Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 AM

709 posts, read 379,503 times

Advertisements

22. And when Jesus heard it, he said unto him, One thing thou lackest yet: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. 23. But when he heard these things, he became exceeding sorrowful; for he was very rich. 24. And Jesus seeing him said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 25. For it is easier for a camel to enter in through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (Luke 18:22-25)

Do not hold your extra possession, for your self, but use it for act's of mercy, for act's of righteousness, and follow our Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:48 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,440,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
22. And when Jesus heard it, he said unto him, One thing thou lackest yet: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. 23. But when he heard these things, he became exceeding sorrowful; for he was very rich. 24. And Jesus seeing him said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 25. For it is easier for a camel to enter in through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (Luke 18:22-25)

Do not hold your extra possession, for your self, but use it for act's of mercy, for act's of righteousness, and follow our Lord.

I'm wondering where you, personally, draw the line here as to what's "extra"?

Do you put money aside for, say, your children's education?
Do you put money aside in case of emergencies, health or otherwise?
Any put aside in case you're unemployed for a period of time?
Do you save any for old age and/or retirement?
What about vacations or entertainment?
Dates with your significant other?
Any money for gifts for loved ones who are as "rich" as you are?
And for the basics of food, shelter, transportation and clothing ... how basic are we talking?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM

I personally do not need much, but of course I weigh the situation always, so that I do not have to borrow money for my self.

And children if had, then I most like won't put them in the public school.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I personally do not need much, but of course I weigh the situation always, so that I do not have to borrow money for my self.

And children if had, then I most like won't put them in the public school.
So, it's subjective.

Interestingly, the passage you quote doesn't allow for any wiggle room that I can see. Sell ALL that you have and give all the money away.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:57 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,796,239 times
Was Jesus speaking of material things or something else since He did say one is justified by what one says, by words.

He did not say it is impossible for a wealthy man to enter the kingdom after all David was wealthy and Solomon as well. Abraham was also considered wealthy.

"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

"Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it."

Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Was Jesus speaking of material things or something else since He did say one is justified by what one says, by words.

He did not say it is impossible for a wealthy man to enter the kingdom after all David was wealthy and Solomon as well. Abraham was also considered wealthy.

"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

"Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it."
You are not honest to your self.

The first command is to love your neighbor, like our Lord has love us, selfies love.

I see that you heart is in your possession, and that's why God's word find no space on you.

You can't love mammon, and God.

And the prophets before our Lord.

39. And these all, having had witness borne to them through their faith, received not the promise, 40. God having provided some better thing concerning us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. (Heb 11:39-40)

See we live now in the time period, where the perfect way has been reveal, but you do not look at that perfect way, but in the time before that.

And why?

Just because you want to hold your perishable possession.

Last edited by Mikko Ainasoja; 06-08-2015 at 10:31 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, it's subjective.

Interestingly, the passage you quote doesn't allow for any wiggle room that I can see. Sell ALL that you have and give all the money away.
Give what you can, it is my advice.

The main reason for this exhortation is that you may cut loss from the hold of mammon, which corrupt you hearts now.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 PM

Your over-sized possession where your heart is now, is like a weed of your heart, which choke the growth of the seed, as your dreams for the wealthy life style, and all the needles stuff what your heart is after now, it choke the growth of the seed, and you may end up fruitless.

So use your extra part, for the act's of righteousness, being a servant of righteousness, instead of mammon.

9. And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends by means of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when it shall fail, they may receive you into the eternal tabernacles. 10. He that is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much: and he that is unrighteous in a very little is unrighteous also in much. 11. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12. And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? 13. No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Luke 16:9-13)

Old 06-09-2015, 12:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,479,556 times
Quote:
Your over-sized possession where your heart is now, is like a weed of your heart, which choke the growth of the seed, as your dreams for the wealthy life style, and all the needles stuff what your heart is after now, it choke the growth of the seed, and you may end up fruitless.

So use your extra part, for the act's of righteousness, being a servant of righteousness, instead of mammon.

9. And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends by means of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when it shall fail, they may receive you into the eternal tabernacles. 10. He that is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much: and he that is unrighteous in a very little is unrighteous also in much. 11. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12. And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? 13. No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Luke 16:9-13)
Jesus set an example.

he had a money box for the poor. He fed those he could but not at every event. He did wear a costly one piece garment.

Now he did have a home in Nazarous where his family Mother, brothers and sisters) lived as he would inherit from his father.

He showed we put the kingdom first and other things after that. So if money/work keeps you from being active in church and christian activities and in spending lots of time (not the stupid quality time thing) then you have put money and getting ahead financially ahead of the Kingdom.

ASV Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Each person decides and no one else can judge him. After all, even with the widows mite he did not condemn the rich man, he just praised the woman.

At one time they sold everything and lived together. That served a purpose at that time and then ... ended.

Balance with God's interests first in our life.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Give what you can, it is my advice.
If you're just giving your advice, why quote a bible passage that conflicts with your advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity