Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Remember the story of the man who was not allowed to remain at the wedding feast because he did not have the correct clothing. The king did not allow it.

Matthew 22 NRS

1 Once more Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying: 2 "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding banquet for his son. 3 He sent his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding banquet, but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other slaves, saying, "Tell those who have been invited: Look, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready; come to the wedding banquet.' 5 But they made light of it and went away, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his slaves, mistreated them, and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his slaves, "The wedding is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore into the main streets, and invite everyone you find to the wedding banquet.' 10 Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; so the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 "But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing a wedding robe, 12 and he said to him, "Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding robe?' And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, "Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' 14 For many are called, but few are chosen."

Most christians think this parable is about heaven....... what i would like to know is if it is about heaven, how did the bloke with no wedding clobber on get in there?. Maybe this another parable the fundies have got completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:21 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
This is an excellent example of a "not so nice" teaching of Jesus. The "fire-and-brimstone" is clear. Passages like this chip away at the Nice Social Activist Jesus narrative.

How can this passage be explained away? Is there "cultural context" that sheds some light on the issue?
Only to those who've been conditioned to see it, and/or who have a vested interest in seeing it.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Only to those who've been conditioned to see it, and/or who have a vested interest in seeing it.
Ok. Can you put a positive spin on tying someone up and throwing them into darkness where they will be weeping? Did Jesus actually mean "tell him nicely to leave since he was not invited?"

Like I often say, one can make the bible say whatever one wants it to say, with enough "interpretation."

Old 07-28-2015, 12:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Ok. Can you put a positive spin on tying someone up and throwing them into darkness? Did Jesus actually mean "tell him nicely to leave since he was not invited?"

Like I often say, one can make the bible say whatever one wants it to say, with enough "interpretation."
You fundamentalists and your literal take on everything.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Ok. Can you put a positive spin on tying someone up and throwing them into darkness where they will be weeping? Did Jesus actually mean "tell him nicely to leave since he was not invited?"

Indeed, so the point is to check and see whether the particular passage or presentation is consistent with the rest of the message and consider whether the words attributed to Jesus were likely to have been spoken by Him.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Of cause, we are all the characters of the bible and some of those characters are gate crashers that need the right boot of fellowship, nothing wrong with a little aggression if it is channeled in the right direction. Hope that helps. Before you start calling me a loony liberal, never voted for one in my entire life .

Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Most christians think this parable is about heaven....... what i would like to know is if it is about heaven, how did the bloke with no wedding clobber on get in there?. Maybe this another parable the fundies have got completely wrong.
It is about those who think they are part of God's people but are not.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:50 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Here is another.

Matthew 25

"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like this. Ten bridesmaids took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 When the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them; 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, all of them became drowsy and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a shout, "Look! Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' 7 Then all those bridesmaids got up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.' 9 But the wise replied, "No! there will not be enough for you and for us; you had better go to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.' 10 And while they went to buy it, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went with him into the wedding banquet; and the door was shut. 11 Later the other bridesmaids came also, saying, "Lord, lord, open to us.' 12 But he replied, "Truly I tell you, I do not know you.' 13 Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
It is about those who think they are part of God's people but are not.
Doesn't surprise that you think that. Let me guess...... many are called but you are one of the few that are chosen.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:09 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
The interpretation of "who is chosen" is certainly debatable by all of you, but that is exactly what the two parables are referring to.

It isn't a big mystery.

Many call themselves Christians but then act like Babylonians. I cannot see their hearts, but my gut would tell me that many of "those" types will be the ones knocking at the door because they weren't ready when the time came.

Mercy and grace abound NOW. But when the clock strikes 12 my friends that chapter is closed and there will be an awful lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth. You have been warned, yet continue to mock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity