Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
http://insidethevatican.com/news/let...im-and-francis

Why Did the Pope Meet Kim?

"What was the purpose of this meeting?

Pope Francis met with Kim, embraced her, encouraged her, and, on the papal airplane, when asked the question cited at the outset, he stated, very strongly, that “conscientious objection” is “a human right.”

It is not surprising that the Holy Father met Kim Davis. The Holy Father is considered by many to be the father of all Christians. He is a man of compassion, a man ready to listen to and to comfort all who have suffered for their faith."
Ummm, the pope's itinerary did not include kentucky.

Pope's USA itinerary released | National Catholic Reporter
Where is Pope Francis? A schedule of his U.S. visit

So when did this meeting take place?

Edited to add - the site you linked to is down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Pope Francis Met Secretly With Kim Davis, Offered His Support and Prayers - Breitbart

“Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying ‘this right that has merit, this one does not.’ It (conscientious objection) is a human right.”
Moran pressed, “Would that include government officials as well?”
Pope Francis replied, “It is a human right and if a government official is a human person, he has that right. It is a human right.”

Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Janelle, try finding some credible sources. It make doesn't make you look very good quoting what you did, and then the website is a click bait site that now is down.

And Breitbart? Ya. Right.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Janelle, try finding some credible sources. It make doesn't make you look very good quoting what you did, and then the website is a click bait site that now is down.

Every story I can find about it links back to "inside the vatican" which is now gone.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Allegedly, Ms. Davis and her husband went to Washington, DC to meet (secretly) with the Pope. However, I do find it kind of hypocritical of her to take so much encouragement from him, since a lot of apostolic Christians deny that Catholics are even Christians at all. I guess it just depends on the circumstances.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Stop the fake whining about sources... I heard it on a radio news segment today... it's easily searchable.

Here's what we know about the meeting between kim davis and pope francis

Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Stop the fake whining about sources... I heard it on a radio news segment today... it's easily searchable.

Here's what we know about the meeting between kim davis and pope francis
Yes, today it is searchable... last night it was not. Only Breibart came up.

So, here is what happens when an atheist is shown new information that is factual.

I. Accept. That. The. Meeting. Took. Place.

Feel better?

We, of course, have a multitude of examples where fundies will never accept facts without weaseling and squirming, and obfuscating and denying.

New and better information is always welcome.

How do I feel about the meeting? It diminishes my respect for the Pope somewhat, however, on the preponderance of his actions, I still think he is a breath of fresh air.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Since I got on the topic, this was interesting from this article...

Statement from the Pope last year...
“The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage, by relativism, by the culture of the ephemeral, by a lack of openness to life,” Francis said during his apostolic visit to the Philippines last year. “These realities are increasingly under attack from powerful forces, which threaten to disfigure God’s plan for creation.”

Also from the article...
Davis’s attorneys at Liberty Counsel say the meeting was initiated by “Vatican Authorities”

“The Pope spoke in English,” she told Moynihan, according to his blog. “There was no interpreter. ‘Thank you for your courage,’ Pope Francis said to me. I said, ‘Thank you, Holy Father.’”

On the flight back from the United States on Sunday, Terry Moran from ABC News asked the pope on behalf of the English-language journalists on board whether he “supported those individuals, including government officials, who say they cannot in good conscience, their own personal conscience, abide by some laws or discharge their duties as government officials, for example in issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Do you support those kinds of claims of religious liberty?”

Francis replied, “I can’t have in mind all cases that can exist about conscience objection. But, yes, I can say the conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right.
It's interesting that we have this guy who has a lofty position - and people will make him out to be who they want him to be. He is a liberal if he says "A" - which is want some people want. He is conservative if he says "B" - which is what others want. The truth is he is probably somewhere in between the extremes like 85% of the people on the earth. He is a religious figure - so it is more than likely than he is somewhere leaning towards Davis on the whole marriage issue. That's where he probably is. We know where Davis is. Time to move on with life.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 09-30-2015 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How many threads on this exist right now?
Well, that depends on what you mean by the words "thread" and "exist" LOL

Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Yes, the libs are disappointed to learn the Pope is still Catholic. LOL

And why shouldn't he meet with her. She was put in jail for following her religious beliefs. That is a huge concern for the Pope. Didn't you hear him talk and talk about religious freedom while he was here and to the president? It won't take much time before Christians and others are put in prisons for following our consciences. It happened in other countries it can happen here and looks like it is happening.

Many times when secularism takes over it's the Churches that are persecuted. I don't know if gays want to see people go to jail for following their consciences and the bible but that is where we are at now, it seems. Go to prison, lose your business or pay a huge fine. That is where were are at.

The Pope told her to remain strong. He is everyone's shepherd, even Kim Davis's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity