Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:07 PM

350 posts, read 572,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your first mistake is thinking God had anything at all to do with the bible.

And you go downhill from there.
I see people saying that a lot on these boards, but can you prove that the Bible is not God-breathed?

I admit that too may Christians make the Bible into an idol and hold it above all else, even God sometimes, but I would still argue that it is a tool that points to Christ, who in turn points to God. Or do you not agree with that, either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:35 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,943,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When my JW friend who had sort of cut ties with me after she became a JW told me that she was struggling financially, my husband and I gave her "a handout" (that we actually needed pretty badly ourselves at that time) to tide her over through the rough times, not a lecture on religion. And that was when I was a Christian fundy and desperately afraid for her eternal soul. She didn't seem to have a problem accepting it and, as a matter of fact, indicated that she deserved it because she served Jehovah. Guess we didn't do the right thing.

You are all missing the point-- Where as it is kind to give a handout--all that actually serve the real Jesus give the permanent fix as well. And one actually has to put those two things- FIRST- in their lives for the outcome to be a reality. This world is designed to seek money and pleasure above all other things.
I know many people with good hearts that do things like you did, the problem is they do not know Gods will on many other matters because they are not taught what Jesus actually taught.
I guarantee--every real servant of Jesus when giving the temporary fix to another, as well shows them the permanent fix along with it. How many on earth wouldn't have starved to death if knowing and applying one single teaching from Jesus.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,312,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
I see people saying that a lot on these boards, but can you prove that the Bible is not God-breathed?

I admit that too may Christians make the Bible into an idol and hold it above all else, even God sometimes, but I would still argue that it is a tool that points to Christ, who in turn points to God. Or do you not agree with that, either?
I do not.

A chickadee, or a blade of grass "points to God" more than anything in that book.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:38 PM

20,479 posts, read 12,873,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
As my husband and I had very bad experiences of having the Christian religion, of the fundamentalist/Biblical literalist dogma, forced down our throats as children, we were determined our own kids would not be subjected to any pressure. As there is no evidence to support any religion it is up to the individual to decide for themselves. Our girls are Christians, one an Anglican Priest, fortunately they are not fundies/Biblical literalists which would be hard to take, but up to them of course.

Do other posters let their children decide for themselves?
Children aren't mature enough to decide such things properly. We raised our children in our religion. When they moved out, they were free to decide on their own.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I do not.

A chickadee, or a blade of grass "points to God" more than anything in that book.
Clever

May I ask why you say that?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,964,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Children aren't mature enough to decide such things properly. We raised our children in our religion. When they moved out, they were free to decide on their own.
But your going to do your dandiest to indoctrinated them into your beliefs, right?

There are indoctrination regimes who learned from religions how to impact the young 'uns.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Clever

May I ask why you say that?
Because it's true.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Because it's true.
Ah, was hoping you'd open up a bit more, but that's ok.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Ah, was hoping you'd open up a bit more, but that's ok.
I don't need to open up. The truth is plain to some.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:20 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,638,724 times
Quote:
I agree, it is not enough to attempt to please God through works, good deeds, or any other means:

I have to ask, by what authority are you saved Ronkon? If it is not of Jesus, what better alternative is there?

As far as a narrow gate, Christ would disagree:
I do not attempt to please anyone except the mother needing diapers, cleaning products, and healthy fruits and vegetables for her children. There are plenty of young mothers with a spouse in Iraq and Afghanistan here. This nation has an embarrassment of riches and there are military families needing nutritional assistance.

Imagine losing your home in an unprecedented flood? Imagine having to source out your children to relatives while you scramble for affordable housing? Imagine losing your job at the same time, because the business was swept away along with your home?

I believe God agrees with my views, and if God did not agree with me? We would argue about it, and I would be correcting God. That is my authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity