Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I thought he meant DEPENDING and RELYING on the bible?
So, you understood him saying that your faith is weak if you rely on the Bible.

There are plenty of people who find the Bible reliable, but how that should translate to them having weak faith is beyond me.

I think it is best to refrain from judging other peoples faith based on such weak argument.

Jesus and the Bible teaches to not judge, but maybe that is one of those things the 'spirit' tells some people to ignore.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-24-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think it is best to refrain from judging other peoples faith based on such weak argument.
Jesus and the Bible teaches to not judge, but maybe that is one of those things the 'spirit' tells some people to ignore.
We should refrain from judging other people, period! As pcamps reminds us:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What you fail to see peace giver which is also your undoing, is the word is sent to judge our self and not to judge the world unrighteously.
When you judge others, you assume the mantle of God and presume to have His ability to judge. I would not feel comfortable facing Him after such presumptuousness.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:18 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,748,132 times
Quote:
So, you understood him saying that your faith is weak if you rely on the Bible.

There are plenty of people who find the Bible reliable, but how that should translate to them having weak faith is beyond me.

I understand Him to be saying to the greatest biblliolators of every age (like those Pharisees) that Bible understanding is nonsense without the Spirit of God to guide one about loving people. That is why He called His Bible worshipers "vipers." They took the worst writings in Scripture to justify their ugliness toward their fellow human beings.

The Bible may judge me. I don't give a hoot if it does. I'm concerned about judgment by the Spirit.

You apparently are not. No judging of you, just reading your posts.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:50 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
I am praying that God raises up an army of Warden's . Then true Christianity will survive being overcome by bible fundamentalism and the illusion of the wounded beast it represents.

You have truly made the devil one hell of an annoyed beast Bro.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times
Quote:
If you want to speak for me, the floor is yours.

When you say people choose one instead of the other, then obviously you see it as choice where you have to choose one or the other.
Yes, Finn, it IS one AUTHORITY or the other. That does not mean that the Bible is not a useful tool FOR the Spirit when the Spirit guides......AS promised in the Bible.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, Finn, it IS one AUTHORITY or the other. That does not mean that the Bible is not a useful tool FOR the Spirit when the Spirit guides......AS promised in the Bible.
Actually you said they choose words written in ink, instead of the Spirit, which that suggests they pick one and toss the other. However, it is not what Christians do. You need to read the book and allow the Spirit guide you to understand it.

The same things Jesus told His disciples face to face, are the same the Spirit says, and that are written in ink. Since they say the same thing, you cannot toss one, without tossing them all.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times
Quote:
Actually you said they choose words written in ink, instead of the Spirit, which that suggests they pick one and toss the other. However, it is not what Christians do. You need to read the book and allow the Spirit guide you to understand it.

The same things Jesus told His disciples face to face, are the same the Spirit says, and that are written in ink. Since they say the same thing, you cannot toss one, without tossing them all.
So you SAY, but you also say that the Spirit will not guide you to anything that is contrary to the Bible and THAT attitude puts the Bible in the position of authority. The beginning of the Sola Scriptura error was a reaction to the Roman Catholic assertion of Church authority, guided by the Spirit, of course. The reformers could see that the fruit of the Spirit was NOT evident in much of what that denomination promulgated, just as people can see that the fruit of the Spirit is not present in much that people who claim to be "Bible believers" promulgate.

Strangely enough, neither side seems to use that simple tool to verify the guidance of the Spirit in their own doctrines.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So you SAY, but you also say that the Spirit will not guide you to anything that is contrary to the Bible and THAT attitude puts the Bible in the position of authority.
How does them saying the same thing put one above the other? One is simply a written version of the other.

I get it. You don't agree with the Bible, so you dismiss the inconvenient parts and you declare the spirit told you to do so. I have heard it before. A third person might declare that his spirit told him something which disagrees with the bible and your view, and a fourth person says his spirit disagrees with all of the above, and on to goes.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,455,848 times
There must be a law that says: Thou shall not reason, or thinketh for thyself.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There must be a law that says: Thou shall not reason, or thinketh for thyself.
God has given us free will, so you are free to make your religion, or you can just go with 'reason' and 'logic'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity