Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times

Advertisements

Homosexuality in the Bible? – An alternative perspective

Preface: I am sharing this information to those who are interested in the topic of homosexuality in the Bible. This provides an alternate perspective to the mainstream viewpoint that homosexuality is undoubtedly a sin and that the Biblical text on the subject is plain and simple … Please read on if you are interested in the literal interpretations of Hebrew and Greek which offer a new perception of this controversial topic. This is not a new "liberal" theology, but information that is provided to you just by intensively studying the Bible while taking into consideration the cultural and linguistic context of the time in which it was written.

SEE TABLE OF CONTENTS

Proverbs 18:13
If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:15 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Be careful, HWC ...Paul never used the word 'sodomite' anywhere in his letters. That's an Old Testament term for 'temple prostitute'. It's not used in the New Testament at all. Nor did Paul mention the term 'temple prostitutes' as far as I'm aware. But, he CERTAINLY alluded to them in Romans 1 since they were a part of the idolatry practices mentioned in that passage. Sacred temple prostitution was apparently a pretty big deal back in Paul's day as well as prior to Paul's day. Have you actually taken the time to read up on pagan idolatry and temple prostitution, HWC? Perhaps you should so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

I don't know where you're going with your somehow applying 'Christ's Body is the Temple' to Romans 1:18-27 because it is clearly stating that 'those who once knew God' were now participating in idol worship. And, if you do read that passage of scripture just 'as is' you will see the connection Paul makes to sexual rituals consisting of sexual intercourse or other sexual activity performed in the context of religious worship. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Paul suddenly shifts his focus in this chapter from idolatry (which is the main theme of the chapter) to shenanigans that may have been going on within his own private circles. I realize that you and yours need that passage of scripture as ammunition to vilify gay people but, sorry, it won't wash.

Gee, you're not keeping up are you, HWC? That scripture has already been addressed in this VERY post! The term 'homosexuals' that you even had the audacity to bold was NOT in the original scriptures since the word did not exist! Nor did an equivalent word exist in the Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek vocabularies of the original Bible authors. You see, these folks would not have known what a homosexual was ...certainly not as we today define homosexuality as a natural (to a certain percentage of people) sexual orientation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
It is not male prostitutes. It is referring to homosexuals. Again, I don't vilify gay people. The only people being vilified here are those preaching against homosexuality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Because you say so and want to believe it so that you can continue to condemn others, not based on the actual language and culture of the time.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Homosexuality in the Bible? – An alternative perspective

Preface: I am sharing this information to those who are interested in the topic of homosexuality in the Bible. This provides an alternate perspective to the mainstream viewpoint that homosexuality is undoubtedly a sin and that the Biblical text on the subject is plain and simple … Please read on if you are interested in the literal interpretations of Hebrew and Greek which offer a new perception of this controversial topic. This is not a new "liberal" theology, but information that is provided to you just by intensively studying the Bible while taking into consideration the cultural and linguistic context of the time in which it was written.

SEE TABLE OF CONTENTS

Proverbs 18:13
If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.

Thanks for the link.

This is well-stated:

"With this knowledge it must be noted that there are many verses in the Bible that condemn heterosexual acts such as adultery, incest (in later passages), and prostitution. If we were to say that these verses condemned all heterosexuals, then it would be seen as ridiculous. When one takes the time to research the ancient text, one may come to the same conclusion that the condemnation of these homosexual acts are not condemning all homosexuals entirely. So although there may be some forbidden practices within homosexual and heterosexual sex, these verses do not seem to convict all gay and lesbian people."

To be consistent, a "bible-believer" must either condemn both heterosexuality as well as homosexuality, or condemn neither.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:21 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,237 times
Quote:
They are male prostitutes and their 'clients'. You're doing a disservice to 'Christianity', HWC, by consistently misusing scripture to vilify gay people. In your case I don't think it's intentional but you really do need to educate yourself on some of the pagan worship practices 'back in the day' that DID make sense to those who performed them. They would not have considered idol worship to have been an evil thing, nor would they have considered sexual rituals with temple prostitutes as evil. The latter were there to provide a religious service believing them to appease the idols in exchange for 'supernatural' favors. In a way, these religious services may not have been too much different from the over-the-top meetings of some present-day Pentecostal Churches. I wonder what Paul would have to say about them if he were still around ...?
You are the one misusing scripture to justify sin.

Quote:

The Greek translation of these Leviticus passages condemns a man (arseno) lying with (koitai) another man (arseno); these words (excuse the pun) lie side-by-side in these passages in Leviticus. Paul joins these two words together into a neologism, a new word (as we do in saying database or software), and thus he condemns in 1Corinthians and 1Timothy what was condemned in Leviticus.

Jones believes, then, that the most credible translation of what Paul is condemning in 1Corinthians6:9 is a person doing exactly what Leviticus condemns: engaging in homosexual sex (a man being a “man-lier”). Far from dismissing the relevance of Leviticus, Paul is implicitly invoking its enduring validity for our understanding of sexual sin, and drawing on it as the foundation of his teaching on homosexual conduct. He is saying, “Remember what it said not to do in Leviticus18:22 and 20:13? Don’t do that!”

https://www.equip.org/article/is-ars...at-mysterious/

If you support homosexuality then you are saying Jesus was a liar when he defined marriage as being ONLY I repeat ONLY between man and woman. If God wanted male couples to raise children then he would have given males the ability to breast feed.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:30 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

If you support homosexuality then you are saying Jesus was a liar when he defined marriage as being ONLY I repeat ONLY between man and woman. If God wanted male couples to raise children then he would have given males the ability to breast feed.
Jesus didn't issue a definition.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Sort of like, if God had wanted people to fly he would have given them wings?

Also, Jesus did not define marriage. Nate said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point that you are missing... is that a DEscription of a normal situation is not a PREscription saying that it HAS to be this way, nor a PROscription saying that anything else is wrong.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:

As the author says:

"Jones believes, then, that the most credible translation of what Paul is condemning in 1Corinthians6:9 is a person doing exactly what Leviticus condemns:..."

I don't disagree with him at all. It is condemning the same thing as Leviticus.

Sadly, since he mistakenly thinks Leviticus is about homosexual relationships, he carries his ignorance forward and inserts it into the 1 Cor passage as well.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Jesus didn't issue a definition.
Of course he did. He affirmed marriage as it was in Genesis.

He also, of course, created Adam and Eve.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:

Jeff, if you listen to nothing else that I have to say regarding the Bible and homosexuality I hope you will at least consider this...whenever you use ANY scripture with the intent of vilifying someone else - whether you believe that scripture to be accurate or not - you are doing a disservice to the Christianity as taught by Jesus. The words of Jesus were never intended to demean others but, sadly, this is what you and yours do persistently. You need to step back and take a good look at yourself. What would Jesus think of you while you continue to slam homosexual people with the tag 'sin' while you yourself are every bit the sinner that you label others with? Don't you ever think, "Gee, I'm a hypocrite in every sense of the meaning of the word" . . .?

Quote:
Jeff, just look in the mirror and say as often as it takes to sink in ..."I am a hypocrite and I use the Bible as a tool to demean others!" Admit to this, alter your ways, and I pretty much guarantee that you'll be not only a happier man but also a more effective Christian.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Jeff, if you listen to nothing else that I have to say regarding the Bible and homosexuality I hope you will at least consider this...whenever you use ANY scripture with the intent of vilifying someone else - whether you believe that scripture to be accurate or not - you are doing a disservice to the Christianity as taught by Jesus. The words of Jesus were never intended to demean others but, sadly, this is what you and yours do persistently. You need to step back and take a good look at yourself. What would Jesus think of you while you continue to slam homosexual people with the tag 'sin' while you yourself are every bit the sinner that you label others with? Don't you ever think, "Gee, I'm a hypocrite in every sense of the meaning of the word" . . .?

Jeff, just look in the mirror and say as often as it takes to sink in ..."I am a hypocrite and I use the Bible as a tool to demean others!" Admit to this, alter your ways, and I pretty much guarantee that you'll be not only a happier man but also a more effective Christian.
Don't take this the wrong way, but when you trash Scripture, reinvent Jesus, and tell us that 2000 years of historical Christianity is wrong? You really alienate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.