Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,951,863 times

Advertisements

John 14:6

Please meditate on this scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
John 14:6

Please meditate on this scripture.
John 1:4
In him was life, and that life was - the light of all humanity.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay,

I need spiritual people who really believe the Bible to help me answer this question. I'm afraid that it won't make a lot of sense to everyone else, and it barely makes sense to me, really.

Anyway, I think I was recently "saved" again, but I'm still really confused. I'm already extremely OCD about religious matters, and I'm worried that I damned myself with some kind of confusing promise to follow the rules the people at the church I attend preach. They are pretty strict about everything, no listening to non-Christian music (they don't even allow Classical music), no dancing (except non-choreographed "praise" dancing), no "worldly" activities (I'm afraid to ask, but I know going to the theatre, listening to concerts, attending festivals--like Mardi Gras--and other similar activities are off of the list, no gambling (I think raffles are included in this definition, too), no makeup (I can see justification for this, but some people, like me, need it,), etc. When I first started attending this church, I thought a lot of their rules were silly, perhaps overly cautious misinterpretations of scriptures, but now, especially with the idea that I told God I would follow this (even though I was honestly trying to say that I wouldn't follow it and just said it the wrong way) I've actually been feeling guilty about every day activities that might violate some of these rules. I'm at my wit's end. I wish I could be free of all of this confusion. I work as a teacher, and I have to show videos sometimes, and videos contain music, usually non-Christian music, for instance. I hate all of this confusion. I feel like I've somehow ruined my life.

I've been told to seek God about it, but I'm kind of afraid of what I'm going to learn. I do remember the man who vowed to God that he would sacrifice the first thing that came up to him if he won the war, and it was his own daughter...We truly do need to be careful with our words, but I can't imagine actually having to live my life like this.
Find a Bible based church. Your current church is not only legalistic, they are actually inventing their own law.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,936,383 times
Quote:
Okay,

I need spiritual people who really believe the Bible to help me answer this question. I'm afraid that it won't make a lot of sense to everyone else, and it barely makes sense to me, really.

Anyway, I think I was recently "saved" again, but I'm still really confused. I'm already extremely OCD about religious matters, and I'm worried that I damned myself with some kind of confusing promise to follow the rules the people at the church I attend preach. They are pretty strict about everything, no listening to non-Christian music (they don't even allow Classical music), no dancing (except non-choreographed "praise" dancing), no "worldly" activities (I'm afraid to ask, but I know going to the theatre, listening to concerts, attending festivals--like Mardi Gras--and other similar activities are off of the list, no gambling (I think raffles are included in this definition, too), no makeup (I can see justification for this, but some people, like me, need it,), etc. When I first started attending this church, I thought a lot of their rules were silly, perhaps overly cautious misinterpretations of scriptures, but now, especially with the idea that I told God I would follow this (even though I was honestly trying to say that I wouldn't follow it and just said it the wrong way) I've actually been feeling guilty about every day activities that might violate some of these rules. I'm at my wit's end. I wish I could be free of all of this confusion. I work as a teacher, and I have to show videos sometimes, and videos contain music, usually non-Christian music, for instance. I hate all of this confusion. I feel like I've somehow ruined my life.

I've been told to seek God about it, but I'm kind of afraid of what I'm going to learn. I do remember the man who vowed to God that he would sacrifice the first thing that came up to him if he won the war, and it was his own daughter...We truly do need to be careful with our words, but I can't imagine actually having to live my life like this.

I hope you will know that you have not ruined your life; you just got involved with the wrong church and it happens. It happened to me just recently. Look for a church where God is worshiped in spirit and truth, not by a set of legalistic rules. No amount of obeying a set of rules (biblical or not) will earn anyone merit before God. Obeying God's commandments should be done out of love for God, not fear of punishment. They should not be a burden. Christ's yoke is light as He has described it in His word--He has called the weary and those who are burdened, not to give them more burdens. Neither does he break the bruised reed nor put out the smoldering flax. God's name is Mercy and He is merciful to all those who call on His Name in sincerity and repentance.

It seems we live in dark spiritual times and it is hard to know what to do, God's light being such a dim one to our sight. Trust in God though, and not in people, not even those of the church. I think however it is important to find a church where you can go and be spiritually supported and strengthened. After leaving the church I had joined and attending the one I regret that I ever stopped attending, I see that the satanic attacks that had assailed me in the months previous are not doing the damage they once had done. God is upholding me strongly and I am convinced that I have found the right spiritual home, the church I am meant to belong to. I hope that God will lead you to the right church.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:36 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,588,982 times
Wow,

I had a refreshing conversation Sunday with a member of that church who seems to believe like I do. There are just certain people there that I guess I should not talk to. I don't think they really know what they believe, and they've managed to confuse me once or twice. It wouldn't hurt so much, but the pastor's wife is one of the ones who seems to believe there are prohibitions on everything that doesn't directly talk about Jesus, if I'm correct. I think I'll just start trying to ignore everything; those things I named are not beliefs held by every member of that church, at least not from what I understand. I wish people wouldn't do that. It really confuses me. If you talk about your personal beliefs as if everyone should hold them, what are you trying to accomplish? I was really distressed.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
Quote:
Wow,

There are just certain people there that I guess I should not talk to. I don't think they really know what they believe, and they've managed to confuse me once or twice. It wouldn't hurt so much, but the pastor's wife is one of the ones who seems to believe there are prohibitions on everything that doesn't directly talk about Jesus, if I'm correct. I think I'll just start trying to ignore everything; it's not a belief held by every member of that church, at least not from what I understand. I wish people wouldn't do that. It really messes with me.

I sincerely believe it would benefit you to find a new church.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
If you talk about your personal beliefs as if everyone should hold them, what are you trying to accomplish? I was really distressed.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:58 AM

1,146 posts, read 650,930 times
Quote:
Okay,

Ask a question about spiritual matters on the internet and you're going to get a thousand different answers mostly because everybody thinks he's some sort of mini-pope or prophet. Few, very few have any formal theological education whatsoever and those that do are generally ignored by the self-important uneducated rabble.

Rules for a saved gentile are relatively simple. Accept the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved. Make Him the foremost and utmost person in your life - your first priority not your last resort.

Study to show yourself approved - mostly to the guy you see in the mirror. Use an older version of the Bible such as King James or New American Standard. Do NOT use a Scofield reference Bible or ANY modern translation. They are misleading and erroneous. Read a portion daily. I suggest a few chapters from the old testament and a few chapters of the new testament each day. Buy a good commentary or set up links for several on the web to enhance those times when you want to study an answer to a question. You MUST work on it yourself. Do NOT use Bible study materials you get in church. Those things are littered with denominational dogma and very little real truth or interpretation of scripture. You MUST dig it out yourself. The reward for doing so is enormous.

Pray each day. Make a special time for regular prayer. One must pray during all times, of course, but a specific set time each day for personal devotions is necessary.

Avoid distractions. This depends upon the person. If drinking distracts, then stop it. If sex is a distraction, then stop it. If work consumes too much of your mind or relationships make your heart sore, then separate yourself from it as much as possible. You must approach your faith with as clear a mind as possible.

YOU are responsible for searching out your own answers, for finding your own path in life. Christ will be with you to guide you and help you if you seek Him with all your heart and mind.

None of these things require a rocket scientist or an old testament prophet for guidance. They do require personal attention. There are no short cuts through life.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Wow,

I had a refreshing conversation Sunday with a member of that church who seems to believe like I do. There are just certain people there that I guess I should not talk to. I don't think they really know what they believe, and they've managed to confuse me once or twice. It wouldn't hurt so much, but the pastor's wife is one of the ones who seems to believe there are prohibitions on everything that doesn't directly talk about Jesus, if I'm correct. I think I'll just start trying to ignore everything; those things I named are not beliefs held by every member of that church, at least not from what I understand. I wish people wouldn't do that. It really confuses me. If you talk about your personal beliefs as if everyone should hold them, what are you trying to accomplish? I was really distressed.
Good to hear from you. I am pleased to hear terms like 'refreshed' and 'was'. It sounds as though you are finding a way to accommodate yourself to the situation. Without necessarily having to run off and find another church.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:41 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,154,148 times
Quote:
Okay,

Is this a Seventh Day Adventist church you attend? All these restrictions sound exactly like my former Adventists friends said they used to have at church, before they left it...no makeup, no jewelry, dont go to movies, no dancing...etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity