Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:27 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times

Advertisements

Where are the Skulls of Saints Peter and Paul? - Taylor Marshall

This shows where their skulls are and a bit about them. I would love to go on the pilgrimage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:49 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,050,503 times
Simon Peters and Paul's remains may be there but Jesus has their souls

Old 01-29-2016, 10:32 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,945,607 times
Doesn't anyone find it a bit gruesome that body parts of dead people are held as something to venerate? One would almost compare that too ancient tribal worship of forefathers.

Interesting perspective.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Doesn't anyone find it a bit gruesome that body parts of dead people are held as something to venerate? One would almost compare that too ancient tribal worship of forefathers.

Interesting perspective.
Yes. Many of us do.

Then, of course, there is really very little evidence to support the notion that they are what they say they are. Is it possible they're real? Very much so. But I am skeptical. I believe Luther once said....if all the "genuine" pieces of the cross were gathered up, a bridge could be built from them.

Having said that...there really is no example in Scripture of the idea of venerating an object or a dead person's remains.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,612,465 times
Has the tomb of Saint Peter really been found? To that question the answer is beyond all doubt yes. The tomb of the Prince of the Apostles has been found. Such is the final conclusion after all the labour and study of these years. A second question, subordinate to the first, refers to the relics of Saint Peter. Have they been found? At the side of the tomb remains of human bones have been discovered. However, it is impossible to prove with certainty that they belong to the apostle. This still leaves intact the historical reality of the tomb itself.
One reason for the Pope's caution was the absence of any physical reference to Peter in the vicinity of the aedicula. But that evidence arrived in startling circumstances just after the excavators had sent their final report to the Vatican publishers. Antonio Ferrua was visiting the site on his own one evening when he noticed that a piece of plaster from the wall on the right hand side of the shrine had worked itself free from the back of the wall, where it was placed against the crack in the Red Wall. Ferrua looked carefully at the fragment and noticed that some unknown hand had scratched two lines of Greek. On the upper line only the letters pi, epsilon, tau and rho were still visible, while of the lower line only epsilon, nu and part of a vertical line survived. Ferrua, however, with his grounding in Christian epigraphy, immediately restored the missing letters in his mind, so that the short inscription read "Petr[os] en[i]", "Peter is here within". He believed that at last, and through a stroke of fate that was almost miraculous, a crucial reference associating Peter with the aedicula had been found.
The Bones of Saint Peter?
John Curran
The Queen's University
Belfast

Old 01-29-2016, 12:32 PM

589 posts, read 332,241 times
Quote:

Interesting perspective.
good comment. i just wanna talk about your tagline. its good but gods words in the bible do teach you how to think. of course we do use our brains.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. Many of us do.

Then, of course, there is really very little evidence to support the notion that they are what they say they are. Is it possible they're real? Very much so. But I am skeptical. I believe Luther once said....if all the "genuine" pieces of the cross were gathered up, a bridge could be built from them.

Having said that...there really is no example in Scripture of the idea of venerating an object or a dead person's remains.
I've been in the catacombs at the Vatican, and although an interesting place, any archaeology is not done with a scientific goal, but a religious one. Seeing some of those popes lying in there what amazed me is how short many of them were.

Now, if you really want incredulity, go to the cathedral in Cologne.

The three wise men are entombed there. Yes. Really, in Germany.

Amazing, huh?

Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
I've been in the catacombs at the Vatican, and although an interesting place, any archaeology is not done with a scientific goal, but a religious one. Seeing some of those popes lying in there what amazed me is how short many of them were.

Now, if you really want incredulity, go to the cathedral in Cologne.

The three wise men are entombed there. Yes. Really, in Germany.

Amazing, huh?
Yes--sometimes religious people do irrational things. But I'm not going to pile on and criticize them any more...my point is not to try to trash the RCC. My point is that not all of us believe in relics and veneration as they do.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes--sometimes religious people do irrational things. But I'm not going to pile on and criticize them any more...my point is not to try to trash the RCC. My point is that not all of us believe in relics and veneration as they do.
Aww, come on, we were agreeing. Thought we might get on a roll here.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
good comment. i just wanna talk about your tagline. its good but gods words in the bible do teach you how to think. of course we do use our brains.
It reminds me of a debate I had with a priest at school (yeah, me, a non-baptized, atheist skeptic went to a Catholic school. We have those in Canada as part of the public school system...it's a long story).

I was being the logical skeptic I still am, and the way I figured it, either Mary committed adultery, or Jesus was a bastard. After 45 minutes, he gave up on this heathen and just said, "You just have to have faith."

He was a pretty good guy putting up with my discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity