Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Pope does not pray for show. As the Vicar of Christ he simply delivers the message God wants delivered.
The Vespers service at St. Patrick's was beautiful. Pope Francis started with a spontaneous and very moving prayer for the Muslims who were killed today in the tragedy in Mecca.

I'd much rather hear the Pope pray from his heart then recite a prayer written as part of a speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Vespers service at St. Patrick's was beautiful. Pope Francis started with a spontaneous and very moving prayer for the Muslims who were killed today in the tragedy outside Mecca.

I'd much rather hear the Pope pray from his heart then recite a prayer written as part of a speech.
Written prayers are part of Catholicism.

Why throw away beautiful literature?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:

Where did I say I wanted to do that?

Did you watch the Vespers service? He prayed a wonderful, spontaneous prayer for people of a different faith who are dealing with a horrible tragedy.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Where did I say I wanted to do that?

Did you watch the Vespers service? He prayed a wonderful, spontaneous prayer for people of a different faith who are dealing with a horrible tragedy.
You are correct!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,933,779 times
I have no interest in what the AntiChrist says. He is completely against everything that revolves around basic simple Christian doctrine. Rome denies Salvation by faith alone, they deny that people can only be saved through faith in Jesus, and instead claim that people are saved by their good works. They have created a ton of false doctrines like the perpetual virginity of Mary. They teach people to pray to "the Saints" who are long dead and cannot hear them when the Bible commands that prayer and worship should be toward God alone. And it goes on and on.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I have no interest in what the AntiChrist says. He is completely against everything that revolves around basic simple Christian doctrine. Rome denies Salvation by faith alone, they deny that people can only be saved through faith in Jesus, and instead claim that people are saved by their good works. They have created a ton of false doctrines like the perpetual virginity of Mary. They teach people to pray to "the Saints" who are long dead and cannot hear them when the Bible commands that prayer and worship should be toward God alone. And it goes on and on.
Keep your head tucked under your biblical blankie, like the frightened little fundamentalist you are.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
How about narrowing it down to just what Jesus said?
Nope, that is a fantasy which doesn't do most any good in real life. And no one knows what happens afterwards, so let your imagination go wild.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,924,251 times
Quote:
The Pope does not pray for show. As the Vicar of Christ he simply delivers the message God wants delivered.
Ah, the Vicar of Christ. The Latin term for same, I believe, is VICARIVS FILII DEI which (in Roman numerals) spells out the number "666" every time!

Just joshing!

Or, am I . . .

Old 09-24-2015, 09:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,894,571 times
Quote:

Amen brother! As a Catholic I admit that our Pope's style used to throw me for a loop sometimes, but I always remember the prayer of St. Francis (which is one of the most beautiful prayers ever, imo), and it reminds me that this is what the Pope is all about. Like Pope St. John Paul II, Pope Francis is so inspiring, and he has represented Catholics well here in his U.S. trip. Just as he has asked us to do, I pray for him daily that God will continue to watch over him and bless him in his good work.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
So this pope is the anti Christ? What about the previous popes? How many anti Christs are there?

Catholics do not pray to saints.

I think you may misunderstand about works of the law, ceremonial works, faith without works...etc.

By the way I think basic Christian doctrine is Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. I think the pope gets that. Do You?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity