Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,788,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
At least Peter was not bold enough to tell Jesus what His purpose is. Did you skip over 16:21? Jesus specifically spelled out what was to come.

Who do I follow... since you know?

Who do you follow? It definitely is not Christ when you start making claims that His purpose was not about His death.

Mark 10:45 - "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
I am surprised that you do not know the person you claim to follow said He came to spread the word of God, the good news and the truth.

By the way the life He gives is as He said, the word of God. That is what ransoms an individual, if they use it and follow Him.

The son of man says;

"The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify the truth."

"I must go to the surrounding cities and proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God (the word of God)for this is why I was sent."

"I came so my sheep would have life (the word of God)".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
False choice, it is both. They are inseparable.
Ah, yes, but what I see is the idea that we should first turn these people into "good Christians" and then we can be concerned about their physical well-being partly because they will them be a part of the greater "Israel" that we are concerned about regardless of whether they are Christian, because they are "God's chosen people."

This in despite of the last few verses of the "Sermon on the Mount" which indicates that the Father loves everyone regardless of their relationship to Him and that we should "be perfect" in that regard too. I'm sure that is converted to concern only for their "spiritual well being" rather than the whole concern for the person undivided.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:03 PM

589 posts, read 331,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Notice that the "spiritual meaning" side uses the word "gospel" rather than "good news" to give a little twist to the meaning by the association of the word with the narratives of the life of Christ.

What we have is essentially an excuse from actually demonstrating in the physical world the love that we are expected to share because of our knowledge of the love of God.

"Hey, if you pray for them and tell them about their heavenly reward, that's what it is about!"

14What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 15If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. James 2

Drat! it's that doggone James showing us up again. Somebody ought to take that book out of the Bible!
Yup faith without works is dead. WE are saved to do good works because we are saved and the holy spirit leads us to do so.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
Yup faith without works is dead. WE are saved to do good works because we are saved and the holy spirit leads us to do so.
Well, the son of man says; "He who believes in me shall do the works I do and far greater than these."

Old 01-22-2016, 05:48 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
What leads the atheists to do good works?

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
An atheist cannot do good works.

Only god is good.

It's impossible for man to be saved but everything is possible for god.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:26 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He was being obedient.

Philippians 2:8 - Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

John 14:31 - but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me.
Let's see, the Lord's Prayer, taught to Jesus' disciples at their request, goes like this???

MY Father, which art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give ME this day, MY daily bread. And forgive ME MY trespasses as I forgive those who trespass against ME. Lead ME not into temptation, but deliver ME evil-----etc.

How is there not a social gospel when He evev taught us to pray corporately?

Jesus did both the " evangelistic " preaching AND the social gospel. When people came to to Him He fed them food. When there was not enough He created more. He forgave sins individually and provided healthcare liberally when the lines were long.

I'm not sure why anyone who studies Jesus Christ could ever come to the concluaion that He taught either/or. He met people as individuals and healed them, and had time to provide a goodly amount of wine for large parties.

He spoke about allowing His disciples to eat on a Sabbath yet found time to tell Nicodemus, " YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN." why is someone always trying to put Jeaua in a box? I can only think of one reason---to justify themselves that they are doing the superior service to God.

How shameful!!!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 01-23-2016 at 12:41 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Well, the son of man says; "He who believes in me shall do the works I do and far greater than these."
Amen!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 AM

To answer the original question, I believe Jesus message was spiritual deliverance.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Their heart. Just not always or all atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity