Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:08 PM

15 posts, read 48,554 times

Advertisements

It seems as though in many posts and replys that most people seem to think that when Jesus declared the most important command to love your God with all heart, and the second most important to be love your neighbor as yourself that he watered down the commandments making them easier for us to obey.

Does everyone see that all he did was sum up all ten commandments in two? The first four tell you how to love God and the last six how to love your neighbor. Does this summary of the commandments of God make of less imortance any one of the specific laws? Of course not. Can we say that we love our neighbor if we don't kill him, but we steal from him? And likewise we can we say that we love God if we don't take his name in vain but choose to disregard his sabbath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic33 View Post
It seems as though in many posts and replys that most people seem to think that when Jesus declared the most important command to love your God with all heart, and the second most important to be love your neighbor as yourself that he watered down the commandments making them easier for us to obey.

Does everyone see that all he did was sum up all ten commandments in two? The first four tell you how to love God and the last six how to love your neighbor. Does this summary of the commandments of God make of less imortance any one of the specific laws? Of course not. Can we say that we love our neighbor if we don't kill him, but we steal from him? And likewise we can we say that we love God if we don't take his name in vain but choose to disregard his sabbath?
Can anybody really say in their heart of hearts that they keep all of the laws?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic33 View Post

You are right. I wonder though if what Jesus was telling us was that at the core of each choice and action there must be love and not just a desire to do right, to feel right.
Our actions must be informed by love rather than by fear or wanting to be better than others. Isn't this after all the Good News that Jesus came to tell us?

St. Agustine(I know not everybody is into Saints, but sometimes we can learn something from people who walked the path before us) said:
"Love and do what you like"!!!!
If at the centre of our actions and interactions with the world and with God there is love, than the choices we make will be made in the light of such love.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times
This was in the sin thread and is appropriate here too.

Now I am not sure if you have ever noticed, the way Jesus summarized the Law is nowhere to be found in the 10 anywhere. Makes one think eh?

Look it up Exodus 20 or Deuteronomy 5 then compare it to:

Mat 22:37 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Nowhere in the 10 commandments does it say we are to love our neighbor as ourselves, in fact even the first one is paraphrased. Nowhere in the 10 does it indicate love of ourselves.

The 2nd one actually comes from

Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

I do not dispute the OP that it can be summarized as offered but again, the Sabbath is one few actually keep, the real Sabbath. I mentioned elsewhere that in most cultures there is 1/7 days of rest, we are not designed to work 8/7/365

Paul also emphasises Love in 1 Cor 13.

To me the way Jesus summed it up, was in fact a "new" law, the things that count, Love, agapaō for God and agapē towards others. Strongs defs. are not very good, I would say both are unconditional.

Blessings

Old 02-04-2008, 07:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,855 times
The OT referents are about don't's. Don't do this, don't do that. Christ's arrival on earth gave us the way by applied faith. You can maintain all the commandments of the OT and still miss the boat. That was the Pharisee's mistake. You can go the Saducee's way, and think it was about mysticism. The admonition Christ gave is for spirit and truth. This is why it was difficult for the rich man to follow him. Christ was the stone of offense that became the cornerstone for the church. There was a higher order to his messages that continue to take supplicants to higher levels. 'Be perfect' is our goal.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
If we are talking about the laws of the ot, no I do not keep them..Concerning the 10 commandments , yes I do keep them because if we keep the commandments Christ gave us in Matther 22 as Seeker posted, you will keep the other commandments..IMO if you have love you will keep the commandments as Christ said with no thought about is it breaking a commandment or not

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
........why not?

Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
........why not?
because if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves, and there is no truth within us.

No one has kept the entirety of the law accept Christ. Breaking the law includes not just action, but our thoughts as well. But the easier thing for us to do with Christ, is to focus on the first 2. Love God and Love others. Fortunately, these first two can sometimes be the hardest to keep as we are often thrown into the storms of life in which we are commanded by God to still Love, even though we may still experience much adversity.

How do we keep loving, despite what our sinful feelings may whisper to us? The only way to go about doing this is through intervention of the Holy Spirit. We don't have the capacity to Love that way, and will quickly succomb to the feelings if we don't have the Holy Spirit working with us. I know this from my own walk, as the times when I went on my own self will -I found myself quickly going back to my old habits. Though we may be tested at times, the spirit of the Lord will keep us from sinning. Gradually, the old man will die, and the New man in Christ will live.

Grace,

Stephen

Old 09-20-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Default 10 commandments

Hello my dear Christian friends. I know that you all confused about the ten commandments and new commandments. Jesus come to this world not to demolish the 10 commandments but to uphold it. In fact he was not only summed it up he even added many important thing in to it.
Love your God with all your heart. (eg. Jesus took 1-4 commandments from 10 commandments and added many others commandments like baptism, baptizing people in the name of Father the son and hold spirit, ending the prayer with his name, let others know about him, be the missionary, holy communion and many others). If you love God with all your heart you will do every things he asked.

Love others as you love your shelf. ( Jesus took no. 6-10 commandments from the 10 commandments and added many of his own . eg..help broken hearted and needy people, give one cloth to poor if your have 2, do not judge others, treat other the way you want to be treated, if some slap one side of your face turn to the other side and many others) if you love other as you love your self you will do good to them.

Jesus commandment is the combination old and new commandments. We have to uphold both of them we can not abandon any of this. As Jesus followed his father commandments we have to follow Jesus commandments. 10 commandments is the core and foundation of Jesus command men's.

This is just a rough one. I can make a complete one if requested. I wish this is clear for all of you.
thanks

Old 09-20-2015, 01:45 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
If we are talking about the laws of the ot, no I do not keep them..Concerning the 10 commandments , yes I do keep them because if we keep the commandments Christ gave us in Matther 22 as Seeker posted, you will keep the other commandments..IMO if you have love you will keep the commandments as Christ said with no thought about is it breaking a commandment or not
Well said, Miss Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity