Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If I read the OP correctly:

1) Insistence on secrecy
I didn't see anything like that in the OP. What made you think that?
Quote:
2) An insistence on what makes one a Christian.
You mean, like teaching the Bible? A church ought to be explaining how one becomes a Christian. I explain every single week what makes one a Christian. But I do not suggest that one must be a member of my church to be a Christian. In fact, I have even displayed a picture of me with 8 other pastors from the area when we all worked together to do a Billy Graham movie outreach in a local movie theater -- despite having some very different beliefs.
Quote:
3) Selectivity in who may or may not be invited.
Invited to what? To church? I don't believe I saw anything that suggests that they turned anyone away. The OP just didn't feel comfortable inviting others because she didn't feel it was welcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Must be a New Church or a new planter church , as the anointing of Christ is there ,................ as rebel church would be complaining about other church which they left and no place to be ........... but if they are not a rebel church then it is a Good place to be as Jesus would be there ...... Still nothing but the blood of Jesus as all grace come through the blood , which is Jesus judgment and God`s only judgment for man ........Don`t believe that than ask Jesus Holy Spirit

Old 10-20-2015, 08:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Biblical model of "church" is not necessarily to attract new people.
The apostles were less concerned with making church fun for the new guy as they were about
teaching the Christians that were already Christians.
Although they should certainly be welcoming to anyone new,
it's not the reason it exists.
Oh.

What is the Great Commission exactly, you would be the person to ask. Thanks.

Nice to have my pain since Feb 2013 be healed...why do I not sound more overjoyed?
I dunno, I'm just quietly grateful this time. Getting used to these 'miracles'.

I'll just tell someone what to expect. It'll be fine...not up to me anyway.

Not a rebel church...a graduate of a local Bible College going out on his own
as he was taught...being a 'leader'.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh.

What is the Great Commission exactly, you would be the person to ask. Thanks.

Nice to have my pain since Feb 2013 be healed...why do I not sound more overjoyed?
I dunno, I'm just quietly grateful this time. Getting used to these 'miracles'.

I'll just tell someone what to expect. It'll be fine...not up to me anyway.

Not a rebel church...a graduate of a local Bible College going out on his own
as he was taught...being a 'leader'.
Matthew 28:18-20 is the Great Commission --go forth and make disciples. But read the NT letters about church....such as 1 Corinthians. He is clear that church is where Christians gather to worship God together. He even says that visitors should be welcomed, but he doesn't say to conduct the worship service in order to entertain them. They are welcome to come in and observe or participate, but we don't plan the service FOR them.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:45 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,921,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I met a woman in a line and she told me about a pastor that she likes and on and on.
So I went Sunday 10 am - NOON!...long service.
A starter up church maybe 35 people there, food heating for 150.

Main question:
-I can't give their brochure to anyone I know, tho.
Should I somehow tell the pastor that? Why?
The language is for active Christians only...like a private club.
(I don't need to give examples.)

It seems to be common that they are so involved in that life that they forget
there are people that have never opened or own a Bible.

-How can I bring a new person there? Also, they would be overwhelmed not understanding
the excessive use of the word 'blood'...
a turn off for secular people... bloodbloodbloodblood....whoa.
(It didn't bother me...but almost anything can be excessive; this was.)

YET, I am completely healed of an issue.

-Why would I want others to attend, you ask?
Because they are actively doing healings after the service.

What do ya think?

Gods true teachers get this deep into each ones heart to live by daily= John 4:22-24

Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
As a certified interim and church turn around minister, this church is making a few mistakes. A weekly bulletin, church ad ... really anything printed and distributed should ALWAYS be written in a language and format for a first time visitor. If not you run the risk of turning off those who don't understand. It makes your church seem like an insider club, not open and welcome to all.

Save the insider language, aka Christian speak, for the sermon.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Biblical model of "church" is not necessarily to attract new people. The apostles were less concerned with making church fun for the new guy as they were about teaching the Christians that were already Christians. Although they should certainly be welcoming to anyone new, it's not the reason it exists.
If it is not to much of an inconvenience, can you provide chapter and verse that takes the FUN out of fundamental?

Old 10-24-2015, 07:36 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You can ask the pastor if he's aware the language in the brochure may be confusing for newbies. See what he says.
Good luck with that. In my experience, thanks to the Internet, most people now think they can write. Despite the fact they don't know how to write for a target audience, have a ... fluid grasp of grammar and construction, and couldn't edit for clarity and brevity to save their lives.

Particularly in a small, loosely structured volunteer organization, when someone sits down to write any sort of brochure they are more interested in their own stream of consciousness and their own enthusiasms than they are in actually connecting with the likely reader. In other words it's all about them, or at best, all about the group. It's almost never about the inquirer and their needs or interests. And as Viz points out, this indifference is largely considered a virtue, because there's an implicit assumption that outsiders are addicted to sin and licentiousness and have to reach some desperate personal bottom to even consider joining the in group. They are content to let god sort it out.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Good luck with that. In my experience, thanks to the Internet, most people now think they can write. Despite the fact they don't know how to write for a target audience, have a ... fluid grasp of grammar and construction, and couldn't edit for clarity and brevity to save their lives.

Particularly in a small, loosely structured volunteer organization, when someone sits down to write any sort of brochure they are more interested in their own stream of consciousness and their own enthusiasms than they are in actually connecting with the likely reader. In other words it's all about them, or at best, all about the group. It's almost never about the inquirer and their needs or interests. And as Viz points out, this indifference is largely considered a virtue, because there's an implicit assumption that outsiders are addicted to sin and licentiousness and have to reach some desperate personal bottom to even consider joining the in group. They are content to let god sort it out.
Good points, Mordant.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If it is not to much of an inconvenience, can you provide chapter and verse that takes the FUN out of fundamental?
I'd encourage you to read Pauls letters such as Ephesians, Galatians, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus. There is some good info there on what the church should look like and teach. Then 1 Cor, particularly chapter 14 talks about how it should be about worshiping God, not just entertaining. No, nowhere does it say that church should be painfully boring, but we do church for God, with a focus on worshiping him--not as an outreach to the lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity