Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times

Advertisements

Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Ps 19:13.

Can anyone explain this verse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Ps 19:13.

My idea....the way some people take it upon themselves to tell others how to live and how others must worship..DO NOT LET THEM HAVE DOMINION OVER ME, PLEASE God, save me from your followers!

Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Sin nature and presumptuous sin. Sin nature is an selfish instinct which we all suffer from.... children are our best example. Two kids one toy... well you know what happens, most of the time.

Presumptuous sin is with forbearance of thought or Intended sin. It is the act of defiance against God and man. I suspect presumptuous sin is from pride and arrogance.

Think of someone being wrong... or a liar. Wrong is bad information or being incorrect, but a liar knows the truth, and has knowledge.

Even murder can be from a careless unintended act or a heinousness act...

Old 06-05-2015, 05:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:

13.Who understands errors? Cleanse me of hidden [sins].

Rashi's Commentary:
Who understands errors?: I was careful with them but it is impossible to be so careful that one does not err in them, and You cleanse me of hidden sins, which were hidden from me; of which I was unaware when I sinned inadvertently.
14.Also withhold Your servant from willful sins; let them not rule over me; then I will be perfect and I will be cleansed of much transgression.

Rashi's Commentary:

Also… from willful sins: Heb. מזדים, from willful sins.

then I will be perfect: Heb. איתם will be perfect. The Sages said (Mid. Ps. 19:17, Lev. Rabbah 5:8): To what can David be compared? To a Cuthite who goes from door to door, and they are more cunning in this matter than any other people. “Give me a drink of water,” something that costs no money. After drinking, he says, “Perhaps you have a small onion?” After he gives it to him, he says, “Is there an onion without salt?” After he gives it to him, he says, “Give me a little bread, so that the onion does not harm me.” So did David say at first concerning the inadvertent sins, and then concerning the willful sins, and afterwards concerning the rebellious sins. פשעים are rebellious sins, with which one intends to provoke, and so Scripture says (II Kings 3:7): “The king of Moab rebelled (פשע) against me.”

Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,680 times
For me, the scripture (taken out of context, meaning, I'm not sure what surrounds that part of the Psalms) it brings to mind the word 'Concupiscence' - that innate leaning all humans have towards selfish desires which can be just about anything, even the desire to be seen doing good, for example. I'm not sure why the word lust usually gets immediately associated with sex since there are any number of things we can lust for at any given moment. Maybe because this is a type of lust that many people have a problem with.

Concupiscence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2015, 05:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Sin nature and presumptuous sin. Sin nature is an selfish instinct which we all suffer from.... children are our best example. Two kids one toy... well you know what happens, most of the time.

Presumptuous sin is with forbearance of thought or Intended sin. It is the act of defiance against God and man. I suspect presumptuous sin is from pride and arrogance.

Think of someone being wrong... or a liar. Wrong is bad information or being incorrect, but a liar knows the truth, and has knowledge.

Even murder can be from a careless unintended act or a heinousness act...

Well said, Dave. We really do have a never ending struggle within. It gets tiring, this wrestling match.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
For me, the scripture (taken out of context, meaning, I'm not sure what surrounds that part of the Psalms) it brings to mind the word 'Concupiscence' - that innate leaning all humans have towards selfish desires which can be just about anything, even the desire to be seen doing good, for example. I'm not sure why the word lust usually gets immediately associated with sex since there are any number of things we can lust for at any given moment. Maybe because this is a type of lust that many people have a problem with.

Concupiscence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree with you. Lust does come in many forms. For example, here in the USA, businesses and corporations have brainwashed us to believe that we gotta buy the newest car, electronic, fashion even when we don't need a new car, electric or outfit. We've been lured into thinking that as long as we get it now, and pay for it later, then that's the good American capitalist way, even though the median American income is about $50,000 a year. Those of us who know better have become content with less, and not idolize things that have a brand name on them.

Presumptuous sin is self destructive, and I thank God for revealing this to me in bible study.

Do you think that presumptuous sins arise from carelessness with God and God's Word, and carelessness with the needs of others?

We can also be LURED into these sins by the willful disobedience of others. This is where I see the depravity of our society becoming ever more rebellious against God. You turn on the tv and you hear people say things like, "I am living for me." Regardless of the fact that this "living for me" mindset could and does go against God's holiness.

When good has become evil and evil has become good today, all I can say is God help us.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,534,337 times
Quote:

The word presumptuous here can also mean proud or arrogant according to strongs. I believe he is asking not to have the sin of pride or ego take over.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The word presumptuous here can also mean proud or arrogant according to strongs. I believe he is asking not to have the sin of pride or ego take over.
Willful...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Willful...
I would say this use is slightly different than other uses since this is the only time this particular word occurs in the Bible where it is obviously willful in context. Not sure why they chose presumptuous rather than proud or arrogant. I didn't read the surrounding verses so I'm not going to say willful or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity