Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,119,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Everyone wants to return to the "good ole days" when people were cozy, children were beaten and not seen and women knew their place in the kitchen--all conveniently supported by some biblical law.
Who would you trust to enforce biblical law today?

Would it be the "church?"

Or a council?

A trusted modern day prophet?
You are right- things are so much better today. Crime has skyrocketed, young people have no respect, and there is no such thing as personal responsiblity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Do you think Jesus Christ would want His laws enacted on America? Hey - He did this already with the people of Israel on the OT. Is He a bigot?
And the point is that He didn't. The major point of having a "New Covenant" is that the Old one was temporary, set up to make progress in the perceptions of men who had been going on the concept of appeasing God's whims without real direction. Laws were given, but it was left until the time of Jesus to establish the principle that was supposed to animate flawed laws. Law in itself was and is a massive failure without that principle.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:36 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,627,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You are right- things are so much better today. Crime has skyrocketed, young people have no respect, and there is no such thing as personal responsiblity.
I know lots of young people. They do not commit crimes. They are respectful. They are very responsible. They are making their way. They are in school. They are entrepreneurs. They are social activists. They are volunteers.

Do you know any young people?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I know lots of young people. They do not commit crimes. They are respectful. They are very responsible. They are making their way. They are in school. They are entrepreneurs. They are social activists. They are volunteers.

Do you know any young people?
To be fair, we have seen more rioting and public protesting in this country in the past 6-7 years or so than we saw in the past 2 decades. We've seen police officers targeted and killed.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM

689 posts, read 550,816 times
Human laws have to rely on God's Law to work at all, fundamentally speaking.

The criminals in your country don't read law books before they are sent to prison, do they?

Humans are assumed to know law before they read any law books.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be fair, we have seen more rioting and public protesting in this country in the past 6-7 years or so than we saw in the past 2 decades. We've seen police officers targeted and killed.
I have been participating in peaceful protests for five plus decades. I have seen peaceful protesters beaten, tear gassed, fire hosed, and shot. It has never stopped me, or my parents, or grandparents. My children carry the legacy.

I do not approve of riot, however I understand the frustration and anger. We teach people to channel the anger into something productive. I approve of public protest.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I have been participating in peaceful protests for five plus decades. I have seen peaceful protesters beaten, tear gassed, fire hosed, and shot. It has never stopped me, or my parents, or grandparents. My children carry the legacy.

I do not approve of riot, however I understand the frustration and anger. We teach people to channel the anger into something productive. I approve of public protest.

My concern is not just the violent protests, but things like the "Occupy Wall St" thing that went on a few years ago. It wasn't violent, but we did see public property trashed. It was because people wanted what wasn't their's. You can blame the corporations...or the protesters. I don't care. I'm not going to argue the politics of it--but I will say that it is an example of things not being "better".

Old 01-27-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
My concern is not just the violent protests, but things like the "Occupy Wall St" thing that went on a few years ago. It wasn't violent, but we did see public property trashed. It was because people wanted what wasn't their's. You can blame the corporations...or the protesters. I don't care. I'm not going to argue the politics of it--but I will say that it is an example of things not being "better".
Occupy Wall St became smaller and smaller until it totally petered out. People were no longer interested, and moved on to the next shiny object. The trash? There is lots of trash in NYC, every parade, protest creates trash. You should see the garbage after Shakerspeare in the Park.

Jesus was a great protester. He made his point, and moved on to the next place. He spread his ideas one small community at a time.

OWS was not about taking something. It was about millions of people losing their life savings, and retirements, and putting a face on the devastating Wall St practices.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 AM

18,516 posts, read 9,198,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Crime has skyrocketed, young people have no respect, and there is no such thing as personal responsiblity.
I think that's an ancient Egyptian tomb inscription. I saw it in a museum once.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Occupy Wall St became smaller and smaller until it totally petered out. People were no longer interested, and moved on to the next shiny object. The trash? There is lots of trash in NYC, every parade, protest creates trash. You should see the garbage after Shakerspeare in the Park.

Jesus was a great protester. He made his point, and moved on to the next place. He spread his ideas one small community at a time.

OWS was not about taking something. It was about millions of people losing their life savings, and retirements, and putting a face on the devastating Wall St practices.
Whatever. I'm not going to discuss the politics of OWS, but am only using it to point out that there are people that don't consider this to be a "great place".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity