Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You've been pretty clear that you hate the idea of a God that would judge someone and send them to hell.

But enough of this stuff....it's not helping this thread to continue to go back and forth on it. We'll have to agree to disagree.
So you cannot give an example from the scriptures where someone displayed hatred towards God other than the fundies of Jesus' day?. It is laughable how fundamentalists claim they only believe what is in the bible, it is simply not true, not only do you not believe what is in there, you believe what is not in there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you cannot give an example from the scriptures where someone displayed hatred towards God other than the fundies of Jesus' day?. It is laughable how fundamentalists claim they only believe what is in the bible, it is simply not true, not only do you not believe what is in there, you believe what is not in there too.
Shall I quote chapter and verse? Would you actually believe it if I did?

Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
An example of someone other than a fundy hating upon God ? Yes please.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Not only would he not believe it, he would ask you to quote it again tomorrow saying you never quoted it.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not only would he not believe it, he would ask you to quote it again tomorrow saying you never quoted it.
You have a lot to say about me but nothing to me. I am waiting patiently while he racks his fundy brain to come up with something, maybe you should help him out rather than making it about me.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think the whole heaven/hell thing serves the purpose of people believing that eventually, the score will be settled, but obviously in their favor.

In other words, SOME DAY they - the "good" people (in their definition) - will get huuuuuuuuuge reward for having suffered so much, while the "bad" people who hurt them, or who had everything the "good" person in life wanted but could never have, will get plunged straight into hell - ah, sweet revenge.

I really think this is the basis right here. For many religions that believe in reward/punishment, I'm not just talking about Christianity here.

Of course eventually a few logical people began wondering about their own failings in life or perhaps screwed up in just the way they assumed someone else who had screwed up would go to hell so that's where the whole "savior" thing came in. And they want to believe - indeed, have to believe that the "bad" people - people who somehow hurt them, or people they are incredibly jealous of - don't have this "secret knowledge," which is where the "false Christian!" finger-pointing thing comes in.

And on and on it goes, just a constant "I'm in the lead and will get a reward and anyone I don't like will definitely go to hell" apologetics scramble.

Because any other possibility is literally unbearable.
Very insightful and very correct. It is comeuppance, schadenfreude, whatever you want to call it ... everyone feels life is unfair and god acknowledged that and promises to make it fair one fine day if you follow him. Believe without (or even contrary to) evidence, hope against hope, and above all, suffer patiently, smug in the knowledge that one day you will finally be rewarded for doing the right thing and everyone who laughed at you (or merely didn't buy into your beliefs) will be singing a different tune. For ever. And ever.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I would truthfully estimate the real number will be less than 10%.
A conservative estimate of 3-7%, while 85% are pew warmers; and 8-12%, are wolves in wool garments.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:22 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A conservative estimate of 3-7%, while 85% are pew warmers; and 8-12%, are wolves in wool garments.
Is there an overlap there? Between the pew warmers and the wolves in wool garments?

Because I mean wool garments keep things pretty warm.

I think the numbers may need to be reworked in light of this revelation.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Enjoy your special status while you can, I guess --
if such a thing as knowing that 99% of your fellow human beings are
destined for such an unimaginably horrific fate doesn't tarnish your joy
about being special, you are not as saved as you think you are.
Great response....my mouth was too dropped to write anything...

Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 PM

18,516 posts, read 9,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Very insightful and very correct. It is comeuppance, schadenfreude, whatever you want to call it ... everyone feels life is unfair and god acknowledged that and promises to make it fair one fine day if you follow him. Believe without (or even contrary to) evidence, hope against hope, and above all, suffer patiently, smug in the knowledge that one day you will finally be rewarded for doing the right thing and everyone who laughed at you (or merely didn't buy into your beliefs) will be singing a different tune. For ever. And ever.
Yes, that psychology is widespread in Christian fundamentalism. There's plenty of it in the Bible too. The entire book of Revelation is one big vengeance fest.

And belief in "eventual justice" allows for the world's bullies and sociopaths to have their way with the masses in the here and now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity