Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You wouldn't know any of the above if you hadn't read it in the Bible. Thank you for proving my point.
You are still not getting the point of scripture...... To point you to knowing something far greater than them . Seek the Lord while he may be found..... Find the Lord where? In your bible?

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us

Now tell me with a straight face we find God in the bible.

What would you bible fundies ever do without a bible ? Die in a wilderness of cold turkey. But on a positive note it would be the best thing that ever happened to you

Last edited by pcamps; 02-12-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 05:16 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are still not getting the point of scripture...... To point you to knowing something far greater than them . Seek the Lord while he may be found..... Find the Lord where? In your bible?

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us

What would you bible fundies ever do without a bible ? Die in a wilderness of cold turkey. But on a positive note it would be the best thing that ever happened to you
Again, you wouldn't know the above if you weren't a bible idolater.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:41 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Quote:
No we chose to understand Scriptures that fit in with the example of Jesus Christ---not all Scripture does.

You, because of your Pharasaical stubborness must "create" or "explain" such verses as this:

Quote:
How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock.
Psalms 137:9

Now I'm sure you have a "story" or an "explanation" which slips you out of the ugliness of this particular verse. Except neither your story nor explanation is in the Bible---which means you ADD to Scripture that which it does not say.

For those of us who view the Bible through the lens of Jesus Christ--we dismiss it as a man made product---just as He did the very clear command in the OT to stone to death those caught in adultery. But without the Spirit of Christ you are condemned to live the life of the Pharisee making up stories to defend your idol.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:02 AM

802 posts, read 455,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No we chose to understand Scriptures that fit in with the example of Jesus Christ---not all Scripture does.

You, because of your Pharasaical stubborness must "create" or "explain" such verses as this:

Psalms 137:9

Now I'm sure you have a "story" or an "explanation" which slips you out of the ugliness of this particular verse. Except neither your story nor explanation is in the Bible---which means you ADD to Scripture that which it does not say.

For those of us who view the Bible through the lens of Jesus Christ--we dismiss it as a man made product---just as He did the very clear command in the OT to stone to death those caught in adultery. But without the Spirit of Christ you are condemned to live the life of the Pharisee making up stories to defend your idol.
RESPONSE;

"we dismiss it as a man made product"

Well, that's certainly true enough. The Bible's contradictions and errors make that pretty clear. But there are many who just can't admit that the Bible isn't really "God breathed" after all.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:32 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle's Child View Post
RESPONSE;
Well, that's certainly true enough. The Bible's contradictions and errors make that pretty clear. But there are many who just can't admit that the Bible isn't really "God breathed" after all.
These all-or-nothing conclusions are just tiresome. It isn't either/or, few things in life are.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Rather than take one verse out of context, it is best to see the whole context:

Psa 137:1-9 By the streams of Babylon, There we sat down and lamented, While we remembered Zion."
(2) On the oleanders in its midst We hung our harps, (3) For there our captors asked us for words of song,
And our enslavers for rejoicing: Sing for us from a song of Zion." (4) How should we sing a song of Yahweh
On foreign ground? (5) If I should forget you, Jerusalem, May my right hand forget its skill." (6) May my
tongue cling to my palate, If I should not remember you, If I should not elevate Jerusalem Over my principal
rejoicings." (7) Remember, O Yahweh, against Edom's sons, In Jerusalem's day, Those who were saying,
Raze it, raze it, Even to its foundation." (8) Daughter of Babylon, the devastator, Happy is he who shall
repay you With your dealing which you dealt to us." (9) Happy is he who shall hold and shatter your
unweaned children Against the crag.

In that era David lived, he was remising over the former Babylonian captivity. King David wanted revenge on the enemies of Israel who brought so much death and destruction on Israel's people. Those enemies shattered Israel's unweaned children agains the crag and he wanted it done back to them. No need to apologize for David's feelings.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle's Child View Post
RESPONSE;

But the Bible is God-breathed whether you say so or not.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Psa 137:1-9 By the streams of Babylon, There we sat down and lamented, While we remembered Zion."
(2) On the oleanders in its midst We hung our harps, (3) For there our captors asked us for words of song,
And our enslavers for rejoicing: Sing for us from a song of Zion." (4) How should we sing a song of Yahweh
On foreign ground? (5) If I should forget you, Jerusalem, May my right hand forget its skill." (6) May my
tongue cling to my palate, If I should not remember you, If I should not elevate Jerusalem Over my principal
rejoicings." (7) Remember, O Yahweh, against Edom's sons, In Jerusalem's day, Those who were saying,
Raze it, raze it, Even to its foundation." (8) Daughter of Babylon, the devastator, Happy is he who shall
repay you With your dealing which you dealt to us." (9) Happy is he who shall hold and shatter your

In that era David lived, he was remising over the former Babylonian captivity. King David wanted revenge on the enemies of Israel who brought so much death and destruction on Israel's people. Those enemies shattered Israel's unweaned children agains the crag and he wanted it done back to them. No need to apologize for David's feelings.
What verse have I taken out of context ?.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You are still missing the point of scripture. They do not testify of themselves to know them, they testify to know Christ and ourselves. Why is this so hard to understand.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Quote:

So in THIS case you don't take Scripture literally for what it says. Is revenge your god's modus operandi?
Or THIS verse doesn't reflect the God of love. It is either "god breathed" or not. And if David wants revenge he is usurping the right of God according to another verse:
Quote:
'Vengeance is Mine,---
Deut. 32:35a
or this verse:
Quote:
Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
Romans 12:19
Or maybe God "changes" over time despite Scripture stating He is unchangeable.

What makes you different from us liberals?
Quote:
But the Bible is God-breathed whether you say so or not.
And man written. Some of the stuff in the Bible--if it reflects your god---is pure halitosis on his part.

Trying to keep Scripture "perfect" is like trying to herd cats--it's a never ending proposition without a chance of a good result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity