Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 01:43 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
All the more reason to allow them to decide their affiliations as adults. It is entirely possible to follow the teachings of Jesus without a church to interpret his words.

Not when errors are present in translating. Since the Israelites became Gods chosen ones from Moses on up--God had 1 religion--it has not changed--there is 1 true religion on earth. And in Revelation--Jesus spoke to 7 different congregations of that one religion. It was not Catholicism, that popped up years later=2Thess 2:3--which in turn breeded a divided house that will not stand-Mark 3:24-26) The one true religion does this-1Cor 1:10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 01:50 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Not when errors are present in translating. Since the Israelites became Gods chosen ones from Moses on up--God had 1 religion--it has not changed--there is 1 true religion on earth. And in Revelation--Jesus spoke to 7 different congregations of that one religion. It was not Catholicism, that popped up years later=2Thess 2:3--which in turn breeded a divided house that will not stand-Mark 3:24-26) The one true religion does this-1Cor 1:10.

I have never had this issue. I stopped involving myself with parsing the minutia of faith.

My house has never been divided. If you believe your religion is the one and true. I am happy for you. Every religion believes the same.

The competition for the crown is silly.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My parents were both hardcore Christian fundamentalists, who tried to protect their children from the outside world. Unfortunately for them, their children eventually had to leave the nest and interact with the outside world.

All three of their children are now atheists/agnostics.

Just a fair warning to all the fundamentalist parents out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
Blaming your parents for your choices is not very MATURE of you now is it?
Claiming to be something and actually being it are NOT equivalent.
Wait. Freak didn't say in that post that he blames his parents for his no longer believing. Seems to me he was just saying that a fundamentalist Christian can "raise up your children in the way they should go" all they want, but there's no guarantee they will continue to believe what you believe.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is me exactly. My parents weren't religious in the slightest, but my grandparents went to church. I was extremely close with my grandparents and stayed with them on Saturdays all the time. We would always go to church on Sunday, and I would sit there quietly for an hour and play with little pads of paper and my grandma would slip me little candies or things every 10 minutes to keep me occupied. It was all very sweet and I felt very close to them. Once we left the church though I never once remember them talking about religion or God to me.

My parents had me go to bible school during the summer from around 4th through 6th grades. I actually remember it as one of the worst experiences of my young life. The kids were so mean and bullying. It was truly awful.

My parents did it though to at least give me a taste of religion and fully let me decide for myself if I wanted to pursue it, between going to church with my grandparents and then going to bible school. Even without the bullying and if the kids had been my best friends and I loved them - I instantly realized the actual content of the bible and the teachings were good for morals, but they are all entirely fiction. Following it in a literal sense was laughable. I understood the basis of inventing religions, to control groups of people, bind them together and to try and have a code of laws that people had to obey that they couldn't physically fight against. "Don't revolt against me, I didn't make the rules.....God did". It made sense back in the day.

I had absolutely no interest in any of it, I just liked hanging out with my grandparents. After I was in 7th grade or so I was given the choice and I've had nothing to do with religion since. I fully accept anyone else who believes in it, but don't get offended when I speak my OWN voice on the subject.

I grew up to be a very moral, understanding and caring adult. You certainly don't need religion to be a "good" person. If you think you do there's something flawed in your logic.
Well just because the kids at the bible school are in a christian environment does not mean they are christian. It the same at church. Just because someone is at church does not mean they are true christians. Anyway I did not have a positive experience at a church camp at one time when I was a child and was harassed. Even as an adult I have had experiences of harassment of people who claim to be Christians. I could go on about this as there are big examples of me of this. Yet as a Christian we need to forgive those that have done bad things to us. We are not to hate them.

I agree that you do not need religion to be a good person.

For me I do not follow religion, I have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ instead.

Even if you live a live as a good person and one a christian does not mean the person is saved or following the laws of the bible. You are not saved through works or doing good works. You are only saved through the grace of Jesus Christ. He only has the authority to forgive sins as we have all sinned and sin does separate us from the Lord.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:45 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
As my husband and I had very bad experiences of having the Christian religion, of the fundamentalist/Biblical literalist dogma, forced down our throats as children, we were determined our own kids would not be subjected to any pressure. As there is no evidence to support any religion it is up to the individual to decide for themselves. Our girls are Christians, one an Anglican Priest, fortunately they are not fundies/Biblical literalists which would be hard to take, but up to them of course.

Do other posters let their children decide for themselves?

I don't have children.
I have animals.

And I'm pretty sure they believe in the same God that I do.
I never had to force anything, though.
I think it just comes naturally for them.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:10 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
As my husband and I had very bad experiences of having the Christian religion, of the fundamentalist/Biblical literalist dogma, forced down our throats as children, we were determined our own kids would not be subjected to any pressure. As there is no evidence to support any religion it is up to the individual to decide for themselves. Our girls are Christians, one an Anglican Priest, fortunately they are not fundies/Biblical literalists which would be hard to take, but up to them of course.

Do other posters let their children decide for themselves?

No. I would never do that. I am certainly not a religious fundamentalist. Nor am I suggesting that you be one.

Not all religions "force things down people's throats. I have taught my children about the dangers of religious fundamentalism.

You are very fortunate that your daughters are Christian and that one is an Anglican priest. That is not the usual outcome to "letting children choose".

Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 PM

339 posts, read 195,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Wait. Freak didn't say in that post that he blames his parents for his no longer believing. Seems to me he was just saying that a fundamentalist Christian can "raise up your children in the way they should go" all they want, but there's no guarantee they will continue to believe what you believe.

The key word in the scripture is SHOULD, and if parents are living the way they SHOULD, then they can't teach their children how to. However sooner or later we all have to grow up and OWN our beliefs, not blame others, including our parents.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
The key word in the scripture is SHOULD, and if parents are living the way they SHOULD, then they can't teach their children how to. However sooner or later we all have to grow up and OWN our beliefs, not blame others, including our parents.
I highly doubt Freak gives his parents credit for him having escaped believing harmful fundamentalist doctrines.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 AM

689 posts, read 494,657 times
Quote:
Correct, but you do NEED Jesus and Eternal Life. Not recognizing that or accepting that results in not having it. End of story!
You have not one bit of evidence this is so, the Bible is NOT evidence!

Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 PM

339 posts, read 195,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I highly doubt Freak gives his parents credit for him having escaped believing harmful fundamentalist doctrines.
and I highly doubt he can't answer himself. pretty sure he understood even if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity