Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Divine Hatred, Divine Love |Blogs | NCRegister.com

"Most of us modern Christians congratulate ourselves that we’re tolerant and not judgmental. All that Old Testament brimstone is old hat. We’ve advanced and evolved. We’re more forgiving than our ancestors."

We aren't much different than our ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Huh? The article goes on about how we shouldn't excuse sin. We're too soft. We should be more like our OT ancestors, those guys who called for the blood of those who had done them wrong. " Kill them! Stone them! Revenge! An eye for an eye, a life for a life! May they be cursed!" When we DO act like that, it's a good thing.

... But then the author says we should hate the sin, not the sinner. And killing and stoning and cursing sinners is loving them, I guess?

Author needs to make up his mind.

There's nothing "divine" about hatred and a desire to see people punished for their sins.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Huh? The article goes on about how we shouldn't excuse sin. We're too soft. We should be more like our OT ancestors, those guys who called for the blood of those who had done them wrong. " Kill them! Stone them! Revenge! An eye for an eye, a life for a life! May they be cursed!" When we DO act like that, it's a good thing.
... But then the author says we should hate the sin, not the sinner. And killing and stoning and cursing sinners is loving them, I guess?
Author needs to make up his mind.
There's nothing "divine" about hatred and a desire to see people punished for their sins.
Absolutely correct, Pleroo. Divine love IS agape love which can NOT encompass ANY hatred. Look up the definition and read 1 Cor 13 for clarification. The would-be dictators among us (and they abound in religions) need to actually come to know God as Christ revealed Him unambiguously, instead of trying to pretend that the savage and barbaric beliefs about God of our primitive ancestors under the veil of ignorance over the OT were true. The merger of those ancient OT beliefs about God with Christ's Gospel is the most satanic of corruptions possible. It has wrought much evil through the millennia.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
You got that from the article? I think when a woman is dying and someone is urinating on them and taping it for youtube we should not feel agape love for them. That is what I got.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
While I know we're discussing love toward humans (which should have no hate), I do believe in divine hatred toward sin.

It's good to cultivate a deep, seething hatred for evil.

Romans 12:9 shows the dualism.

Prior to hating certain sinful behaviors, I used to do them often. Once I really let the hate flow, those actions became deeply offensive and far away. I hate them.

Likewise, when you love the good, you'll really love it. A kind act, a peaceful gesture.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absolutely correct, Pleroo. Divine love IS agape love which can NOT encompass ANY hatred. Look up the definition and read 1 Cor 13 for clarification. The would-be dictators among us (and they abound in religions) need to actually come to know God as Christ revealed Him unambiguously, instead of trying to pretend that the savage and barbaric beliefs about God of our primitive ancestors under the veil of ignorance over the OT were true. The merger of those ancient OT beliefs about God with Christ's Gospel is the most satanic of corruptions possible. It has wrought much evil through the millennia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
While I know we're discussing love toward humans (which should have no hate), I do believe in divine hatred toward sin.
Prior to hating certain sinful behaviors, I used to do them often. Once I really let the hate flow, those actions became deeply offensive and far away. I hate them.
Likewise, when you love the good, you'll really love it. A kind act, a peaceful gesture.
While I can relate to the very human origin of such hatred, Christ emphasized loving even our enemies. I have enormous difficulty doing that and I despise evil and cruelty and all its manifestations. But I believe the state of mind that our consciousness gets into when hating is so toxic to our embryo Spirit that it should be avoided at all costs, whatever the object of the hate might be. I admit to being a neophyte at it, however.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:52 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Or to see someone else "crucified" for their sins.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post

I find cultivating a deep desire for walking humbly, doing justly and being merciful works better........ it's just a matter of shifting the focus.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
While I can relate to the very human origin of such hatred, Christ emphasized loving even our enemies. I have enormous difficulty doing that and I despise evil and cruelty and all its manifestations. But I believe the state of mind that our consciousness gets into when hating is so toxic to our embryo Spirit that it should be avoided at all costs, whatever the object of the hate might be. I admit to being a neophyte at it, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Or to see someone else "crucified" for their sins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I find cultivating a deep desire for walking humbly, doing justly and being merciful works better........ it's just a matter of shifting the focus.

to all of the above.

Hate and the desire for vengeance or scapegoating is a human failing, not a "divine" attribute. Whatever is excellent or praiseworthy is "divine". Dwell on those things; don't dwell on hate.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 PM

45,581 posts, read 27,180,466 times
You guys seem almost like unfeeling droids.

If that female was a relative of mine and I saw someone urinating on her, I would be putting a stop to the evil immediately by punching his lights out.

It's evil. She could be getting CPR or some life saving help, and he is urinating on her. It's not hate for punching his lights out and putting a stop to the evil.

You can save his soul later... stop the evil while it is taking place.

Good Lord... someone is urinating on another person and you are having an academic discussion on loving the offender.

This is a new low around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity