Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
To my fellow Christians..

It seems like especially lately this board has been full of unbelief, disrespect toward God and the Bible, and hatred for the way of truth. How is it affecting you? Is the devil managing to get you to feel "down"? I came across these verses the other day, and they strengthened me.
1 Cor 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
3:18 ¶ Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
I was thinking especially of the bolded parts. Christians may be reviled, thought of as foolish, yet this has always been, and will always be the world's reaction to a follower of Christ. Oh, that more would see and follow the light! Let's keep it shining.

Thank you for this!!! I also was just thinking the same this morning. It truly gives the a heart the strength and encouragement to keep running the race and that it is for Him we endure such things. We don't know who the Lord will reach through all of it. If it is for one individual the Lord's work has been accomplished.
Lords Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
To my fellow Christians..

It seems like especially lately this board has been full of unbelief, disrespect toward God and the Bible, and hatred for the way of truth. How is it affecting you? Is the devil managing to get you to feel "down"? I came across these verses the other day, and they strengthened me.
1 Cor 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
3:18 ¶ Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
I was thinking especially of the bolded parts. Christians may be reviled, thought of as foolish, yet this has always been, and will always be the world's reaction to a follower of Christ. Oh, that more would see and follow the light! Let's keep it shining.

I think we Christian members of the forum ought to take comfort in the fact that the anti-christs pay us so much attention.
Means we're doing something right, otherwise they would'nt care.
Afterall, if the devil was prowling around a neighborhood, who do think would be the target? Certainly not the poor souls who were already lost.
Fear not, the body of Christ will prevail.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I think we Christian members of the forum ought to take comfort in the fact that the anti-christs pay us so much attention.
Means we're doing something right, otherwise they would'nt care.
Afterall, if the devil was prowling around a neighborhood, who do think would be the target? Certainly not the poor souls who were already lost.
Fear not, the body of Christ will prevail.
Great post and great thread!

These are some excellent points you raise oakback.

I'd also like to urge you all to pray diligently for each other. Being here for the amount of time most of us has is the equivalent of standing in front of a spiritual flame thrower. We need to encourage each other, hold each other up, and try and be a unified face to a lost world.

I realize we have differences of opinions on (arguably) peripheral issues, but the our faith rests on Jesus Christ-His life, death, burial and resurrection. That is the picture we should all be reflecting.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
I Cor 1:18-25

Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,799 times
this is the kind of thread that should replicate itself throughout the forums. one where people get together to talk about *similarities* and how they can augment their own faith. this is the kind of thread that helps to increase our feeling of Godly love for our brothers and sisters in the world.

i see nothing wrong with peaceful discussions, especially those that enlighten others about the various religions and philosophies of the world, but this is something special.

God bless, everyone.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I just hope I haven't said anything that came across as hateful or disrespectful of God or to HIS people in any way, shape, form or fashion. It certainly was not my intentions. However, I think I have posted some things I wished I didn't either because I was flat out wrong or I grew to a better understanding- having developed the wisdom of GOD in a particular area. We have one Book, the HOLY BIBLE that should govern or be the overriding authority we (Christians in particular) should defer to in all matters. I think people in general and especially Christians will always have differences in how we believe or what we believe, but we have the Bible to remedy... I think we should reason together and it is okay to voice our differences in love and with respect -always being aware we ourselves have not arrived, but are on our way and we are not perfect, but we are being perfected. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of Cg81, the original poster. Thank u

Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'd also like to urge you all to pray diligently for each other. Being here for the amount of time most of us has is the equivalent of standing in front of a spiritual flame thrower.
Good points, Alpha. We indeed do need to pray for each other. Also, for this reason I think we need to careful about how much time we spend on this forum because IMO it can sow seeds of unbelief into our lives if we aren't careful. It's subtle. (I know, I know, because I'm on here so much at work trying to alleviate boredom, I'm probably on here more than any of the rest of you-even the mods!)

That is one of the main reason I am going to try to not come to this site so much. That's difficult for me because I've gotten to "know" some of you and feel like you are friends. I just question whether coming so much is spiritually beneficial for me to do. And I think that's a question we all have to answer.

Hope I haven't gone too far offthread here

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Good points, Alpha. We indeed do need to pray for each other. Also, for this reason I think we need to careful about how much time we spend on this forum because IMO it can sow seeds of unbelief into our lives if we aren't careful. It's subtle. (I know, I know, because I'm on here so much at work trying to alleviate boredom, I'm probably on here more than any of the rest of you-even the mods!)

That is one of the main reason I am going to try to not come to this site so much. That's difficult for me because I've gotten to "know" some of you and feel like you are friends. I just question whether coming so much is spiritually beneficial for me to do. And I think that's a question we all have to answer.

Good points, Alpha and kaykay (and all the others.. thanks for posting!) I have also noticed the "subtle" attempts of satan's darts of unbelief.. not that it affects my walk, but he's busy. We need to pray for strength, and God's wisdom to discern our walk.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

Years ago I read a book by Scott Peck entitled "People of the Lie".
Peck was attempting to clinically analyze evil.
In one chapter entitled "High Octane" he was able to interview and obtain transcripts from excorcisms from a Church approved excorsist.
Well, I went out and bought the book that was referenced in that chapter, and let me tell you, I had to continually pray and return to God's word to get through it.
I quess I'm validating your response. Feed on His word, for strength.
God Bless

Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I just hope I haven't said anything that came across as hateful or disrespectful of God or to HIS people in any way, shape, form or fashion. It certainly was not my intentions. However, I think I have posted some things I wished I didn't either because I was flat out wrong or I grew to a better understanding- having developed the wisdom of GOD in a particular area. We have one Book, the HOLY BIBLE that should govern or be the overriding authority we (Christians in particular) should defer to in all matters. I think people in general and especially Christians will always have differences in how we believe or what we believe, but we have the Bible to remedy... I think we should reason together and it is okay to voice our differences in love and with respect -always being aware we ourselves have not arrived, but are on our way and we are not perfect, but we are being perfected. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of Cg81, the original poster. Thank u
Thank you for this post. It is so wonderful when all come together and humble ourselves to listen more and speak less. Moving onto the meat of things is what Paul would say to all if he were here among us. But the Holy Spirit used His servant cg81 to bring to us and remind us what the Lord Jesus warn all of us in this time of our world.
The believers differ in some things because I believe we are at different stages of our walk with Him. But there will always be an agreement at some point and time because of the Spirit in the ones heart.
I too have been humbled a few occasions to respect and honor the Lord more than I have. But I am thankful that He gives us conviction, forgiveness, healing, and a stronger, deeper maturity in His love once we humble ourselves to Him.
He is preparing all His children to come into His fullness for what waits ahead for us in heaven to be with Him and the Father.
Yes, the enemy will throw those arrows, but hell can not prevail against Gods kingdom. I agree we need to pray more for one another when we do see the enemy trying to defeat the will of God in the lives here on this forum.
Prayer and the word are our weapons. No weapon formed against the kingdom of God shall prosper.
Just like someone who said early, we must being doing something right! Yes, the right thing has been standing for righteousness regardless of what maybe said to us. This is also a mission field. I do believe that. I pray before I enter into this forum for what is ahead and for those who are already here through the night.
Satan doesn't want the Truth to be spread here at all...... But this is a place to be, because it reaches far into our world then any thing else could.
O, dear, hope I too haven't went off thread. Forgive me if I have.
Lords Blessings
I was so busy typing I didn't get to read others post. Yes, I have seen in my own life the seeds of unbelief trying to be sown. But I have to say, it is teaching me discernment against the things of untruth. To even confirm more of Jesus Christ in my heart, not that I doubted, but He is faithful to deliver us from the voices of false.
When I first started here I didn't realize how many lies that were out there. I have been pretty sheltered in my life as a believer. Just in three months have grow alot in this area of my life. So this has been a good instrument of the work of the Lord. And I have also grown more in Truth by listening to kaykay, Alpha, cg81, and many more.....that I didn't mention.
once again blessing to all of you!!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-17-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 11:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Good points, Alpha and kaykay (and all the others.. thanks for posting!) I have also noticed the "subtle" attempts of satan's darts of unbelief.. not that it affects my walk, but he's busy. We need to pray for strength, and God's wisdom to discern our walk.
I have fiound that this forum is for the mature believers who are confident and steady as a rock in their beliefs, and can express their beliefs without (too much) anger, but with kindness and love..Even though some are mature we still have to realize that there are more lessons and things to learn..mainly tolerance, and understanding for each others opinions..We need to learn that we are not all alike in our knowledge or in our relationship with God..We need to acknowledge that belief in Him is the main thing..Also I think we should be aware of the youngsters who also come in..Sometimes they are hard to spot, but eventually we can figure them out...So many of them are in the very same place we were in our "infancy" and we need to handle them with gentleness, lest we plant the wrong seed...Also we need to remember that there are many seekers here who never post but may be looking for answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity