the eyes of God.

If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise.

The Centurian on the outside of Jerusalem, had more Godly wisdom and faith in God than those that were in Jerusalem. First let's look at ourselves. When God has helped us clean our cups from the inside, we'll be more capable of helping others and bringing others to the faith who are on the outside.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
When I think about what Cg81 shared I think about what seems to be taking place as far as constant put downs and criticism of Christian faith, efforts to tear down. I really haven't seen too much of believers tearing down the nonbelief of nonbelievers but more of a sharing of why we believe the way that we do when confronted with what seems to be attacks (imo) So we can realize that the wisdom that God gives is contrasted with wordly wisdom or with what might seem to be common sense or enlightenment from a wordly perspective if this is the situation. Believers should keep this in mind when confronted with attitudes that seem to present this, imo. This doesn't mean that believers should consider themselves to be better than others or be condescending or the like. We realize that what we may experience from those who may seek to tear down our faith is nothing compared to the treasure that we have in these earthen vessels and we realize that what God treasures or values is the most important thing. God bless.
Yes, this was what I was getting at. Good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity