Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 802 times

Advertisements

This just happened to me yesterday morning and I am filed with anxiety about it. I got up at 4:30 am as usual. I took the day off to get some things done. I always start my day the same way, I read my daily devotional, and another daily pamphlet type of bible study and then the Bible. I have read through the Bible many times over the years and like to read different translations as well. I had just started reading the introduction of the next Bible I wanted to read, which is the Complete Jewish Bible, the morning before, but before I began to read the Bible I pushed back in my recliner and began to pray as usual. I thanked God for all He does for me and my family, I asked for His Blessings and for wisdom and understanding before I began to read His word. This was all normal, sort of my daily routine before I start each day. I sat up for a moment and took a sip of my coffee. While sipping the coffee I was staring at my large screen TV, no reason in particular, more like looking through it while I was thinking about stuff. I laid back down to finish my prayers but before I could start I heard a voice in the back of my head say, "Get that ugly black THING out of your house!" The tone was firm and a little bit angry. It startled me at first and before I could even think about what I had heard, the phrase was repeated. I KNEW it was God! I knew he was talking about the TV. I tried to form a question to the voice but before I could even say it He answered my question and told me it was God who had said it. That was it. I sat up shaking. I got up and started walking around the house wringing my hands in fear. I was afraid I was going crazy. I kept thinking about it over and over in my head. The way He said it. I began to try and make sense of it. I felt that His meaning was that the TV was an evil thing in my home. Maybe an idol. I wasn't sure, but it made sense. I could hear my wife getting up. When she came into the living room and said Good morning, I told her what had just happened. I was shaking and crying as I told her. She believed me and she prayed with me. After that she said "You know what we have to do." And I did, but I was afraid of telling people why all of a sudden I had to get rid of a very expensive TV set, immediately. What would the kids think? How would they take it if I told them the truth? They would think I was CRAZY. My mind was racing. It is the next day and I still haven't decided what to do and how to do it. Do I throw it out? Do I sell it? Can we never watch TV again? Too many questions and not enough answers. The pressure is on and I KNOW what I must do but I'm a nervous wreck now. I really want to do what God wants first of course, but the implications are more than I can explain right now. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. I need encouragement in doing the right thing, which I am ashamed to admit as well. Thank God for finding this site to enable me to get this off my chest. I will post again when I decide how to do what God wants me to do. I WILL do it, I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Life is like an ice cube ... start chilling.

oh yeah, what's your age? There are event that take place in early adulthood that should d be addressed. Logically, There is a lot of EMR that comes of the screens that hit the eye and trigger impulses directly to the brain. It is information, but it is not doing what you think it is.

List the reaons for removing the TV. If they are reasonable then they are reasonable. Check the list with a friend.

good luck.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
But TV itself is not a bad thing. The USE of TV makes it good or evil.
I am not a Christian but I respect your faith.
You can use the TV primarily to play religiously motivated channels and also for clean fun. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedliw View Post
This just happened to me yesterday morning and I am filed with anxiety about it. I got up at 4:30 am as usual. I took the day off to get some things done. I always start my day the same way, I read my daily devotional, and another daily pamphlet type of bible study and then the Bible. I have read through the Bible many times over the years and like to read different translations as well. I had just started reading the introduction of the next Bible I wanted to read, which is the Complete Jewish Bible, the morning before, but before I began to read the Bible I pushed back in my recliner and began to pray as usual. I thanked God for all He does for me and my family, I asked for His Blessings and for wisdom and understanding before I began to read His word. This was all normal, sort of my daily routine before I start each day. I sat up for a moment and took a sip of my coffee. While sipping the coffee I was staring at my large screen TV, no reason in particular, more like looking through it while I was thinking about stuff. I laid back down to finish my prayers but before I could start I heard a voice in the back of my head say, "Get that ugly black THING out of your house!" The tone was firm and a little bit angry. It startled me at first and before I could even think about what I had heard, the phrase was repeated. I KNEW it was God! I knew he was talking about the TV. I tried to form a question to the voice but before I could even say it He answered my question and told me it was God who had said it. That was it. I sat up shaking. I got up and started walking around the house wringing my hands in fear. I was afraid I was going crazy. I kept thinking about it over and over in my head. The way He said it. I began to try and make sense of it. I felt that His meaning was that the TV was an evil thing in my home. Maybe an idol. I wasn't sure, but it made sense. I could hear my wife getting up. When she came into the living room and said Good morning, I told her what had just happened. I was shaking and crying as I told her. She believed me and she prayed with me. After that she said "You know what we have to do." And I did, but I was afraid of telling people why all of a sudden I had to get rid of a very expensive TV set, immediately. What would the kids think? How would they take it if I told them the truth? They would think I was CRAZY. My mind was racing. It is the next day and I still haven't decided what to do and how to do it. Do I throw it out? Do I sell it? Can we never watch TV again? Too many questions and not enough answers. The pressure is on and I KNOW what I must do but I'm a nervous wreck now. I really want to do what God wants first of course, but the implications are more than I can explain right now. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. I need encouragement in doing the right thing, which I am ashamed to admit as well. Thank God for finding this site to enable me to get this off my chest. I will post again when I decide how to do what God wants me to do. I WILL do it, I have to.
Punctuation clarifies the thought.

Based on this I would say SLOW down and chill...God will do what God wants to do

Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I don't believe a word of it. I smell a punk post.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedliw View Post
That wasn't G-d talking to you...That was YOU...I would say that it was based either on what you have heard preached to you or those opinionated devotionals that you read BEFORE you read G-d's word...All you need to read in the morning is G-d's word, not some devotional or commentary...And actually, reading is not good enough, you actually have to study it, dissect it, question it...If the answer comes too easy, then it is not the correct answer...Many times what we think is G-d telling us to do something is really our own minds telling us to do something...Because, if you really did hear from G-d regarding your TV, then you would truly have peace about it and not feel stressed over it...Perhaps your getting rid of your TV will cause strife/division in your family, now would that really be of G-d?...

Old 06-27-2015, 09:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
punk=troll=mind melt?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:12 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
hahahahaha Or, we should look for a large screen TV at the curb. It will be large and black.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
I sure am glad I ran from Christianity. Now I don't have to have anxiety attacks and go to pieces mentally and emotionally over a television of all thing.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
If your post is true, I think you were having a mental delusion. God doesn't make people wring their hands with fear nor does he cause people to make snap decisions. I do not believe you heard this from God. Turn the T.V. off for a time and see a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity