Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 PM

64,055 posts, read 40,345,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When you say that the Spirit MUST be the same as the words "written in ink," you are making the words the "authority" NOT the Spirit, because they are NOT always compatible. We take everything that has been said and demonstrated about the Spirit (who IS God) and say that everything must be compatible with the Spirit or it is not true. What about that do you NOT understand????
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is everything Jesus is quoted as saying in agreement with the spirit?
If it is NOT, then Jesus did NOT say it. This is what Bible literalists refuse to understnad. There were lying Scribes, false teachers, false prophets and myriad and sundry other forces operating on the early Christians and ultimately on the compilation of the Bible. They affected what was considered canon and what was not. There were alterations by those who were charged ONLY with copying, but that did not seem to stop them. What you have to ask yourself, jimmie, is it credible that so many men with so many different agendas over so many centuries were somehow prevented from corrupting what Jesus actually taught and said??? I know you believe that God COULD magically do this. But given the contradictions and inconsistencies in the morality displayed by God and that taught and demonstrated by Jesus, you need to ask yourself what is the evidence that He actually DID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,405,224 times
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Notice, no mention of the bible).

Seek the Lord he can be found
He's closer than you think
He's hid his word within your heart
This truth will set you free.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM

589 posts, read 332,913 times
Quote:
If it is NOT, then Jesus did NOT say it. This is what Bible literalists refuse to understnad. There were lying Scribes, false teachers, false prophets and myriad and sundry other forces operating on the early Christians and ultimately on the compilation of the Bible. They affected what was considered canon and what was not. There were alterations by those who were charged ONLY with copying, but that did not seem to stop them. What you have to ask yourself, jimmie, is it credible that so many men with so many different agendas over so many centuries were somehow prevented from corrupting what Jesus actually taught and said??? I know you believe that God COULD magically do this. But given the contradictions and inconsistencies in the morality displayed by God and that taught and demonstrated by Jesus, you need to ask yourself what is the evidence that He actually DID.
I agree with this post as well as the previous statement by Mystic phd. If it doesn't agree with the spirit in the gospels, then Jesus DID NOT say it in the gospels. It was an enemy.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:59 PM

20,461 posts, read 12,856,127 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
I agree with this post as well as the previous statement by Mystic phd. If it doesn't agree with the spirit in the gospels, then Jesus DID NOT say it in the gospels. It was an enemy.
I love to see an example or two.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 PM

Sure. Calling his disciples hypocrites with a plank in their eye and evildoers. This is NOT Jesus, this does not line up with the spirit of God at all.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Sure. Calling his disciples hypocrites with a plank in their eye and evildoers. This is NOT Jesus, this does not line up with the spirit of God at all.
Can you give a scripture reference? That would help.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:17 PM

It's in the book of matthew. Not sure exactly what verse or chapter it's in but it is in my brain.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Can you give a scripture reference? That would help.
Quote:
It's in the book of matthew. Not sure exactly what verse or chapter it's in but it is in my brain.
If you figure it out, let me know. In the meantime, I'll continue to wait for an example.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:33 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,971,823 times
Quote:
Is everything Jesus is quoted as saying in agreement with the spirit?
Off hand I don't know. With the exception of John's "Revelation" I would tend to think so, assuming that you are speaking of characteristics of the Spirit.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,796,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not at all, those words are being used from YOUR bible to prove a point to you. I do not need the bible to know that the attributes of God are all that could be considered lovely. You do, so this suggest Christ is not alive in you. Otherwise you would know without having to open your bible.
The Christ is the truth ,the word of God. If the word of God is in you then the Father and son are in you. That is the spirit in you because Jesus said the words He spoke are spirit and life. You say you follow Him but in reality you follow your own theology.

"If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it shall be done for you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity