Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times

Advertisements

Did Jesus preach about meditation?

Did He teach His followers to meditate to find God ?

Did Jesus meditate?

I haven't ever heard such a thing. But He did say to remain in His word and follow Him.

" If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple"

"My brothers, mother and sisters hear the word of God and do it."

"Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."

"It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is useless. The words I spoke to you are spirit and life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 01:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Yes he did..

Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Yes he did..
What verses?

Old 08-01-2015, 01:36 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
What verses?
Jesus wrote NOTHING during his lifetime. All there is to go on concerning Jesus' teachings are the words put into his mouth by the writings of anonymous others decades after Jesus was dead.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Jesus wrote NOTHING during his lifetime. All there is to go on concerning Jesus' teachings are the words put into his mouth by the writings of anonymous others decades after Jesus was dead.
People kept the words alive by word of mouth. Just because what was written down years later does not mean it is inaccurate nor does it mean it was not written down but then copied.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

Did Jesus meditate?

I haven't ever heard such a thing. But He did say to remain in His word and follow Him.

"It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is useless. The words I spoke to you are spirit and life."

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law does he MEDITATE day and night

“Therefore I tell you, do not MEDITATE about your life, what you will eat or drink; or MEDITATE about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? MEDITATE about how the birds of the air do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

But i tell you MEDITATE upon the kingdom of God and his righteousness all these things you MEDITATE upon shall be added unto you.

You can never see or understand this while you read the bible like a literal word for word story book.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--MEDITATE about such things

Old 08-01-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
What verses?
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you, they have recieved their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room and close the door and pray to your Father who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask."

Matthew 6: 5-8

In the above passage from Matthew, Jesus teaches his followers to pray in solitude, using as few words as possible. Short and sweet seems to be what Jesus teaches concerning prayer. Yet many times in the Gospel accounts Jesus is said to spend an entire night in prayer before making a major ministerial move. Jesus is said to rise from sleep hours before his other disciples so he could go into a quite place to pray. Jesus is even said to have gone into the desert for 40 days and 40 nights to fast and pray. If Jesus believed in keeping spoken prayers short, what would He be doing for hours on end, or even days on end, praying in the wilderness? I believe He was spending time listening to God, being with God. In short, Jesus meditated.

The word “meditate” appears in the Bible (King James Version) 14 times. (Words that could be translated as “meditate” appear much more often.) The count includes mentions of prominent Bible characters engaging in the practice, as well as explicit commands for all who worship God to do the same. The latter includes at least one in the New Testament: 1 Timothy 4:16’s Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Add to that commandment this blessing of Psalm 1:1-2: Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Did Jesus meditate?

Is the argument that meditation is NOT christian? If so seriously? Why wouldn't meditation be a valid part of christianity / spirituality?

And for 40 days and nights in the desert, Jesus did what? HE MEDITATED!!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
That's a false statement. Stop posting nonsense if you are tired of it.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is the argument that meditation is NOT christian? If so seriously? Why wouldn't meditation be a valid part of christianity / spirituality?

And for 40 days and nights in the desert, Jesus did what? HE MEDITATED!!
I blew my top 20 years ago when i found out that they were rehearsing a school play which promoted meditation at the infant school my daughter attended and was going to be part of. If that is what i was like 20 years ago, hell knows what i would be like today if i had not been saved from fundamentalism......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity