Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 10:53 AM

10,103 posts, read 5,774,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what atheists have been saying a long time. There are so many flavors of christianity that what is at one side of the spectrum doesn't resemble at all what is at the other side.

I've asked the question many different times as to how I, as an atheist, can get the same feeling you do, and how can it be replicated. No one ever has been able to answer it other than to say it is written on one's heart, whatever that means. Or open up one's heart. Or read the bible and the spirit will guide you.

I've READ and STUDIED the bible. All of it. In context. In more than one language. And doing so made me, and many, many others, atheists.

Don't skip any parts. They tell a story. How many gods did the Hebrews have as example.
Actually the fact that you and countless other atheists feel the need to daily and exclusively rip down Christianity serves a point of proof that Christianity is true. So does the fact that throughout history, Christians have been one of the most hateful and persecuted groups.

If I truly believed in atheism and believed that my very short infinite was all I get then I certainly wouldn't be wasting any time in meaningless debates with Christians. I would be out there getting the most I could out of life minute by minute.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:55 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,623,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So that feeling you get that it's false? That's just a feeling and not to be taken literally?
Why would you not be a skeptic about claims, until they are proven? Why would you take a perception on faith and belief only?

It doesn't matter how hard I want to believe that I can breath underwater, that belief doesn't make it so. It doesn't matter how much faith I have that I can breath underwater, that still doesn't make it so.

Believing something doesn't make it true. Facts do, demonstrable, readily verifiable facts.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:00 AM

10,103 posts, read 5,774,747 times
Quote:
If your answer is not the child, what could it be?
It is the child's fault. Otherwise, that would be like blaming the gun manufacturers for a mass shooting.

Quote:

But according to your story, he also created 1/3 of the angels that joined up with his evil creation (after all, god knew what satan would be like). So, why would a good god create evil?

The alternative is for God to create beings that can never choose, being forced to follow Him like drones. God didn't directly create evil. He created the potential for evil. If someone made a weapon out of lego bricks then you wouldn't say Lego company is evil.

Quote:

Although if killing people is evil, satan killed millions less than god did in the bible story.
Wrong. Satan and his demons can influence the minds of people and lead them to do things like kill people or even commit suicide.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,110,087 times
Quote:
Why would you not be a skeptic about claims, until they are proven? Why would you take a perception on faith and belief only?

It doesn't matter how hard I want to believe that I can breath underwater, that belief doesn't make it so. It doesn't matter how much faith I have that I can breath underwater, that still doesn't make it so.

Believing something doesn't make it true. Facts do, demonstrable, readily verifiable facts.
Glad you agree. So you're giving up atheism, belief in evolution, etc?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,623,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Actually the fact that you and countless other atheists feel the need to daily and exclusively rip down Christianity serves a point of proof that Christianity is true. So does the fact that throughout history, Christians have been one of the most hateful and persecuted groups.
It is interesting how often christians want to invoke the persecution complex, especially as to this point, they still are the mainstream, especially in America.

Throughout christian history, the hatefulness has been predominantly on the christian side. Who started the Crusades? Who invoked the witch trials? Who burned people at the stake in the name of their god? Who committed genocide on indigenous peoples because they were not christian? Who invoked the Inquisitions? Who covers up sexual predator behavior by their worship leaders? Who taught hatred of Jews for "killing christ" for centuries? Who taught slavery was biblical?

Who was the persecutor?

Quote:
If I truly believed in atheism and believed that my very short infinite was all I get then I certainly wouldn't be wasting any time in meaningless debates with Christians. I would be out there getting the most I could out of life minute by minute.
One doesn't "believe in atheism". Atheism simply is a disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of a god or gods. Nothing more or less.

Atheists live this life, likely the only one we have, fully and to the best of our ability. Most are humanists also, wanting to improve the human condition in this life, as opposed to some fantasy in some next one. Care about people now, when they need it and can benefit directly from it, not trying to sell some future reward of mythology.

Now, jeff, tell me what was hateful against christians in any of the above.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,110,087 times
Quote:

One doesn't "believe in atheism". Atheism simply is a disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of a god or gods. Nothing more or less.

Atheists live this life, likely the only one we have, fully and to the best of our ability. Most are humanists also, wanting to improve the human condition in this life, as opposed to some fantasy in some next one. Care about people now, when they need it and can benefit directly from it, not trying to sell some future reward of mythology.

Now, jeff, tell me what was hateful against christians in any of the above.
Right. Your apathy toward religion is why you're here, harassing Christians for what we believe?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,307,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Right. Your apathy toward religion is why you're here, harassing Christians for what we believe?

Quit lying. Nobody is "harassing" Christians. We're harassing bigots and liars who hide behind the Christianity banner.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM

6,843 posts, read 2,865,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The closest answer is the Quaker answer: "I cannot tell anyone else how to experience God. I can only tell you how I experience God."

Reading and studying the bible never did it for me, either. Standing in the woods or at the edge of the ocean or a lake or other body of water does. That's when I feel connected.

Doesn't mean that works for everyone else.

I love that. I feel closest to Him when I'm lying in bed talking to Him.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM

6,843 posts, read 2,865,926 times
Quote:
Yes, no question nature drives my spirituality.

But that connection to the whole does not require a sentient, anthropomorphic, omnipresent, omniscient entity. All it requires is absorbing the interconnection of our world, from the earth, microbes, plants, animals, humans, and the celestial bodies that comprise our solar system, galaxy and the universe itself.

That connection drives my other side, humanism. We are all part of this whole, and if we take care of ourselves, our families, and our fellow human beings, then we have lived a good life.

This is pretty good stuff, Normy.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 AM

463 posts, read 190,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I love that. I feel closest to Him when I'm lying in bed talking to Him.
I'm looking into picking up a property overlooking a lake so I can set up my home library facing it and get some solid time with him each morning

A buddy of mine listens to sermons while jogging around a huge lake, says it's where he feels closest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity