Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM

389 posts, read 617,780 times

Advertisements

I remember back to my Christian private school science class teacher for the explanation of >100 year lifespans. He said before Noah's ark was completed, all the flood waters were in the atmosphere. This layer of water protected earth's inhabitants from excessive aging.

In this science class, the age of the earth was explained with an empirical observation. He stated fossils don't need millions of years to form because we have found modern fossilized items. The example was a leather hat was found mineralized to stone. This old miners cap, buried in ideal brine to fossilize, demonstrated the process doesn't need millions of years.

Without further inquiry, or a need for a real answer, I have remembered these takes for 20 years. Anybody else have any good science based biblical answers for questions that didn't need asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Oh, good grief!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 AM

33,334 posts, read 26,552,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
I remember back to my Christian private school science class teacher for the explanation of >100 year lifespans. He said before Noah's ark was completed, all the flood waters were in the atmosphere. This layer of water protected earth's inhabitants from excessive aging.

In this science class, the age of the earth was explained with an empirical observation. He stated fossils don't need millions of years to form because we have found modern fossilized items. The example was a leather hat was found mineralized to stone. This old miners cap, buried in ideal brine to fossilize, demonstrated the process doesn't need millions of years.

Without further inquiry, or a need for a real answer, I have remembered these takes for 20 years. Anybody else have any good science based biblical answers for questions that didn't need asked?
Genesis 7:11 speaks of all the great fountains of the deep bursting open. This means that the flood waters were not in the atmosphere prior to the flood.

As for the age of the earth, the Bible doesn't say. But if you believe in a young earth then consider the formation of the Hawaiian Island chain which includes the atolls to the Northwest of the current main islands and the new island which is currently being formed but which is still under the surface of the ocean.

Each of the islands according to theory were formed in conveyor belt fashion as the tectonic plate on which they lay moved, and is moving over a stationary hot spot in the earth's mantle (one theory states that the hotspot itself is moving) which provides the magma which forms the islands which are volcanic rock. As each island moves away from the hot spot the building stops and erosion eventually wears the island down with the result that we have the atolls to the Northwest of the main islands. Given enough time, each of the main islands would also eventually be worn down to atolls. This geologic building and erosion process of the Hawaiian Islands has taken place over millions of years. It simply could not have occurred in a few thousand years.

Here is a brief (only eight minutes) video explaining the way the Hawaiian Islands have formed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1eibbfAEVk

Something to think about.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,580,504 times
Quote:

Grammatically, before you can use that phrase, you need to have "good science based biblical answers". Not cereal box loopy guessing.

You could of asked your teacher his good science take on why he thought that something that was millions of years old also took millions of years to form? Logic jump there for sure. A 150 year old steam locomotive built in 3 months in 1850 didn't take 150 years to form - it took 3 months.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM

389 posts, read 617,780 times
Oh, those beliefs are not mine nor ever were. They have provided a pleasant thought of God when I think about natural history unknowns. I've since become a research chemist well versed in the sciences. My career and daily life hasn't required giving testimony to floods or fossils, so don't worry about my influence on the world.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:

The science is there. Think of the ozone layer. It impacts radiation reaching the earth and impacting life. The water canopy is described as being there in the book of Genesis and along with subsurface water covered the earth. Once the water drained off that canopy/protective layer was gone and within a generation or two life went to about the same as today. Moses commented that it was 70 to 80 years and it still is.

A fiend of mine has done a study on soil sediment and erosion from a geological prospective, particularly in Norway and such areas and the evidence is there for such flooding.

The Bible is not a "Science" book in that it covers things from a historical prospective and only includes minimal information about the event, but sufficient that science shows it is possible. Some may disagree with the story, but the science is there to support the life impacting change.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
Actually only these blessed sons of God like Adam and Seth, Enos, Cainan, Malhalaleel Jared Enoch, Methuseiah, Lemech, and Noah , and then later Abraham , as these people where the people God chose in succession as the first born or the favorite from God as the only care person in the earth to keep interaction and faith for God , and not one else in the bible or the world lived that long , as some of these had two or more wives in their long lives ,..................... so these and more later the faith God needed to usher in the Messiah Lord Jesus 4 thousand years from Adam to Joseph who were the spiritual Fathers of faith for the Messiah

Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
I really believe they used the metric system in determine age. Then again, those who wrote about the patriarchs longevity were not around to have FIRST hand knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity