Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Agreed. It would sure be nice if it would, but in actuality, repentance is necessary on an almost daily basis. As mortals, we are pretty much guaranteed to mess up time and time again.

Well, if that's how I came across, it was not my intention.

I agree. My point wasn't that as soon as a person repeats a sin he has previously repented of, he is no longer a Christian. My point was that more is required of us than to simply profess a belief in Christ and assume that nothing more is expected of us.
I think the point is that God does not grant salvation BECAUSE you repent, rather we REPENT because of seeing God's love and grace shine into our hearts. It's not as if God is withholding grace - it is that people are not perceiving it or even perceiving how much they are in need of it. I think most of us sinners have a hard time even knowing how messed up we are spiritually. That is why it is called "being lost".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
[color="RoyalBlue"]I think the point is that God does not grant salvation BECAUSE you repent...
Well, maybe it's just me, but I believe that He doesn't grant salvation in the first place if we do nothing but profess our belief and do nothing to change our sinful behavior. After all, the psalm does say, that He is "nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." If you truly have a broken heart and a contrite spirit, you will be compelled by a desire to change.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I think the point is that God does not grant salvation BECAUSE you repent, rather we REPENT because of seeing God's love and grace shine into our hearts. It's not as if God is withholding grace - it is that people are not perceiving it or even perceiving how much they are in need of it. I think most of us sinners have a hard time even knowing how messed up we are spiritually. That is why it is called "being lost".
Amen, Heartsong!
Quote:
Well, maybe it's just me, but I believe that He doesn't grant salvation in the first place if we do nothing but profess our belief and do nothing to change our sinful behavior. After all, the psalm does say, that He is "nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." If you truly have a broken heart and a contrite spirit, you will be compelled by a desire to change.
IMO (ok Katz?) . . . Heartsong is right. Nothing about salvation is granted by God for anything WE do. We are saved because of what Jesus DID and we have nothing to do with it at all. Repentance is to change our mind, that means literally alter who we are spiritually and our relationship with the world and God. It is our state of mind that is important to God, and WE change that (or not).

Old 10-18-2015, 03:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
My question is--What did the thief on the cross next to Jesus "do" other than VERBALLY profess his belief?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My question is--What did the thief on the cross next to Jesus "do" other than VERBALLY profess his belief?
Hid did what he could, didn't he? He acknowledged that he was a sinner, for one thing. To me, he seemed remorseful. At that point, he really couldn't have done anything more. But it was a start. And we all have to start somewhere.

"The more we learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the more we realize that endings here in mortality are not endings at all."

Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Heartsong!
IMO (ok Katz?)
Much better, thank you.

Quote:
Heartsong is right. Nothing about salvation is granted by God for anything WE do. We are saved because of what Jesus DID and we have nothing to do with it at all.
Sure, if you're willing to settle for salvation, you don't need to do anything other than live and then die. If that's the case, you can just think of Jesus as your "get out of jail free" card. Because of what He did for us, none of us need to worry about eternal torment or a permanent death. I can go along with that.

The thing is, I don't believe that God sent His perfect and sinless Son to suffer and die for us just to get us back to where we were before the Fall. I think He wants to do more that see us justified. I think He wants to see us sanctified. When I think of salvation, it is always in conjunction with sanctification, since I believe this is God's will for us. Because I love Him, I want to do His will. I want to reach my full potential as His daughter. It is only through Jesus' sacrifice that this is possible, but it involves commitment on my part, too.

Quote:
Repentance is to change our mind, that means literally alter who we are spiritually and our relationship with the world and God. It is our state of mind that is important to God, and WE change that (or not).
Our change of mind is made manifest through the way in which we respond to God and to our fellow human beings.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:30 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Is accepting Jesus as your saviour, admitting to being a flawed being and asking him for help and accepting that he died for my sins being a Christian?
I'm transgender and intersex (having both male and female sexual characteristics) and in the process of transitioning my gender. I love heavy metal and punk rock and despise certain aspects of organized religion but do I need a church in my life to be a Christian or is it enough to accept him as my saviour and acknowledge that his blood washed my sins away and enable me to enter the Kingdom of Heaven upon my death?
Lately I feel like I'm on the edge of Revelation but I'm not sure what to do. Does God know and acknowledge that I am flawed and still love me enough, faults and all?
I would truly like some peoples thoughts on this matter. Thank you all.
First of all, we are all flawed. - 1st John 5:7
Christians are commanded to Not forsake gathering together - Hebrews 10:24-26

As far as entering heaven upon death - Revelation 20:6; 5:9-10 - that is reserved only for those who will be part of the first or earlier resurrection. Most, or the majority of mankind, will be resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth starting with Jesus' coming 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth. That is why the ' future tense ' is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection......."

What we are ' on the edge of ' is the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on earth - Matthew 25:31-32.
Humble ' sheep'-like people alive on earth can remain alive on earth, and continue living on earth right into the start of Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over earth. Then, there will be the healing of earth's nations - Revelation 22:2
Jesus will fulfill God's promise to Abraham that ALL families of earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefits and rewards of the healing of earth's nations. - Genesis 12:3; 22:18; Rev. 22:2
That means here on earth enemy death and sickness will be No more - 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; 33:24.
- Numbers 6:24-26 for you Wynternight

Old 10-18-2015, 05:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:

Well said HS, you explained it wonderfully in modern day language. It's the goodness of God that causes us to repent . Romans 2:4.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
What makes a Christian
There are many kinds of Christian. Cultural Chriatians are Christians because they were born in a Christian country and follow Christian traditions. There are also born again Christians who have a personal relationship with Christ and consider Him as their personal lord and saviour. There are also pseudo christians who claim to be christians, but make a sport out of tearing down people of faith.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-18-2015 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are many kinds of Christian. Cultural Chriatians are Christians because they were born in a Christian country and follow Christian traditions. There are also born again Christians who have a personal relationship with Christ and consider Him as their personal lord and saviour. There are also pseudo christians who claim to be christians, but make a sport out of tearing down people of faith.
The sadist thing i find is how those who have no religious upbringing end up fanatics of one of those many forms of christianity called ............. fundamental christianity, because it reaches parts of your inner being that once accepted will ruin you and everything you held dear and worse still you will be totally oblivious to it.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-18-2015 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity