Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I sure am glad I ran from Christianity. Now I don't have to have anxiety attacks and go to pieces mentally and emotionally over a television of all thing.
Sad but true. So many people I knew were living on the edge with anxiety 24/7. And it just isn't like this once we allow ourselves to THINK and QUESTION with a critical eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:12 AM

45,551 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedliw View Post
This just happened to me yesterday morning and I am filed with anxiety about it. I got up at 4:30 am as usual. I took the day off to get some things done. I always start my day the same way, I read my daily devotional, and another daily pamphlet type of bible study and then the Bible. I have read through the Bible many times over the years and like to read different translations as well. I had just started reading the introduction of the next Bible I wanted to read, which is the Complete Jewish Bible, the morning before, but before I began to read the Bible I pushed back in my recliner and began to pray as usual. I thanked God for all He does for me and my family, I asked for His Blessings and for wisdom and understanding before I began to read His word. This was all normal, sort of my daily routine before I start each day. I sat up for a moment and took a sip of my coffee. While sipping the coffee I was staring at my large screen TV, no reason in particular, more like looking through it while I was thinking about stuff. I laid back down to finish my prayers but before I could start I heard a voice in the back of my head say, "Get that ugly black THING out of your house!" The tone was firm and a little bit angry. It startled me at first and before I could even think about what I had heard, the phrase was repeated. I KNEW it was God! I knew he was talking about the TV. I tried to form a question to the voice but before I could even say it He answered my question and told me it was God who had said it. That was it. I sat up shaking. I got up and started walking around the house wringing my hands in fear. I was afraid I was going crazy. I kept thinking about it over and over in my head. The way He said it. I began to try and make sense of it. I felt that His meaning was that the TV was an evil thing in my home. Maybe an idol. I wasn't sure, but it made sense. I could hear my wife getting up. When she came into the living room and said Good morning, I told her what had just happened. I was shaking and crying as I told her. She believed me and she prayed with me. After that she said "You know what we have to do." And I did, but I was afraid of telling people why all of a sudden I had to get rid of a very expensive TV set, immediately. What would the kids think? How would they take it if I told them the truth? They would think I was CRAZY. My mind was racing. It is the next day and I still haven't decided what to do and how to do it. Do I throw it out? Do I sell it? Can we never watch TV again? Too many questions and not enough answers. The pressure is on and I KNOW what I must do but I'm a nervous wreck now. I really want to do what God wants first of course, but the implications are more than I can explain right now. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. I need encouragement in doing the right thing, which I am ashamed to admit as well. Thank God for finding this site to enable me to get this off my chest. I will post again when I decide how to do what God wants me to do. I WILL do it, I have to.
So let's look at a couple of things...

Why get rid of the TV? Has the TV been a spiritual issue for you in the past? Is there a direction God is taking you and/or your family where removing the TV would be beneficial?

Are you sure it was God? How do you know?

I can't see this as coming out of nowhere.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't believe a word of it. I smell a punk post.
Funny how many people have an unusual event happen in their lives, in this case hearing God , then manage to find CD, make an account, and ask total strangers for their opinions.

OP: My opinion is if you're going to get rid of the TV you should also get rid of your computer lest you are tempted to watch Shark Week via the internet.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
If you feel that you should get rid of that tv, do so, but consider all of the good reasons for doing so. That voice in your head could be the voice of reason.....or not.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:37 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
I do not believe that was God telling you this , unless you are sinning with the TV, ... I have heard of holy rollers confessing to get rid of newspapers TV, radio , and all media , but if these people do not know what the world is doing then their prayers for the world and country will be gone ..... You should ask Jesus for His Spirit to discern these ideas , was it from God or the adversary spirit of this world , Jesus knows and remembers the message ......... Then if it was from God then you should put the TV in the garage or in storage for a season so Jesus does a work in your life , then sometime in the future you could get the TV back in your home with a new perspective

Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 PM

45,551 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Charles Stanley tells his testimony about when I think there was a monetary need for a church or building fund or something... and he had a bunch of expensive camera equipment that was important to him that the Lord prompted him to sell and give the money. There was no big internal voice... Just an internal prompting. He sold the equipment to a pawn shop. A time later, the equipment showed back up on his doorstep anonymously. Can't remember the exact details, but that's how it turned out.

Be careful about big voices in your conscience. God usually uses quiet inner promptings through the Holy Spirit, and usually when that happens you know it's from Him and there is no confusion about the source, and you know you need to follow the message.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-27-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
if you decide to get rid of the tv please donate it to a Women shelter or other such organization. Remember that God loves a cheerful giver.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:25 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,696 times
How many ugly black things are in your house? Why would God call it an ugly black thing? Have you heard voices before?

Remember; "By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity