Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM

45,707 posts, read 27,325,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be Jesus! OR didn't you read John correctly???See above and do the math. It IS the Spirit of God. Wrong. The ONLY authority is God and Jesus said so. Everything He knows is from the Father. He abides with us as the Comforter (sent in His name) to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." He will not lie. The Bible is merely USEFUL (profitable).
Oops... Should be John 17:17 on Jesus saying God's word is truth.

That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be Jesus! OR didn't you read John correctly???See above and do the math. It IS the Spirit of God. Wrong. The ONLY authority is God and Jesus said so. Everything He knows is from the Father. He abides with us as the Comforter (sent in His name) to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." He will not lie. The Bible is merely USEFUL (profitable).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Oops... Should be John 17:17 on Jesus saying God's word is truth.
That's all.
But Jesus IS the Living Word of God. Did you forget John 1:14???

Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Yet another in a seemingly-endless series of threads in which Christians illustrate the Tower of Babel story.

I picture the participants as Muppets.

Trust me, it helps.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 AM

35,772 posts, read 21,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
All fall short of the glory of God. But evangelical Christians in america fall really short of the glory of God.

How can anyone who has been married 4 times tell anyone anything about biblical marriage. Because we are forgiven
How can someone with a dui or a felony assault talk to anyone else about why they should not drink and should be passive. because we are NOT God and need Him to make it
how can anyone preach about sexual immorality when they had children out of wedlock or had children who had children out of wedlock. because WE ALL make mistakes some we don't even know why
How can someone suing their neighbor and dosen't know their neighbor preach to others to love thier neighbor. Bible speaks of not suing our own- but sometimes this is justice and saves another
How can someone preaching about the evils of islam and other religions off the pulpit preach to others about loving thier enemy? We must love PEOPLE- not their faith -- but it is a fine line-
How can someone who hates hispanics pander to them and take thier money? many think they do right- but who will show them what LOVE means?

There at least more examples of things I have seen christians do that are hypocritical and are contrary to the teachings of christ, but I'm sure the server has a memory limit.
what I see is finger pointing - making judgements, not understanding the weakness of the next person, Jesus LOVES these very people you post about, but what are you doing to help correct?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 AM

35,772 posts, read 21,143,565 times
I see many here can't even love the next poster wow. If I were an unbeliever searching for God and trying to learn more -- YIKES! who would want to be a part of these folks arguing points ?!!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 AM

18,515 posts, read 9,198,093 times
This thread reminds me of the following joke: "there's only one true religion, and it's MINE!"

Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I see many here can't even love the next poster wow. If I were an unbeliever searching for God and trying to learn more -- YIKES! who would want to be a part of these folks arguing points ?!!
That is why some are here. To turn others away.

All such forums attract those who wish to disrupt any reasonable discussion.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:55 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,611,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm glad you have no worries far as religion goes. It helps a person to sleep at night.

I have no worries about salvation, blood atonement, Jesus Christ and all the rest and I sleep just fine too (outside of this nasty cold I picked up in the Baltic) because I have been absent doing an in-depth study of the historicity of Jesus Christ and have come to the realization (as have hundreds of historians before me) that the Jesus of the gospels simply did not exist, or at most was just an ordinary apocalyptic rabbi wandering around Israel preaching end of the world like hundreds of others and got himself crucified by the Roman leaders for sedition and died. That's all, just died----and was thrown into a grave somewhere to rot. The fact that this story doesn't get told until at least three generations after his supposed resurrection is proof positive the events recorded in the gospels were invented little by little over the decades, then centuries. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's historic fact.
Well, that's an unfortunate assessment, because the ridiculous theory that He didn't exist
didn't even exist until the agenda-driven movements of luciferians and communists started
to posit that as part of their effort to break down Christianity. For example, Madame Blavatsky.
Jesus did exist. Romans, Jews, Greeks, Muslims, and all other peoples of history attest to this.
Moreover, the holy books of the NT were indeed started to be written shortly after the
crucifixion. It is apparent that you have no proper understanding of the times or methods.
Anyway, I've seen enough of your posts to realize that you're just not worth discussion
because your only pusuit here is to throw little annoying, quippy darts at us.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,968,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You know something, tinytrump, this is par for the course when you consider joining Christianity. This religion is so full of corruption, skullduggery, nefarious operations by the corrupt leaders in 300-1400 CE that persist even today that a person should seriously think before joining it, because if you do join it chances are you'll wind up on a psychiatrist's couch as have millions of Christians who are wrestling with trying to free themselves from it insidious grips on the psyche. They talk to their shrink of endless fears of going to hell, of doubting their salvation, doubting if Jesus really existed, not feeling any presence of the Holy Spirit, and hundreds of other issues.

Fortunately, I freed myself from its deathly grips but it took a long, LONG time and thousands of hours of study of its heinous history before I could shake myself loose of it grips. I try to warn people lurking here trying to decide whether or not to join Christianity to know exactly what they are getting themselves into before making the decision to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Well, that's an unfortunate assessment, because the ridiculous theory that He didn't exist
didn't even exist until the agenda-driven movements of luciferians and communists started
to posit that as part of their effort to break down Christianity. For example, Madame Blavatsky.
Jesus did exist. Romans, Jews, Greeks, Muslims, and all other peoples of history attest to this.
Moreover, the holy books of the NT were indeed started to be written shortly after the
crucifixion. It is apparent that you have no proper understanding of the times or methods.
Anyway, I've seen enough of your posts to realize that you're just not worth discussion
because your only pusuit here is to throw little annoying, quippy darts at us.
I never said Jesus didn't exist. I said the Jesus recorded in the gospels never existed. The real Jesus/Joshua likely existed according to Bart Ehrman, historian. But he was born of an ordinary man and woman who was not a virgin, he had brothers and sisters, Jude a possible twin brother, and became this wandering preacher who was crucified. End of story until Constantine made him a god in 331 CE.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-13-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,997,703 times
Looks like they polled 35,000 people. In a country of over 300 million people the accuracy of the statistics could and should be questioned. Having said that I do think fewer parents on a percentage-wise basis are raising their children with a good Christian upbringing, taking them to Sunday school, Catechism, sitting through services, reading the Bible, etc., to the detriment of our society.

I've been around long enough to watch the typical cycle of many Christians, myself included up to this point in my life anyway. Sometime during high school or shortly thereafter they drift away from the church, but then later after having children they decide they need to raise them in the church as they were raised, to learn good Christian values. Or if single they may pick up the Bible once in awhile to read some of it, before laying it back down for a few years. At some point in their lives, often as they get old and grey, they decide to actually read the Bible in a more dedicated way. If a poll was taken of how many Christians have read the entire Bible cover to cover, my guess is the percentage would be fairly low. It's very time consuming, and with all the distractions of modern day life it takes discipline to set time aside to read anything, especially the Bible which takes a little more concentration than most subjects.

One thing I believe some of the denominations could do a better job of is bridging that gap from when young people start drifting away from the church. In my case once Catechism was over and I was confirmed (8th or 9th grade), there wasn't really anything to further my knowledge as far as Bible classroom study was concerned. Energetic young people at that age need more structure to continue their religious education, rather than being left to figure it out on their own.

The next war we get into that affects everyone in the country like WW II did will cause a lot of people to get religious real quick. It's easy to drift away from religion when life is fairly easy, but when your loved ones are in danger in a war zone, or you are in battle yourself, you better believe there'll be an uptick in praying to the good Lord above.

And for others, when they realize they are getting close to leaving this world due to age or health reasons, they just may have a new found interest in religion, maybe even after having been snarky towards believers earlier in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity