Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,690,977 times

Advertisements

The part of the Pope's speech that really jumped out at me was when he warned about religious fundamentalism, religious extremism, looking at things through a black and white lens, and ideological extremism. That there should be a delicate balance.

I have a feeling that some posters here would completely disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The part of the Pope's speech that really jumped out at me was when he warned about religious fundamentalism, religious extremism, looking at things through a black and white lens, and ideological extremism. That there should be a delicate balance.

Not this one.

Religious fundamentalism is a disease that needs eradication.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not this one.

You sound pretty fundamental in your belief.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,792,518 times
If your righteousness does not exceed the Pope you will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You sound pretty fundamental in your belief.
Uh-huh.

I know my enemy.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,279,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not this one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Me either. What troutdude said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,732,717 times
Quote:

I think a balance should be struck between religious fundamentalism and secular totalitarianism. Both are destructive when carried to the extreme. The Catholic Church of the middle ages was an example of fundamentalism at its worst.

Materialism denies God, secularism simply ignores him; at least that was the earlier attitude. More recently, secularism has assumed a more militant attitude, assuming to take the place of the religion whose totalitarian bondage it onetime resisted. Twenty first century secularism tends to affirm that man does not need God. But beware! this godless philosophy of human society will lead only to unrest, animosity, unhappiness, war, and world-wide disaster. ~ The Urantia Book, 195:8.5

The inherent weakness of secularism is that it discards ethics and religion for politics and power. You simply cannot establish the brotherhood of men while ignoring or denying the fatherhood of God. ~ The Urantia Book, 195:8.1

Old 09-24-2015, 02:10 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:

Not me.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:11 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,690,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
If your righteousness does not exceed the Pope you will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.
Care to elaborate? In your own words?

Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,050,503 times
He said that the death penalty should be eliminated which is a liberal fundamental idea, and that abortion is still a sin where people need to repent which is a conservative idea................. I still believe that the majority of the democratic party would believe that abortion should be illegal if most people would agree , as there are no vote in the minority ............... So saying the pope is liberal on this and conservative on that , and is not right or left means that the world is corrupt ............................. Where the extremism is when people cuts people head off to appease God , which is religious fundamentalism , and not being politically bias to the government is not extremism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity