Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2021, 06:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Here's the definition of "Love" from a few dictionaries:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/love

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/love

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...y/english/love

https://www.yourdictionary.com/love

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...y/english/love

I'm OK with using any of those definitions in their proper contexts.

The definition at "gotquestions," of course, is useless.

https://www.gotquestions.org/definition-of-love.html

Some of us are old enough to know that "Love means never having to say you're sorry" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_m...you%27re_sorry

No specific sexual activity is mentioned in any of the definitions.
OK? I can think of a few other words you've never cared to be explicit on the definitions of before. So why this?

You're closed-minded. Why are you limiting the definition of love to what you believe it is? If Mike wants to say something isn't loving, then in his opinion it isn't loving. You sh0ould take his word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 07:25 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
OK? I can think of a few other words you've never cared to be explicit on the definitions of before. So why this?

You're closed-minded. Why are you limiting the definition of love to what you believe it is? If Mike wants to say something isn't loving, then in his opinion it isn't loving. You sh0ould take his word for it.
What in the world made you think that I didn't think Mike believed what he said? You seem to read things into people's posts that simply aren't there. Why did you think I was limiting the definition of love? I simply posted a variety of dictionary definitions and did not add any of my personal beliefs. I wonder what in my post would lead anybody to think I'm closed-minded.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:29 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,320,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, you tell me. I've told you many times what I take from Romans 1:18-27. What IS the natural USE of the women ,,,THAT which is against nature? And, where would Paul have witnessed such things - or have been told of such things by others - unless there were PUBLIC exhibitions of those practices that Paul speaks of. Would such practices be going on in the privacy of one's home? No, of course not. Paul and others could not have known what they didn't know.

So, WHERE WERE these practices taking place that Paul and others DID know about? Well, it seems pretty clear from Romans 1:18-27 that Paul is speaking about idolatry. Perhaps these acts of idolatry, i.e. the worship of idols and the sexual rituals that were performed to these images made in the likeness of mortal man, birds, animals and reptiles, are what Paul is writing about. Perhaps 'those who once knew God' were attempting to so influence others to pagan worship by bringing these practices of idolatry into the early Christian Church. What do you think? Always read between the lines, Charlie.

Also consider other things Paul believed to be 'against nature' such as men sporting long hair which Paul would have considered 'feminine'. And, at least two things need to be considered when reading Paul's letters. 1. The culture of two thousand years ago in Paul's neck of the woods was far different to that of today in OUR culture and OUR neck of the woods. 2. The letters Paul wrote were specifically dealing with matters that concerned the recipients of those letters. They were NOT intended for we in 2021. Perhaps a #3 would be that Paul was no less a human being than we are and therefore had no divine authority to dictate who would and who would not 'inherit the kingdom of God.' It's only later Christians who decided that Paul receive the same status as Jesus.

Well, as previously stated, Paul is addressing matters concerning the Church of Rome. As far as I know probably the only idolatry practiced within the Modern Church is their having made an idol of the Bible which may have prompted a letter of concern from Paul back in the day. Another major religious organization DOES love its statues ...one statue, in particular, that they pray to, even though members would deny this. I'm not aware of the practice of sacred prostitutes in any of today's churches but I've a feeling that this would encourage membership if they did exist. So, Romans 1 may be an interesting read for some but it doesn't concern we of today at all. In fact, I don't know why its even raised in this particular thread.

I think you (and I) may have the wrong thread. So, I'll transport this to the right one.
I'm thinking Rom, that you are so far disconnected from the things of God, that reality escapes you!

Old 08-28-2021, 04:53 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I'm thinking Rom, that you are so far disconnected from the things of God, that reality escapes you!
And yet, all you offer are empty words, Charlie, while i attempt to offer explanations behind the words of scripture. So, how about YOU - as I have done - give an exegetical rundown of Romans 1:18-27 ...not on this thread but on the LGBTQ thread? Perhaps you can re-educate me as well as others on this controversial piece of scripture. What say?

Old 08-28-2021, 05:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You seem to read things into people's posts that simply aren't there. Why did you think I was limiting the definition of love? I simply posted a variety of dictionary definitions and did not add any of my personal beliefs. I wonder what in my post would lead anybody to think I'm closed-minded.
He does that believing it makes him sound more intelligent or on top of things, but it's usually a deliberate misrepresentation of what someone has said. There was nothing closed-minded in what you had written from what I had read. I believe that was more of a personal commit?

Old 08-28-2021, 07:43 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
The English language is inadequate in its catch-all use of the word “love†to describe many distinct ideas, emotions, actions, etc. Many other languages use different words to describe different kinds of what we just call “loveâ€.

Certainly two people can feel an intense attraction to each other that consists of loyalty and other things; even two people of the same sex.

But the pinnacle of “love†is sacrifice for the good of the other; not limited to the temporal good of this life, but to the eternal good.

Eros has a legitimate place within our overarching concept of “loveâ€, but it must be ordered properly if we truly “love†the other in a sacrificial sense that is oriented toward eternity rather than the here and now.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The English language is inadequate in its catch-all use of the word “love†to describe many distinct ideas, emotions, actions, etc. Many other languages use different words to describe different kinds of what we just call “loveâ€.

Certainly two people can feel an intense attraction to each other that consists of loyalty and other things; even two people of the same sex.

But the pinnacle of “love†is sacrifice for the good of the other; not limited to the temporal good of this life, but to the eternal good.

Eros has a legitimate place within our overarching concept of “loveâ€, but it must be ordered properly if we truly “love†the other in a sacrificial sense that is oriented toward eternity rather than the here and now.
It sounds like you have a problem with sex, if it is not for procreation. Nowhere does the Bible prohibit sex for pleasure. In fact, the Song of Solomon approves of sex for pleasure. It's an element of, and within a loving relationship. When age appropriate - no child molesters or anything that would cause injury or harm to another.

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-29-2021 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-29-2021, 02:24 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It sounds like you have a problem with sex, if it is not for procreation.
Nobody ought to concern themselves with whatever I *may* have a problem with. Everyone should be concerned with honoring God with their bodies and their sexuality.

Quote:
Nowhere does the Bible prohibit sex for pleasure.
I never suggested that sex for pleasure is morally prohibited.

Quote:
It's an element of, and within a loving relationship.
It can be.

Old 08-29-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you have a problem with sex, if it is not for procreation. Nowhere does the Bible prohibit sex for pleasure. In fact, the Song of Solomon approves of sex for pleasure. It's an element of, and within a loving relationship. When age appropriate - no child molesters or anything that would cause injury or harm to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Nobody ought to concern themselves with whatever I *may* have a problem with. Everyone should be concerned with honoring God with their bodies and their sexuality.

It can be.
But didn't you say that the Catholic Church formally decided that sex for the sole purpose of pleasure was not appropriate, insisting that every sexual encounter must be open to the possibility of pregnancy? Although, there is nothing about birth control, nor that infertile couples must not have sex in the Scriptures. In other words, it is strictly a Catholic thing or a matter of your own preference?

Old 08-30-2021, 02:15 AM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike

It can be.
Quote:
But didn't you say that the Catholic Church formally decided that sex for the sole purpose of pleasure was not appropriate, insisting that every sexual encounter must be open to the possibility of pregnancy?
Yes, Mike did say that. This is the kind of topic where even well-versed/well-meaning opponents may be prone to shooting themselves in the foot at times.

Quote:
Although, there is nothing about birth control, nor that infertile couples must not have sex in the Scriptures. In other words, it is strictly a Catholic thing or a matter of your own preference?
I think it might be more than implied in the Bible that the role of a woman was pretty much to breed and little else. It's also implied in scripture that a 'barren women' would have been stigmatized by many of the day and looked upon as 'not being a complete woman'. We really are talking about the culture and the times of a different society to that of ours but Christians can't seem to grasp this fact. ALTHOUGH, even today women (mainly women) may wonder why 'so and so' hasn't had a child yet and tongues start to wag. It's expected that a woman was designed to give birth and most women then as well as now have fulfilled that role. As for Intimacy ...it's a personal thing and one should not even think to dictate to someone else that they 'must do it this way'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity