Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wonder if Boniface will ever make the list of Top 100 Baby Boy Names.
If only!

I don't know what I was doing not considering that one for any of my kids.

I DID consider Nicodemus but my sister told me if I named my son that he'd get beaten up on the playground every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:08 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't understand this as God made a sacrifice of his own child. So obviously, such a thing did come into God's heart.
God sent the sinless pre-human Jesus to earth.
Jesus could have walked away any time he wanted.
Jesus on his own chose to sacrifice, or give up his own life for us, out of his own free-will choice.
Those pagan peoples were burning their children alive. Those children had No choice in the matter. Jesus did.
God never authorized anyone to do such a thing - Jeremiah 32:35; 2nd Chronicles 28:3; Deuteronomy 18:10; 12:31 B
Jesus gave up his sinless earthly life as a ' ransom ' price for us - Matthew 20:28
Adam sold us, so to speak, into the Pawn Shop of Death.
We needed someone from the outside to pay over the asking price to free us from death.
Because Jesus was sinless he could, and his faithful death opened up the way for the resurrection for us - Rev. 1:18

Old 12-15-2015, 03:39 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't think anybody's worshiping these trees or sacrificing them to Santa Claus, LOL.

I have lived on this earth 48 years and I have yet to walk into a friend's house, yell "Surprise!" and catch them wide-eyed and guilty-looking assembled underneath the Christmas tree in deep prayer over a trussed virgin.

I think it's pretty well beyond dispute that "pagans" (by Christian definition) brought greens, including trees, into their homes as a reminder of life continuing during winter before Jesus was ever born - since he was only born a little over 2000 years ago. As far as "stealing," I don't think anybody "stole" the idea from anyone else, I think it's a basic idea that any culture which experiences a cold winter will rely upon to sort of magnetically pull abundance via magic, etc. Obviously, bringing evergreens into the home was a distinctly European tradition and the traditions blended over time...as traditions do. So as a non-Christian I don't have a negative outlook on Christians having maintained this tradition post-conversion. It's like me wanting to make a cake for my kids' birthdays. If my city were suddenly taken over in warfare and a new religion and way of life were "required" I doubt I'd stop making a cake for my kids' birthdays.

So IMO this one is a no harm, no foul. The history really is fascinating (IMO) but I can't see why various groups can't enjoy the same tradition.
The "trussed virgin" thing made me laugh.

Just relax and enjoy, everyone! I LOVE the "Pagan" parts of Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity